PDA

View Full Version : Cadet Gray & Butternut Brown by Author

Tarky
08-15-2006, 08:15 AM
For Sale, My new book Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown. A Collection of Notes on Confederate Uniforms. Text goes year by year, Battle by Battle, and follows the two largest Armies, the Army of Tennessee, and Army of Northern Virginia, with 100's contemporary descriptions of what they really looked liked during the Civil War. Book also contains many photos of Confederate soldiers and Confederate documents that relate to clothing and Quartermaster operations. Have not had one bad comment so far!!!!

Order one of the first editions and I will sign it for you.

$16.95 plus $5 shipping- $21.95

Use PayPal Tarliskas@hotmail.com or send a check or money order to;
Tom Arliskas, 552 N. 65th St., Wauwatosa, Wis. 53213.

Infernal Mechanic
08-16-2006, 03:37 PM
I got mine last week from the publisher. A great piece of work. I highly recommend every CS reenactor have a copy in thier home library.

Bob Brown
Florida-Georgia Rep
Nick Sekela's Historic Clothiers
bob@infernal-machines.com
www.njsekela.com

reb64
08-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Are there color photos, different or in better detail than whats already published?

Infernal Mechanic
08-16-2006, 05:52 PM
It is mostly text, no color photos, very nice soilder photos that I have never seen before (maybe I wasn't looking in the right places), and period sketches.

Bob Brown

Tarky
08-16-2006, 08:17 PM
Hello, No color for $16.95. This is not a book like Echoes of Glory or a book on CS jacket patterns. This a work that follows the two largest Armies of the Confederacy all through the War, and describes, using contemporary descriptions of people who were there on the spot, that tell what the Confederates actually looked liked. Lots of things no one has seen before. Have not had a bad comment yet- and the Publisher told me today that this book is doing very, very well in the sales category. So, thanks to all of you who have purchased one, and thanks to all of those who will get one in the future. Any questions or comments let me know. Tom Arliskas

reb64
08-16-2006, 09:48 PM
the book sound s like it will make great reading, however i am hoping for a thick color photo book in the future, eog is great, but really doesn't have enough, poor lighting, no close ups etc.

Tarky
08-24-2006, 08:35 PM
the book sound s like it will make great reading, however i am hoping for a thick color photo book in the future, eog is great, but really doesn't have enough, poor lighting, no close ups etc.

Hello, I purposely asked to have the book fall under the $20 price point. The average looker in a National Park book store would pop for a book under $20 with a lot of pictures, and I am not so sure, the same person would anti-up $60 Plus for a specialized book with color pictures.
A lot of color books and sites already exist with photos of uniforms. What you would really like is a comprehensive take down on close ups of weaves, braids, and fabric color in Confederate jackets. It is out there, but scattered in many places.
Tom

Doug Cooper
08-24-2006, 09:26 PM
Put Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown on your bookshelf between EOG and Frassanito's Antietam, Gettysburg and Grant and Lee. Next to those place Geoff Walden and Les Jensen and the MOC's uniform book as well as Troiani's books. Round it all out with the Portrait's of Conflict and perhaps the Brassey books. Lots of pictures, color and B & W. Enjoy!

Remember what the issue price of EoG was back in 1989!

Tarky
08-25-2006, 08:06 AM
Put Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown on your bookshelf between EOG and Frassanito's Antietam, Gettysburg and Grant and Lee. Next to those place Geoff Walden and Les Jensen and the MOC's uniform book as well as Troiani's books. Round it all out with the Portrait's of Conflict and perhaps the Brassey books. Lots of pictures, color and B & W. Enjoy!

You are not the first person to make such a statement. I never knew this book would catch on the way it has. Thomas Publications says that have not a seller like this out of the chute in years!!! I am working on two more, actually three. My second "Even More Notes on Confederate Uniforms" book will have a lot of inspection and clothing reports in it. Will take a look at clothing and some accoutrement production. And, I have some other ideas that I must keep secret!!?:? Thanks for the compliments- Tom Arliskas

Cpt Boone
08-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Tom,

Looking forward to more wonderful works from you. Thanks and keep up the good work.

NC5thcav
08-25-2006, 10:01 AM

I think I got my EOG box set off of Amazon for about $50. It's right next to my Troiani book. I think I'm adding this one next to them. Jenson and Walden's articles on the internet are saved on my favorites.;)

Tarky
09-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Hello, Lots of great responses from the books readers. Many questions are being asked which is a good thing too! I always wondered why the Confederate Government, the Quartermaster Department never standardized a jacket pattern. What would be so difficult to have a set of patterns made for the Confederacy for every Depot? Or send out an excepted pattern of jacket to every Depot?

ewtaylor
09-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Hello, Lots of great responses from the books readers. Many questions are being asked which is a good thing too! I always wondered why the Confederate Government, the Quartermaster Department never standardized a jacket pattern. What would be so difficult to have a set of patterns made for the Confederacy for every Depot? Or send out an excepted pattern of jacket to every Depot?

State's Rights!! The states couldnt and wouldnt agree with any thing Richmond wanted.

Marc Shaffer
09-07-2006, 08:31 PM
A great book to say the least. I like all the notes from all peroids and theaters of the war about the use of Federal uniforms and equipment by Confederate forces on campaign. That should get some panties in a wad! LoL