PDA

View Full Version : The other place

reddcorp
08-17-2006, 02:59 PM
Just wondering if I'm the only one who can't click into the other site, you know, the AC Forums? I like to see how the other half lives.

AWRedd

VaTrooper
08-17-2006, 03:04 PM
My computer has been giving me fits with it all morning. Sometimes I can get on but sometimes I cant. Its been off for an hour now. Do you use AOL?

Rob
08-17-2006, 03:09 PM
All I see is "There is no website configured at this address."

:confused:

VaTrooper
08-17-2006, 03:12 PM
All I see is "There is no website configured at this address."

:confused:

Diddo. I've been able to sneak in one or twice though.

Lee Ragan
08-17-2006, 03:38 PM
I looked at their site yesterday, but today it won't come up. Appears the site is down for some reason.

trippcor
08-17-2006, 04:10 PM
The AC forum is temporarily down as our hosting company moves things over to a new serve that will allow us to have more room. Hopefully things will settle down soon.

Tripp Corbin
Assistant Admin
Authentic Campaigner

VaTrooper
08-17-2006, 04:42 PM
With the AC down I wouldnt be suprised to see this place get a lot of attention tonight.

RJSamp
08-17-2006, 11:02 PM
Just wondering if I'm the only one who can't click into the other site, you know, the AC Forums? I like to see how the other half lives.

AWRedd

Understand what you mean, but got a kick out of your measurement......

let's see.....1,000 CPH vs 30 or 50 or 70 (I don't believe that number) thousand mainstream reenactors?

Bill_Cross
08-18-2006, 09:23 AM
RJ, you KNOW that one campaigner is equal to 1,000 mainstreamers....

in ego
gall
verbiage
self-importance

;-)

Trimmings
08-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Much has been written. Little has been said.

Ray Prosten

Old Cremona
08-18-2006, 11:18 AM
All rat, I ain't embarrassed to admit it.

I miss the AC!

NoahBriggs
08-18-2006, 12:00 PM
Well, It's good to see both fora have almost the exact same layout for navigating.

It even has a search function. What a remarkable idea!

VaTrooper
08-18-2006, 09:45 PM
There are a couple hundred reenactors wandering around in cyberspace trying to figure out what else they can use their computer for and checking their favorites every couple minutes waiting for the site to come back up.

Rob Weaver
08-19-2006, 06:14 AM
Well, It's good to see both fora have almost the exact same layout for navigating.

It even has a search function. What a remarkable idea!
It's a rare pleasure to read the words of an educated man who knows the plural of "forum." See what good a Latin education will do you!

Provost
08-19-2006, 10:38 AM
Much obliged for the explanation. Best of luck with your new location.

tompritchett
08-19-2006, 12:29 PM
See what good a Latin education will do you!

But with a Greek background, you get to have a silent laugh whenever someone states that they are a sophomore.

However, in your second year of Latin, you do learn that Caesar had as much problem with the Normandy hedgerows as the Allies did in WWII (yes they do go that far back in history)

marylandreb
08-19-2006, 01:24 PM
One would think that an Authentic Campaigner wouldn't use a computer. :p

Rob Weaver
08-19-2006, 02:47 PM
But with a Greek background, you get to have a silent laugh whenever someone states that they are a sophomore.

However, in your second year of Latin, you do learn that Caesar had as much problem with the Normandy hedgerows as the Allies did in WWII (yes they do go that far back in history)
When you can read Greek, you get to tell the fraternity brothers that their mottos are spelled incorrectly! (Or give them alternate translations, which can be almost as much fun!) Ah, those were the days!

Jim of the SRR
08-20-2006, 11:25 AM

let's see.....1,000 CPH vs 30 or 50 or 70 (I don't believe that number) thousand mainstream reenactors?

I think the breakdown is more like this:
10,000 mainstream reenactors
5,000 cyber reenactors
1,000 c/p/h reenactors

