PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Sam's Sutlery

Pvt. Sweetey
06-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Hi, I am looking into buying something from Uncle Sam's Sutlery, but I am scared that it will be crappy. A long time ago, I went on and the prices were dirt cheap, no contact info, and very little description. Now, I have recently went back and it is a lot better. The pictures look decent and the prices don't vary much, it even says their stuff is made in the USA. Has anybody purchased something from there and got crap, or are they a good sutler?

Yellowhammer Rebel
06-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Use the search function. I believe that they are scam artists and that people have complained about them before on this forum.

If the deals are to good to be true, it probably is.

Go with established businesses, like Missouri Boot and Shoe, Nick Duval, E J Thomas Mercantile, etc. get quality the first time, you won't be sorry.

Ross L. Lamoreaux
06-08-2009, 10:30 AM
This was indeed discussed before, but was heavily edited and deleted as the responses got heated. Short story is: save your money and go to an established vendor, of which you can do your searches on here quite easily. A dollar to Uncle Sam's Sutlery is like Fed Exing your money directly to Pakistan. There is much more involved in a repro item than price, and even if on a tight budget you can do much better than to waste it there.

GaWildcat
06-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Save your money... go for the correct stuff.

mnreb
06-08-2009, 03:05 PM
I could not agree more. Save you money and get the correct gear the 1st time around. You won't be sorry.

Bill Feuchtenberger
Co. H
1st South Carolina Volunteers
"It Do"

Pvt. Sweetey
06-08-2009, 03:20 PM
I know that we all want to be 100% accurate but I just dont have the money and I am in the thick of the reenacting season, saving up for a good one will take a while and I have reenactments very soon. Right now I need to buy a ok-looking fill-in cap. Is Uncle Same Sutlery any good?

KeystoneGuard
06-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Cody,
Take the advise of the gentlemen above, stear clear. Stick with those who we have done business with in the past and are reliable. Dirt cheap is not necessarily a good thing!

Purchase a cap from the vendors listed on our groups website. I have a few listed that have reasonable prices for their wares and will fall into your price range.

The Rambling Irishman
06-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Cody, what type of cap are you looking for? Federal, Confederate, ANV, AOT, Early War, Late War, etc? How much do you have budgeted for this cap?

There maybe someone out there that will give you the hook up brother.

I would stay away from a business that only has an e-mail. No address, no location, no phone number, no names. Bad way to run a business, and I can say that, because my name is on my site, along with my e-mail and phone number.

Justin

MarkTK36thIL
06-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Talk to your unit and see if anyone has loaner gear. I'd probably be a $1000 richer if I didn't buy junk from the beginning and just went for accuracy, cause you're still going to have to get good stuff at some point.

Yellowhammer Rebel
06-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Talk to your unit and see if anyone has loaner gear. I'd probably be a $1000 richer if I didn't buy junk from the beginning and just went for accuracy, cause you're still going to have to get good stuff at some point.

Hear, hear on that!!

Been there done that got ripped off for it!!

Don't waste your money friend, do it right the first time and you won't be sorry. Not only does it last longer (trust me I found out the hard way) but if you ever want to sell it the resale value is much, much higher than the farb sutler row stuff.

Most units have loaner stuff or someone willing to sell an extra one. Save you money up for quality.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
06-08-2009, 05:20 PM
HAllo!

Herr Cody...

You question is easy to ask, but hard to answer.

What is "good?"

There are segments of the Civil War Community where the absolute lowest cost without regard to quality is "good." Get me on the field with the minimum amount of expense.

There are segments of the Civil War Community where the absolute lowest cost without regard to quality is okay, because they hope to save up the money and move up the Sliding Scale of Imperfetion's ladder rungs.

There are segments of the Civil War Community where the lowest cost needs some measure of durability and "good enough" or "look alike" authenticity quality is okay for where they choose to sit on the Sliding Scale of Imperfection's ladder rungs.

There are segments of the Civil War Community where there is a balance scale between quality and authenticity for where they choose to sit on the Sliding Scale of Imperfection's ladder rungs.

There are segments of the Civil War Community where the cost does not matter because authenticity in terms of orignal items is what tye want and need for where they choose to sit on the Sliding Scale of Imperfetion's ladder rungs.

And, there are makers, vendors, and sutlers who serve all of these different rungs- whether low cost Pakistani, Indian, or Chinese imports radically marked up, or well known "premier' makers who command and earn the Top Dollar that the CW Market is willing to pay for thier wares.
Plus all of the folks in between what is "good" for being the cheapest possible useable item or "good" for being the most authentic copy of the original item?

IMHO, these questions are better answered when the asker frames what he is looking for first, and then allows the answerers to match the Market with his needs and wants by sharing resources that serve that Hobby niche market.

Others' mileage will vary...

CHS

tompritchett
06-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Forum policies do not allow posts that negatively describe a sutler. The fact that this thread must be shut down because few here can find anything at all positive to say about this sutler should in itself speak volumes in answer to your question.