PDA

View Full Version : Ghostly EVP from Gettysburg, what drum cadence is it?

CWmainer
06-21-2009, 08:42 PM
This ghostly EVP was caught at Gettysburg at the 20th Maine site,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJXBvM_hA6I

I talked to the guy who recorded it and he seemed 100% legit. I'm going to be camping in Gettysburg in a few months and I'm from Maine so I am gong to be sure to check out the 20th Maine site.

The guy recorded civil war drums on his voice recorder, he didn't hear them when he was standing there. Do any civil war experts know the ghostly drum cadence?

GrumpyDave
06-22-2009, 05:33 AM
Sounds like the Gettysburg High School band practicing just over the hill. These jokers just need to go away. Please see the "attraction" thread.

David Hulsey
06-22-2009, 12:25 PM
I have to agree with Grumpy the drums sound more modern sounding,almost like that of a marching band.Maybe some of the musicions on this site could chime in and help out.

CWmainer
06-22-2009, 05:14 PM
I hope some musicians familiar with Civil War drums can help out.

The guy said there wasn't anybody around.

QUOTE "This was 7am on a sunday morning it was me and my wife, temp was 30 degrees and it was just about sunrise. There was nobody around except us. This is a legitimate recording." END QUOTE

I don't know why a high school band would be outside at sunrise at 7am on a Sunday morning. The guy sounded legit, I've had a few conversations with him on youtube.

I wonder if the drums can be matched to a Civil War "beat". Anyone familiar with the drum tunes?

hanktrent
06-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Back in the 1990s, there was a "ghost drummer" at Carnifex Ferry battlefield. I was told you could only hear it certain times, usually when it was quiet. And sure enough, very early one morning, I heard it. It sounded just like, well, someone drumming, random enough that it seemed human and not mechanical, and far enough off that you couldn't tell where it was coming from exactly. I tried to walk down in the woods a ways to find it, but couldn't follow the sound well enough.

Then I was told what it actually was, some kind of well pump I believe, that was poorly adjusted enough that it knocked. Don't know whether it ran all the time and ambient noise usually covered it or whether it cycled on and off. But it was a tradition to tell the story to all the fresh fish. One man said that when he'd been told the story, he heard a rooster crowing that sounded like someone shouting orders occasionally along with the drumming, for even more effect.

So before deciding the a sound must coming from a dead person, there are quite a few mundane explanations to explore first.

Hank Trent
hanktrent@gmail.com

David Hulsey
06-22-2009, 07:28 PM
I am not saying that it was a marching band,just that the drum sounded more like a modern marching snare as compared to a rope tension drum of that period.

Rob Weaver
06-23-2009, 06:43 AM
You heard something in that clip? All I heard was the guy whispering! Cussed high-frequency hearing loss! Don't get old, guys, it spoils your ghost hunting.

joe_korber
06-23-2009, 09:23 AM
Watched the video, heard a tiny snippet of some very mechanical sounding, tapping near the end of the video. Been around drums for over 30 years, what I heard didn't sound like any drumming I've ever been around, rope or rod tension. sounded more like a machine

plankmaker
06-23-2009, 10:05 AM
This was originally filmed for a car commercial. However, the makers noticed a ghostly figure following the car. Look closely and you can make it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBnsZQW2d90

Mark Campbell
Piney Flats, TN

David Hulsey
06-23-2009, 12:13 PM
No thank you I did not even have to watch It to know what was going to happen.My wife sent me that one in an email few years ago.It scared me so bad I peed my pants.

Rob Weaver
06-23-2009, 05:34 PM
That was great! I should not have been watching in a dark room by myself, tho...

musketbal
06-23-2009, 07:52 PM
I wasn't expecting that! Crap! I was leaning forward so I wouldn't mis what ever I was supposed to see. That scared the crap out of me. Almost knocked the key board off the self.

Brent Conner

reb64
06-23-2009, 08:01 PM
This ghostly EVP was caught at Gettysburg at the 20th Maine site,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJXBvM_hA6I

I talked to the guy who recorded it and he seemed 100% legit. I'm going to be camping in Gettysburg in a few months and I'm from Maine so I am gong to be sure to check out the 20th Maine site.

The guy recorded civil war drums on his voice recorder, he didn't hear them when he was standing there. Do any civil war experts know the ghostly drum cadence?

once dead the body dies, rots and the spirit sleeps awaiitng ressureection and judgement, no ghosts, sorry

CWmainer
06-23-2009, 08:23 PM
once dead the body dies, rots and the spirit sleeps awaiitng ressureection and judgement, no ghosts, sorry

Looks like this thread was a waste as it got high jacked with an obvious pop up scream video on youtube. Nobody here is an expert on civil war era drums...

The sound is very clearly drums, it ISN'T some pump well in the ground or any other type of noise.

5strings
06-23-2009, 09:18 PM
As this tread is barely keeping its head above water, we will give it a rest.