PDA

View Full Version : Rich Mountain Financials

Eric Tipton
08-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Comrades:

In the interest of full disclosure...

It has taken a little while to compile this, but here it is. The town of Beverly is still collecting cell phones. We figure that we will collect approximately $100 - $150 from the cell phone drive. This is not included in the total. Bottom line is that our original total income goal (http://www.richmountain.org/2006event/Preservation.htm) was $13,500 and we beat this by $1,777.19. Even with expenses included, we still beat the income goal by $559.19. Expenses were kept down to the best of our ability.

Income:

$15,277.19 - Total Income

Raffle - $1,500.00 (Original Goal - $1,000)
Donations - $4,478.64 (Original Goal - $4,000)
Registration Fees - $9,298.55 (Original Goal - $8,000)
Cell Phone Drive - Pending (Continuing with Town of Beverly) (Original Goal - $500)

Expenses:

$1,218.00 - Total Expenses

Hay (Horses) - $70.00
Cannon Bounty - $400.00
Wet Plate Images - $250.00 (Battalion images and images of Mess No. 1 (the plates) were purchased from Bob Szabo for the Battlefield Foundation. These will be displayed at the Beverly museum).
Printing Color Battle Scripts - $173.34 (12 - 20-page scripts printed in color for overall commanders, organizers and battlefiled foundation for use during the event).
General Supplies/Maintenance - $324.66 (Includes dippers for water, time spent for their grounds person to clear areas of the site, take down signs, purchase pylons, etc.)

Net Donation to Rich Mountain - $14,059.19

Thanks again to everyone who contributed their time, money and support. The Rich Mountain Battlefield Foundation Board is absolutely ecstatic about the totals.

Bill_Cross
08-16-2006, 11:51 AM
I regret I was not able to take advantage of my registration for RM, but I want to applaud all you and the organizers did. This kind of detailed, transparent accounting of the proceeds is unusual and should be a model for other events. Thanks, Eric!

Anders
08-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Eric,

Awesome job!

Pards,

Bill_Cross
08-16-2006, 01:41 PM
With RM doing this much good, perhaps the folks of Beverly will be interested in having this a recurring event, perhaps bi-annually like McDowell? I'd be curious to see how the numbers could be increased from the good feeling following this. McDowell has seen steady growth from word-of-mouth, and conceivably more folks would want to go next time who missed out on the fun this year. I'm certainly regretful I couldn't go.

dustyswb
08-16-2006, 03:19 PM
I hope not

Bill_Cross
08-16-2006, 04:04 PM
I hope not
I'm curious. What would be wrong with renewing the event? Pickett's Mill had several iterations, and I understand that "The Immortal 600" is being reprised next year. For those of us who missed it, why not have a chance to do it again in two or three years?

Recurring events are not the same as annual same-old, same-olds.

But that's only my opinion. All three McDowells I've attended, for example, were different in significant ways.

dustyswb
08-16-2006, 07:51 PM
Bill et al,

It's my opinion that events like PF and RM, which attempt to recreate historical events accurately, would become monotonous to folks. With a limited pool from which to attract participants, the event would become stale to those who would go more than once. Nothing new to experience.

You may ask, what about us that couldn't make it, for whatever reason? With our limited numbers, can we afford to repeat these events? I say no.

My suggestion would be to look forward to the next event held by the organizers of the events you are sorry you missed, and try again to attend.

You can also look at it from the organizer's viewpoint. They want to challenge themselves again also.

Bill_Cross
08-18-2006, 08:49 AM
You may ask, what about us that couldn't make it, for whatever reason? With our limited numbers, can we afford to repeat these events? I say no.
Sometimes the way to grow our numbers is through "word of mouth." One of the reasons I attended I600 in 2002 (?) is because I'd heard it was a superior experience, that and the folks I knew who would be attending.

My suggestion would be to look forward to the next event held by the organizers of the events you are sorry you missed, and try again to attend.
That's fine, but there aren't that many regular players in what is increasingly a shrinking group. When is the next John Cleaveland event, for example?

You can also look at it from the organizer's viewpoint. They want to challenge themselves again also.
Some of us who've worked on events don't necessarily want to repeat them; others do and do it well.

It seems to me that unless there is a regular staff of people putting on good events, it will be hard to build numbers.

dustyswb
08-18-2006, 10:07 AM
Sometimes the way to grow our numbers is through "word of mouth." One of the reasons I attended I600 in 2002 (?) is because I'd heard it was a superior experience, that and the folks I knew who would be attending.

That's fine, but there aren't that many regular players in what is increasingly a shrinking group. When is the next John Cleaveland event, for example?

Bill, in the past 10 months, there have been quality events put on by "newcomers" to event planning and execution. This was done with a lot of help from the ones that have been around for a while. I don't see that as "shrinking numbers'. BTW, here is John's next effort as posted on the A/C and OTB:

Immortal 600 - March 2-4, 2007

www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21389

The Woolhat Boys will be hosting the Immortal 600 event at Fort Pulaski near Savannah Georgia during the weekend of March 2-4, 2007. In the winter of 1864-65, Fort Pulaski became a camp of special purpose - the prison of 600 Confederate Officers held aside for retaliation. Though sympathetic, their guard, the 157th NY Volunteer Infantry, were under strict orders not to relieve any suffering. The human relations of captors and captives put friend and foe on a new footing, where there were no winners.

Set at the place where actual interpreted events happened, this event will provide many opportunities for serious living historians. First person behavior is strongly emphasized. High standards of authenticity must be met. Just ask those that have been to this event in the past. Strict rules governing clothing, equipment and conduct will be enforced. Again, ask past folks who portrayed CS officers and had US items confiscated for the weekend. Every participant must apply as an individual; no unit registrations.

Confederates will be portraying Confederate Officers that are being held prisoner. Most had been held captive for some time. Please remember this when deciding whether to portray US or CS as well as when building your impression.

The Federal Garrison will be portraying two companies of the 157th New York. This was a veteran unit that had been sent to Fort Pulaski as an opportunity to rebuild and recuperate. John Cleaveland will be the garrison commander. Art Milbert will be serving as the Adjutant. Company A will be commanded by Patrick Craddock. Company B's commander will be determined later.

There are also opportunities for Civilian impressions.

For more information and to register you may visit the event website at:

tandpcorbin.home.mindspring.com/I600/index.htm

Registration is limited and will be handled on a first come first serve basis.

Some of us who've worked on events don't necessarily want to repeat them; others do and do it well.

It seems to me that unless there is a regular staff of people putting on good events, it will be hard to build numbers.

The SWB is doing two events in 2007. Hope you can make one or both.

Trimmings
08-18-2006, 10:25 AM
The story of the Immortal 600 passes through City Point, Morris Island, and Fort Delaware, too.

http://www.del.net/org/fort/imort.html

Ray Prosten

Bill_Cross
08-18-2006, 11:49 AM
While John and I "don't exchange Christmas cards," Two of the best events I've ever attended were masterminded by him. That's good news he's back for the I600, which everyone here should consider very seriously if they're looking for a more-intense experience. Unlike CPH events that involve marching, the Federals sleep in straw-filled wooden bunks inside barracks within the fort walls. The "worst" part of the event physically was the dearth of Federals, which meant a lot of guard duty was stood by a few of us, and sleep was a precious commodity.

One of my favorite "magic moments" was watching Tiny Grimes and Chuck Heaton playing an exhausted game of checkers, where it seemed hours passed between moves.