PDA

View Full Version : A cool thing President Obama did...

Nick61stnewyork
05-26-2009, 06:38 PM
I though this was a great thing obama did. He laid a wreath at the confederate memorial.

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/obama-sends-wreath-confederate-memorial-arlington-cemetery

Nick

tompritchett
05-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Normally, this would be considered a modern political comment except that it deals with honoring Confederate dead. For this reason, and this reason only, I am allowing this post to stand but I have moved it to the Flags section where it is a more approprite topic.

tompritchett
05-27-2009, 10:53 PM
Congratulations gentlemen, you have managed to get this thread closed even though it was about honoring Confederate dead at our premier national military cemetery on our national day for honoring all those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for their beliefs about our country - all because of who was doing the honoring. Apparently some of you must be so bloody petty that you can not put aside your politics aside for at least one day in order to recognize that once again reverent remembrance was made of all those who died on both sides of our nation's most bloody war. Let's also remember that just a week or so ago, members here were debating whether any wreath would be laid this year because of petition that had been signed asking for the practice to be discontinued. The wreath was laid despite the protest and the potential political heat/flack that could come from the key groups of the President's core supporters. Consequently, I felt that the fact that the wreath was laid was something worthy of being posted in an apolitical manner. Remember, I let you speculate earlier in the month on whether or not it would be posted. Therefore I let Scott's initial post stand. BUT I CANNOT AND WILL NOT TOLERATE THE POLITICAL BULL HOCKEY THAT GREW OUT OF THAT SIMPLE ANNOUNCEMENT, ESPECIALLY AFTER I HAD ALREADY EDITED TWO PRIOR POSTS FOR CROSSING INTO MODERN POLITICAL COMMENTARY. Those of you who have trouble understanding this very simple rule - NO MODERN POLITICS, be advised, you are now on a very short leash down here and I would suggest that you make sure that you pay very close attention to that rule. I have no problems with declaring individuals persona non grata in the Other Business Conferences for fixed lengths of time in order to reinforce this rule. I have done it in the past and I will do it in the future.

Update: Rather than trying to isolate individual threads that crossed the line and, worse, having to debate with myself on whether an individual post warranted deletion - something I literally do not have time for - I am just cleaning out the complete thread except for my moderator comments.