PDA

View Full Version : Blank Charge 1858 Remington

corp_stump
08-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Can anyone tell me a few ways of making blank cartridges for the 1858 Remington New Army? I've heard 12-15 gr ffg, but it seems it neds a filler and patch. ANy info is appreciated.

David Meister
08-18-2006, 03:54 PM
I use 30 grain and cream of wheat and i double load the cream of wheat

David Meister

John1862
08-18-2006, 06:16 PM
Here is a source I use on making combustable cartridges for my Colt Army. (Just dont use the ball). I am not sure if it is reenactment usable or safe, as I am still waiting for that promotion....

http://www.civilwarguns.com/9508.html

Rob Weaver
08-20-2006, 03:34 PM
Cigarette paper makes a nice material for pistol cartridges.

Dave Myrick
08-20-2006, 04:18 PM
To make a former, I took a 3/8 maple dowel rod (I use a Colt Navy) and sanded it until it fit snug in each chamber, then sanded some more to make a taper on one end. Next I wrap a hair curling paper over the tapered end and up around the former. Hair curling papers are about 2 1/2 x 4 so they are planty big enough, they are thin, burn VERY well, and very inexpensive something like $3 for 1000. After tightly wrapping the paper around the former, I slide the tube off and fill it with 20 grains of 3f. Twist the open end closed and put 6 in a cartridge packet.
To use, I simply withdraw one from the packet, hold it by the twisted end and insert it into a chamber. Ram it home using the loading lever, making sure all of the twisted paper ends up in the chamber. Then cap and you are ready to go. I have carried my revolver loaded in this manner for quite a few miles in the saddle at various events and have yet to experienced a problem with ignition when I pulled the trigger.
If you are loading an Army revolver, simply use a larger former and adjust the powder load accordingly to ensure that everything gets compressed firmly when loaded and rammed.
Dave

Ozark Iron John
08-20-2006, 06:42 PM
I reckon ya'll would be opposed to using them Wonder Wad type things. Wouldn't ya?

Frenchie
08-20-2006, 06:53 PM
I reckon ya'll would be opposed to using them Wonder Wad type things. Wouldn't ya?

Oh, jeez, there goes the neighborhood... :D

John, I've never used them, but I think the Wonder Wads might make too dangerous a projectile. Is that possible? What are they made of, anyway? I've never fired blanks from a revolver so this hasn't come up for me.

RJSamp
08-20-2006, 11:35 PM

Most events don't allow them.....

COW baby....

AZReenactor
08-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Can anyone tell me a few ways of making blank cartridges for the 1858 Remington New Army? I've heard 12-15 gr ffg, but it seems it neds a filler and patch. ANy info is appreciated.

I usually load nitrated paper tubes with 15 grains of powder then top off with Cream O' Wheat from a flask. The Cream O' wheat is what is required at most events I attend and it works well. Some fellows like to use more powder but I found it doesn't add anything. You actually will get a louder pop from the smaller powder charge since the additional cream of wheat you can load adds more compression.

Cav_Maj
08-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Bruce,
Please contact me off forum at MajSmokeyCS@wmconnect.com I will send you a file on what you will need to roll, fill, store, and load blank cartridges safely.

Regards,

Brian

cwcav3tn
08-21-2006, 01:49 PM
Cream of Wheatr works good.. So do Cocoa Puffs !!!!!!!

Have Fun

Kevin Wright 3rd TN Cav

Rob Weaver
08-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Next I wrap a hair curling paper over the tapered end and up around the former. Hair curling papers are about 2 1/2 x 4 so they are planty big enough, they are thin, burn VERY well, and very inexpensive something like $3 for 1000.
I use the same papers for rolling rounds for my Sharps, too. They do indeed burn very completely, and since they come pre-cut, rolling rounds takes next to no time.

Ozark Iron John
08-21-2006, 04:06 PM
I use 'em to practice with my horses, but in CMSA you've gotta use match ammo. .45LC Crimped.

I'll try'n figure out that cream-o-wheat stuff. I guess.

Cav_Maj
08-29-2006, 11:03 AM
I use 'em to practice with my horses, but in CMSA you've gotta use match ammo. .45LC Crimped.

I'll try'n figure out that cream-o-wheat stuff. I guess.
John,
Contact me at MajSmokeyCS@wmconnect.com, I'll send you the same file I sent the poster of the question. It explains why the Cream of Wheat. It also seams that the revolver you are using is post CW. You say you use crimped 45LC brass cartridge ammo that makes your revolver a .45, the CW pistols were mostly .36 and .44 cal.
Regards,
Brian Woodyard
SCV Camp # 1388 Harry W. Gilmor

Frenchie
08-29-2006, 04:42 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce Ozark Iron John, aka 'Wild Man' (not to be confused with S. Chris 'Wild Man' Anders). John is a pard of mine in the sport of Western Action Shooting (WAS). Despite the fact that he's an unreconstructed Rebel and a cavalryman, he's good people (hey, nobody's perfect). :D

Ozark Iron John
08-30-2006, 12:13 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce Ozark Iron John, aka 'Wild Man' (not to be confused with S. Chris 'Wild Man' Anders). John is a pard of mine in the sport of Western Action Shooting (WAS). Despite the fact that he's an unreconstructed Rebel and a cavalryman, he's good people (hey, nobody's perfect). :D

Hey Frenchie, thanks for the good words. I don't care what them other guys say, I think you're all right! :D

rebel225
09-02-2006, 03:46 PM
20 grains of 3f, topped off with cream of wheat, works great.