Regards,
Jim Butler

Julio C. Zangroniz
08-20-2006, 01:14 PM
I think there's a lot more than 10,000 "mainstream" reenactors active today, particularly if we count each and every body that may come out of the woodwork for one or two, perhaps a few more, events a year.
My involvement with this hobby (I know a lot of you don't like that word, but that *is* what it is) can be traced back to the year that U.S. News & World Report had a cover story about CW reenacting --and they had none other than the late Chuck Hillsman on the cover-- and the magazine claimed the figure in the U.S. alone was close to 50,000. At this late in the game, I cannot recall what their source for that figure might have been, but on the basis of my experience, I think it's about the most accurate.
And I don't think the magazine folks even knew that there were (and are) substantial numbers of American Civil War reenactors in England, France and Germany, as well as smaller numbers in many other countries (for instance, in 1995 and 1997, I attended "internationals" held at Weston Park, in England, where something in the neighborhood of 1,500 participants, representing a total of 16 countries, took part in CW reenactments).
Also, from the volume of traffic and "static" heard in various fora (is that the correct term, professors?), I think there are far more than 5,000 "cyber" reenactors. Or maybe most of them are reenactors wannabes.
And there may well be 1,000 c/p/h types, but I have never witnessed more than 300 together at any one event. Somebody, please enlighten me if I'm wrong, but that's my personal belief. But they do tend to "sound" like a lot more --I'll agree to that.
Respectfully,
Julio Zangroniz

Rob Weaver
08-20-2006, 03:22 PM
Wow! What a thoughtful post! And all I was going to say was that AC is still down after a whole weekend. A wargame site on which I used to post folded after 3 days when no one could post; somehow I suspect that we old-fashioned types are a bit more patient and forgiving. And campaigners probably never thought they'd see those 2 words used simultaneously to describe them! :)
OK - so this may be considered a threadjack: At what point is a person a reenactor? How many times a year should one actually do this "hobby" in order to be considered counted? Is it like deer hunting where the guy who buys a license but spends most of his time cooking for his buddies at deer camp still describes himself as a "hunter?"

trippcor
08-20-2006, 03:40 PM
Well appears that the hosting company during their attempt to upgrade the server that the AC site was on, managed to lose all the data. Luckly a back up was made just prior to the Hosting company crashing the site so little should be lost. Matt Woodburn, Eric Tipton and myself are working to get the site back up and running. Please be patient with us as this may take a little time to get everything back up and functioning.

Tripp Corbin
Assistant Admin
Authentic Campaigner

RJSamp
08-20-2006, 03:42 PM
RJ, you KNOW that one campaigner is equal to 1,000 mainstreamers....

in ego
gall
verbiage
self-importance

;-)

A thousand Swedes ran through the weeds, chased by the Smell of one Norwegian....

flattop32355
08-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Well appears that the hosting company during their attempt to upgrade the server that the AC site was on, managed to lose all the data. Luckly a back up was made just prior to the Hosting company crashing the site so little should be lost. Matt Woodburn, Eric Tipton and myself are working to get the site back up and running. Please be patient with us as this may take a little time to get everything back up and functioning.

Ain't technology wonderful!!!!!

Seriously, take the time needed to get it up and running properly. Better to wait a while longer and get it right than have it running in starts and stops.

As for actual numbers of CW reenactors, it's pretty much anyone's guess. Since it is not a tightly knit hobby, there's just no way to accurately account for numbers. Most units can't determine how many "members" are actually active in a given year.

The most accurate way to underestimate the total ( if you catch my drift) is to take the last, largest event in relatively recent history, figuring there's probably a significant number more than that out there.

And who is a reenactor? Depends upon how you wish to define the term. Someone who has participated in more than one reenactment/LH/event? Someone who reenacts the way I believe it ought to be done, rather than "theme camping"? This is one of those questions where, if you ask 10,000 people, you're liable to get at least 10,001 different answers.

I've generally heard between 25- and 35,000 CW reenactors worldwide. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the largest number to attend a given event at G'burg some years ago, possibly the 135th, at in excess of 20,000? It was before I got active, so I could be wrong on all counts.

FWL
08-20-2006, 04:31 PM

Tripp Corbin
Assistant Admin
Authentic Campaigner

Good luck

Frank Lilley
Sore Foot Mess

bizzilizzit
08-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Ain't technology wonderful!!!!!
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the largest number to attend a given event at G'burg some years ago, possibly the 135th, at in excess of 20,000? It was before I got active, so I could be wrong on all counts.

I believe, Sir that the 135th Antietam had an "official" number of 17,000 reenactors registered for the event - the actual number was closer to 22,000. I believe the 135th G'burg fell short of that.
Maybe the 150th events will top those numbers?
Elizabeth

TeamsterPhil
08-20-2006, 07:33 PM
The "official" count at Gettysburg 135th was 15,000. That is what their permit allowed. The scuttlebutt put the number anywhere from 22,000 to 33,000. One of my sources claimed they had 28,000 event medallions that were all handed out. Whether any of that is true, only the profitmongerers know.

Phil Campbell

tompritchett
08-20-2006, 08:16 PM
The "official" count at Gettysburg 135th was 15,000. That is what their permit allowed. The scuttlebutt put the number anywhere from 22,000 to 33,000. One of my sources claimed they had 28,000 event medallions that were all handed out. Whether any of that is true, only the profitmongerers know.

