PDA

View Full Version : Authentic campaigner site?

iron_schweick90
08-21-2006, 07:37 PM
Does anybody know what happend to the authentic-campaigner site?

Birddog
08-21-2006, 07:41 PM
There is an ongoing discussion above. Might be helpful, or not depending on how far you read!

Link:

http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1422

Wayne

toptimlrd
08-21-2006, 11:11 PM
In short, they are changing servers and the data was lost. The last I heard they were using a backup of the data to get the site back up and running.

JBW
08-22-2006, 12:33 PM
Since this is the whine cellar.......

How refreshing, a person asks a question that has already been discussed at least twice and doesn't get "do a search, you *@#$%^!! ".

(I think I'll run for cover now.....);)

Trooper Graham
08-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Since this is the whine cellar.......

How refreshing, a person asks a question that has already been discussed at least twice and doesn't get "do a search, you *@#$%^!! ".

(I think I'll run for cover now.....);)

That's the main reason I left the AC forum. Even though I would do numerous searches there were questions I asked afterwards that was answered in that same way. I said "thanks but no thanks". I believe in 100% authenticity but not in that frame of mind that draws on rudeness.
I have been reading postings here for awhile as a guest and I see members here seem to be more helpful. I hope it continues.
TG

tompritchett
08-22-2006, 03:08 PM
I have been reading postings here for awhile as a guest and I see members here seem to be more helpful. I hope it continues.
TG

So do I. We do our best to keep things civil here. (That and our searchable database is much smaller than the AC because of incompatiablities between the different versions of software that have been used here.)

toptimlrd
08-22-2006, 07:04 PM
So do I. We do our best to keep things civil here. (That and our searchable database is much smaller than the AC because of incompatiablities between the different versions of software that have been used here.)

As a member of both boards, I understand both sides. It can get frustrating to constantly answer the same quesion over and over again, but I am also a Scout Leader and I always have new Scouts coming in that need the same lessons. Usually what I will do is I will encourage using the search function when appropriate by saying something like "I searched these keywords and found these threads you may find helpful" or I may just say "this is being discussed in such and such folder" to help them learn how to do research. Believe me few people who have gone through the modern public education system really know how to conduct research. They are so used to memorizing facts and figures then regurgitating it on tests. My son is taking an AP history class now and whereas most of the kids are complaining, he is lapping it up since the answers to the questions are rarely straight forward or directly in the book. He often has to do supplimentary research to find the complete answer. Amazing how inspiring a joy in learning leads to such an interest in the mechanics of learning; but I digress.

toptimlrd
08-22-2006, 07:07 PM
As a member of both boards, I understand both sides. It can get frustrating to constantly answer the same quesion over and over again, but I am also a Scout Leader and I always have new Scouts coming in that need the same lessons. Usually what I will do is I will encourage using the search function when appropriate by saying something like "I searched these keywords and found these threads you may find helpful" or I may just say "this is being discussed in such and such folder" to help them learn how to do research. Believe me few people who have gone through the modern public education system really know how to conduct research. They are so used to memorizing facts and figures then regurgitating it on tests. My son is taking an AP history class now and whereas most of the kids are complaining, he is lapping it up since the answers to the questions are rarely straight forward or directly in the book. He often has to do supplimentary research to find the complete answer. Amazing how inspiring a joy in learning leads to such an interest in the mechanics of learning; but I digress.

Of course I tend to get grumpy as well, I reference my discussion on six wing caps elsewhere on the forum.