PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Hawaii

Ofcalipka
06-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Yes there are a few of us Civil War reenactor types out this way. Sadly there are few events that are within the financial reach of my participation as of late. I've been to quite a few events over the years as I used to live in Maryland and have seen a few attempts over the years to start up some sort of unit here in Hawaii but none have stayed around. So all that is left is various living history displays at the local museums and our local Civil War Round table. I've been lurking these forums for a while now and thought I should at least introduce myself. If anyone knows of any Civil War groups that meet out here in my neck of the woods I would love to get together with them. Until then I will continue to do my best at living history displays with my garrison interpretation of the Baltimore Light Infantry. (A unit that never mustered full strength and never saw the elephant until it was adsorbed by the 3rd MD) somehow this unit seemed appropriate to me for my situation.

Aloha,
Adam LIPKA

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
06-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Hallo!

Welcome!

CHS

Pvt. Sweetey
06-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Hello! Glad to see Hawaii bringing up arms in defense of the Union (or Confederacy)! Keep up the good work and don't stop trying to rally men!

GaWildcat
06-09-2009, 07:23 AM
Aloha Bra! What Island are you on?? I am guessing O'ahu. My wifes first trip to Hawai'i was our first date 5 years ago.. good to see the 808 being represented!!

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
06-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Hallo!

I think he is on the Sandwich Islands.

;) :)

CHS

Huck
06-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Aloha,

I was once in that same boat as yourself, found myself in the Sandwich Islands for a while, but never fears you can get a small taste and I mean very small of the time period. When I was station there I was a member of the www.hawaiicivilwarroundtable.com/, yes there is one. Last information I had on their meeting place was at the Bowfin Museum. The person to contact is Damian at 808-262-5604.

Somewhere I have photos of me on the beach in my stuff. When I was there between 97 and 2000, there were four of us. One of them is the owner of Dogriver Glass works.

Yes children of the missionaries did make it back to New England to join up.

GaWildcat
06-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Hallo!

I think he is on the Sandwich Islands.

;) :)

CHS

Oh but Curt, there are many Islands to chose from in the Kingdom of Hawai'i...
O'ahu, Moloka'i, Maui, Lana'i, Kaua'i, Hawai'i...

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
06-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Hallo!

Yes, a chain of islands.

My joke, er point, was that if anyone other than a local, missionary, or a whaler, etc., knew the local names, an "American" here in the States might have known only "Sandwich Islands" in the 19th century.

:)

CHS

3rd_PA_Artillery
06-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Hello, sir, and welcome to the forums. I just found an article on Yahoo involving the Civil War and the Aloha State that may be of interest to you:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090609/ap_on_re_us/us_hawaii_lincoln_document

Remise
06-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Adam --

I have a pard in your part of the world. I have sent him an email asking him to contact you. Perhaps you already know him -- here is a photo of his latest living history. It's not quite the Pennsylvania Monument, but I'll wager the scenery was better!

B.C. Milligan
Company K, First Penna. Reserves

Huck
06-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Now, I have to find the photos of the few of us in Honolulu in the late 90's.

Ofcalipka
06-09-2009, 05:27 PM
You are correct sir in that these were the sandwich islands at that time.
I currently live on Oahu and the roundtable doesn't seem to have regular meetings anymore and is now headed up by Justin Vance, but I keep up with them at the facebook group listed below as well as the reenactor group on yahoo. We will be doing a living history garrison camp life display at the Hawaii Historic Arms Associations July 5th live fire Gettysburg memorial shoot at the Kokohead gun range. I'm not sure how many will be there but there is usually about 10 or so that shoot and I'm hoping at least 2 others will show for the display side of the event.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/reenactorsinhawaii/

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=47004153610

Adam LIPKA

Ofcalipka
06-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Here is one of my favorite photos from one of the Gettysburg shoots we did back in 2004 at the Kokohead gun range.

Huck
06-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Yes I do remember the display we used to set up for the Hawaii Historic Arms Associations and the memorial shoot at the Kokohead gun range. Some of the few times I could get away with wearing the wools when I was out there.

bobbyjoe49
12-12-2010, 11:26 PM
i used to live there but came home to north carolina to catch onto to some of the family genealogy most of you who dont live in hawaii it is nice there beautiful weather yes and these guys are trying hard to start a unit there for drills and marching firing volleys during a reenactment i dont blame them for trying i hope they get this chance by 2011 and i hope they do have that opportunity to do it, i have done most battles here and it is rewarding for me as well as i still practice at home which i now have my first musket i just got and working with it so i do hope they are doing good keep up the work you all will eventually get more men as you may want to try recruiting them with pamphlets explaining the civil war unit and contact on back of it to contact the person of that unit try doing that we do that here and it works and someday i will come and visit there and see how things are take care and aloha

D.W. Scalf
12-13-2010, 12:14 AM
Man, you'd be just about as close to come down and do a Living History with us in Queensland Australia!! Don't give up trying to rally the boys! We have about 8 in our mess here in Brisbane. With various other mainstream guys around the area as well. There are also groups in New South Wales(Sydney), Victoria, etc. We have a pretty good crowd when we all get together...for Australia that is.

Can't wait to get back home to the States in a few years and do some events though....

D.W.(Trace)Scalf