Phil Campbell

Especially with allegations that I have heard of some past "for-profit" organizers "losing" some or all walk-on registrations and then pocketing the moneys for themselves. Would be interesting to see whether or not there were discrepancies in the number of medalions or other such tokens and the number of official registrations recorded at some of the past mega-events. But I doubt that we will ever know for sure.

tompritchett
08-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Regarding the 135th Gettysburg, which I was not at, I have received an email on "official" versus actual attendance numbers from someone who I fully trust but whose name I can not reveal for valid reasons as he explained to me. When this individual registered on Thursday he was told that the official total of reenactors would not exceed 17,000 as not to break the arrangements that they had made with the local government officials. The individual was then told that the total of pre-registered and current walk-ons was somewhere in the range of 24,000 - and this was on Thursday. Sorry but I can not go into more specifics on what I was told or by whom.

ley74
08-20-2006, 09:25 PM
Tom:

I you start wondering where the financials from the 135th Gettysburg, you will get ole Glen Le$ in trouble.

dedogtent
08-20-2006, 09:36 PM
I was at the 135th Gettysburg and being the Mainstream event that is was, it sure had some magic moments. Little Round Top, and Culp's Hill in the misty rain were amazing battles. Of course Sunday's Pickett's Charge will never be duplicated. I was told 11,000 Rebs came out of the woodsline that day. It sure looked like it with their bayonets fixed as they stepped off. Us Yanks just sat there and admired what we saw coming at us. In the weeks that followed with the news of the shooting taking up alot of forum space, I remember the attendence figure being 23,000. I guess it really doesn't matter now because I'm sure we will never have numbers like that again. And that is fine with me also as I prefer the smaller events these days.

Julio C. Zangroniz
08-20-2006, 11:23 PM
Who among the members of this list purchased, and still holds on to, the special color supplement published by The Civil War News about the 135th Gettysburg?
It's probably a collector's item by now.
What is your favorite image, if any, in it?
Last time I checked the newspaper's website, The Civil War News still had that supplement advertised for sale.
It was a *great* collection of a bunch of very special moments at that event. And I must admit that it may sound like a self-serving observation, since my wife and I were among the contributing photographers to it.
Even in spite of that fact, that supplement was a great compilation of images from a reenactment the likes of which I'm afraid we will never see duplicated within our lifetimes.
But of course, I hope I'm wrong.
Julio

pipthelimey
08-21-2006, 04:25 AM
Actually, it's interesting, c/p/h reenactors are not only more likely to own a computer, and to use it for real research, but they are also more likely to have a college education!

Andrew Jerram

(Based on informal survey of c/p/h attendees at an event vs. mainstream attendees at an event in Tennessee. Very informal I know, but the differences in numbers was so profound, that I think the trend will hold. 78% of c/p/h attendees had (or were getting) degrees, while 43% of mainstreamers did.)

BobSullivanPress
08-21-2006, 05:28 PM
Actually, it's interesting, c/p/h reenactors are not only more likely to own a computer, and to use it for real research, but they are also more likely to have a college education!

Andrew Jerram

(Based on informal survey of c/p/h attendees at an event vs. mainstream attendees at an event in Tennessee. Very informal I know, but the differences in numbers was so profound, that I think the trend will hold. 78% of c/p/h attendees had (or were getting) degrees, while 43% of mainstreamers did.)

Let's see..., how can I put this without getting hammered by the provost?

Evidently, there's also a percentage of these c/p/h people that may use a computer, but are unaware of the definition of "manners".

From the "Manners" Post at the top of this group:
"And please, lets stop having these campaigners vs. mainstreamer fights. No one wins and no one will change their minds because of them. Overall the hobby often loses because people get turned off, burned out or just so upset that they leave the hobby. "

MStuart
08-21-2006, 07:44 PM
78% of c/p/h attendees had (or were getting) degrees, while 43% of mainstreamers did.)

