PDA

View Full Version : Ebay hmmmph............. ( not period)

HighPrvt
08-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Any guitar affectionados out there?
What up with this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&item=190019205630&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Yes the date matches the "wierd" inlays. That's a 20th Aniversary Les Paul Custom.
If it's for real, and in excellent condition, it's shy a couple of zeros.

Frenchie
08-11-2006, 09:04 PM
If it's that big a bargain, make sure of the Seller's return policy and snap that sucker up before I decide to! :D

HighPrvt
08-11-2006, 10:27 PM
I ain't that trusting.......

Supose it could be someone selling off their ex's axe cheap, But I'm thinking it's either a scam, or a misprint.
Do a search for Les Paul Customs and you'll see what it's contemporaries are listing for. Before arthritis reared it's ugly head I was a pretty decent picker, Les Pauls were my favorite. I've owned several, and in about 20 years of playing I've only seen a couple of those anniversary guitars.
If it's for real, it's a heck of a deal :)

Edit:Did a little research, that ain't a 20th Annv. But it does have odd inlays for a LP Custom.
If I remember my Gibson codes correctly it's a '79, which would have been the 20th Annv. for the LP Standard. The LP Custom came out in '54, so that would have made the 20th. in '74.
Not sure about those inlays....... Regardless that's a rediculous price for a Les Paul Custom in good shape, no matter if it's a rare version, or not.

toptimlrd
08-11-2006, 11:22 PM
I looked at his recent auctions and it seems he already sold this guitar earlier. He also recently sold a white LPC for way under market value. Something just doesn't seem right.

Busterbuttonboy
08-24-2006, 01:37 PM
vast majority of gibson's headstocks showed their month and year of manufactor by useing the 1st and 3rd number. likewise that stain is definatly not a typical gibson stain, nor are the contours quite right. best year besides the originals is '95. They changed their production crew and they made one killer guitar after another.
Drew Gruber
(the kid who ran a music store and made reproduction flags on their time)

HighPrvt
08-30-2006, 09:23 PM
The serial # don't work for me.
I found an old pamphlet explaining Gibson codes.
Eight digit serial #s are YDDDYPPP. Y= year, and D= day. For instance a Gibson Les Paul with the serial # 80208575 would have been stamped on the twentieth day of 1988. The PPP are production numbers, so my ficticious serial numbered giutar would have been the 575th guitar stamped that day.

Gibsons with shorter, or longer numbers become very difficult to discern, if not down right impossible in many cases.