Talk about being "outnumbered"! It has sometimes been suggested that us "mainstreamers" were too stupid to see the light. I guess this just proves it :-)

Mark

Gonna go work on my "times" and "guzintas" now

Did you hear the one about the priest, the rabbi, and the mainstreamer?

dedogtent
08-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Who among the members of this list purchased, and still holds on to, the special color supplement published by The Civil War News about the 135th Gettysburg?
It's probably a collector's item by now.
What is your favorite image, if any, in it?
Last time I checked the newspaper's website, The Civil War News still had that supplement advertised for sale.
It was a *great* collection of a bunch of very special moments at that event. And I must admit that it may sound like a self-serving observation, since my wife and I were among the contributing photographers to it.
Even in spite of that fact, that supplement was a great compilation of images from a reenactment the likes of which I'm afraid we will never see duplicated within our lifetimes.
But of course, I hope I'm wrong.
Julio

Julio, I still have the photo supplement. I had to buy it. It had photos of me and my pards from the 2nd Delaware fighting on Little Round Top....lol. Seriously thou, it was packed full of great images.

Julio C. Zangroniz
08-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Good for you, John!
I don't know how well that special supplement sold, not being privy to the internal business affairs of The Civil War News, but I hope it did well.
Let's face it, at under $5 per copy for a collection of about 150 *exclusive* images (that is, not to be found anywhere else), that supplement was a **** of a good deal. Of course, I'm deeply biased on the matter, being one of the contributing photographers (my apologies for this continuous reminder, but I don't want anyone else popping up and accusing me of having a "hidden agenda" at some future point).
One thing I know for sure... my wife and I hoofed around that site for about four days (nearly seven, in my case) searching for the best possible images from the event, and I think that the final results justified all our efforts, as well as those of the other photographers who contributed to the supplement.
Maybe the next time I speak or cross e-mails with the editors of the newspaper I will inquire about how they did with it, financially-speaking.
I'm sorry to say that they have never done a similar project in the interim seven years --and that may or may not be an indication of how well that 1998 supplement sold.
I think it behooves the reenacting community (in all honesty, whether my wife and I are involved in such a project or not) to support efforts such as that special supplement. Otherwise, they will not happen again, and the single biggest loser will be the reenacting community.
Sincerely,
Julio

Catherine Kelly
08-22-2006, 02:46 PM
We did our part my DH bought 4 copies.... and we still have all 4 copies..

Matt Woodburn
08-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Gang,

We have the Authentic Campaigner running with an old back up. Recent posts will not be found, but we are working to restore them. You will not be able to find the site with the normal www.authentic-campaigner.com. To get to the site go to www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/index.php.

Sorry for the inconvenience and I hope you have been enjoying Bob's site.

Best Regards,
Matt Woodburn
Authentic Campaigner Administrator

VaTrooper
08-26-2006, 02:41 PM
Nevermind.

toptimlrd
08-26-2006, 03:59 PM
Gang,

We have the Authentic Campaigner running with an old back up. Recent posts will not be found, but we are working to restore them. You will not be able to find the site with the normal www.authentic-campaigner.com. To get to the site go to www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/index.php.

Sorry for the inconvenience and I hope you have been enjoying Bob's site.

Best Regards,
Matt Woodburn
Authentic Campaigner Administrator

Matt,

I tried to log in but it wouldn't let me in.

VaTrooper
08-26-2006, 04:34 PM
Robert,
I had the same problem. I was thinking it coulbe be because I wasnt a member in 04' when that was saved.

toptimlrd
08-26-2006, 10:20 PM
Robert,
I had the same problem. I was thinking it coulbe be because I wasnt a member in 04' when that was saved.

Neither was I so that is probably it.

Thanks.

NC5thcav
08-26-2006, 10:38 PM
Ahh, brings back old memories. I had been a member for a while, so I could sign in. Kinda like a time machine.;)

trippcor
08-27-2006, 01:38 AM
Those of you who can not get on two things:
If you were a member in 2004, then your password has most likely changed. So unless you can remember your password from 2 years ago, you will need to pick forgot password. That will reset your password and send you an email with a new one.

If you were not a member in 2004, then you will need to register again.

Greg Deese
08-27-2006, 04:53 PM
This is the best it's going to get right Tripp?

Matt Woodburn
08-27-2006, 07:24 PM
Greg,

This is the best we can do in the amount of time we've had. It's not an option that I like and refuse to lose all the posts from 2004 to present without exploring all my options. We have files that are locked with the data in them. I'm working to get cPanel and my hosting company to co-operate but it's been a challenge. Also they don't care to work on weekends so that slowed it down this weekend.

And to Bob Szabo, tell your hosting company to notify you before they ever move your site to a larger server. If you do a backup at the same time the hosting company does the move coincidentally, it will have very bad results. That's what happened to me.

Again, sorry to everyone for the inconvenience.

Provost
08-27-2006, 08:34 PM
Matt,

Thanks for the hard work you and others have put in and for keeping us up to date.

Actually, we own our own servers, so we have met our hosting company and they is us.

It's a real pain when you lose your archives, I know.

We haven't lost ours but we just haven't been able to get them into a database for public access. Different state of affairs, but same result.

Best of luck with the A/C,

Provost

NC5thcav
08-28-2006, 10:18 AM
Tripp, Matt, thanks for the hard work guys. We really appreciate it.

Rob
08-30-2006, 12:25 AM
Those of you who can not get on two things:
If you were a member in 2004, then your password has most likely changed. So unless you can remember your password from 2 years ago, you will need to pick forgot password. That will reset your password and send you an email with a new one.

If you were not a member in 2004, then you will need to register again.

I re-registered under a new screen name (Rob) and have not been able to get in - all threads are locked. (I did not get a confirmation.)

My old screen name did not work either. (I joined in late '04.)

HighPrvt
08-30-2006, 04:54 AM
I too re-registered, with the same results.

Rob
08-30-2006, 05:15 AM
Well, let's give 'em some time. They're probably busier than a one-armed wallpaper hanger.

toptimlrd
08-30-2006, 06:44 PM
Well, let's give 'em some time. They're probably busier than a one-armed wallpaper hanger.
The one armed paper hanger probably has an unfair advantage right now. I'm just going to patiently wait for Matt and his folks to get me reactivated and hope all goes well for him.

Union Navy
08-31-2006, 10:36 AM
So, Matt, do I go ahead and try to register, or wait for a while longer? If I register again, will all the linkage to my old posts be lost, and will I be basically "starting over?" Is there any chance that I will be able to get my old account back, or should I give up hope of that? Just what you need - more questions!

FWL
08-31-2006, 02:04 PM
So, Matt, do I go ahead and try to register, or wait for a while longer? If I register again, will all the linkage to my old posts be lost, and will I be basically "starting over?" Is there any chance that I will be able to get my old account back, or should I give up hope of that? Just what you need - more questions!

Bob I just re-registered using my old user name and PW. At first it rejected my old password but seemed to recognize my user name. I just clicked on "forgot my PW" got a temporary one by email and changed it back to my old PW. Got to think if the PW field has your old PW in it (its a data base so there should only be one field for PWs) you should be ok. In fact two of my old messages were there in my private mail box. As I see it I did not start a new account just updated the old one.

Hope that helps

Regards

huntdaw
09-01-2006, 12:18 AM
I was able to get on several days ago when the forum came back up just by clicking on my favorites. Didn't have a problem at all. My avatar had disappeared but everything else was just fine.

Union Navy
09-01-2006, 10:08 AM
Bob I just re-registered using my old user name and PW. At first it rejected my old password but seemed to recognize my user name. I just clicked on "forgot my PW" got a temporary one by email and changed it back to my old PW. Got to think if the PW field has your old PW in it (its a data base so there should only be one field for PWs) you should be ok. In fact two of my old messages were there in my private mail box. As I see it I did not start a new account just updated the old one.

Hope that helps

Regards
I only ever had one password. As for requesting a new one, I tried that, and it doesn't recognize my email address either. It just says:
"You have not entered an email address that we recognise. Please try again or contact the webmaster."
I really don't want to bother Matt with this if I can help it, but I'm going through withdrawal here!

VaTrooper
09-01-2006, 11:00 AM
Ive seen a couple "recruits" posting over there. Between working on getting the siteback up and all the registration request Im sure they're just swamped.

trippcor
09-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Everyone,
We appreciate your patience as the AC Forum is being restored. Rest assured Matt, Eric and I are working very hard to get everything back up and running. Matt is working with Cpanel to attempt and recover the data in our corrupted back up. They have made some headway so we are not giving up just yet.

However, we are going ahead with recreating what we can just in case recovery of the back up is not possible. For those with difficulty signing on, try a couple of things while keeping in mind the back up we used to start with is from Sept 2004. First, if you were not a member at that time you will need to register again. We are getting a lot of new registrations and it is taking sometime to process them all. So please bear with us. Second if you were a member at that time, the easiest thing to do is click on the "forgot password" and follow those steps. Also remember two things, there was a period where everyone was asked to switch their user name to match their true name. That occured after the Sept 2004 backup so you might need to remeber that older user name. Second, if you switched email addresses since Sept 2004, your user account will still be pointing to the old one. If this is the case, the easiest solution will be to register with a new account. This will get you back up and running for now. If we are able to recover the corrupted backup we should be able to merge your old and new accounts.

I hope this helps. The AC Admins and Moderators are sorry for this lose of data and access. We are doing our best to restore the AC as quickly as possible as well as taking steps to help ensure it will not happen again.