http://www.sdsoldiers.com/DSC817.JPG

Wertz figure

http://www.sdsoldiers.com/DSC818.JPG

Mikevpd
02-20-2006, 12:01 AM
Please tell me this is someone's idea of a sick joke... :shock:

MStuart
02-20-2006, 12:13 AM
There is a "market" for everything, and this set is just an indicator........

The "Berlin Tenament" is kinda off the wall, too.

Wow!!!!!! Dismounted Cavalry!!!!!!!!

Mark

flattop32355
02-20-2006, 12:33 AM
There is a "market" for everything, and this set is just an indicator........

The "Berlin Tenament" is kinda off the wall, too.
Wow!!!!!! Dismounted Cavalry!!!!!!!!
Mark

Personally, I'm waiting for the combined Warsaw Ghetto and Auschwitz set. Should be hours and hours of fun....

Just for curiousity's sake, how would you play a session of "Andersonville Prison"?

sbl
02-20-2006, 07:12 AM
Replying to my own post...I changed the HUGH avitar of myself to Lil'Lincoln.

Provost
02-20-2006, 12:14 PM
Scott,

I'm not sure where or how you come up with these things, but they're sure amazing! Thanks for keeping the place lively.

WoundedZouave
02-20-2006, 12:21 PM
Please tell me this is someone's idea of a sick joke... :shock:

Ah, yes... those who live in glass houses....

There are some people in this world who consider reenacting battles someone's idea of a sick joke too so I fail to see what's wrong with an Andersonville playset. When I was a kid I would have loved it for the simple fact that it is a Civil War playset.

As far as "playing Andersonville" goes I recall spending a fair amount of time playing "The Great Escape" when I was a kid. Doing so did not make me grow up with a feeling of disrespect toward the plight of POWs... indeed, quite the opposite. Nor did playing with battle playsets make me a warmonger any more than being a reenactor does.

Hmmm.... Perhaps your only real objection to this particular product is that it is rather cheaply made and not an ultra-authentic adult collectible? :?

Radar
02-20-2006, 03:32 PM
AND, the supplier is out there on the left coast. You can't have guns today (they might hurt you) but you can be sick enough to do Andersonville. How about Elmyra, Camp Chase, Rock Island or Johnsons Island while we're at it?

Sgt_Pepper
02-20-2006, 07:42 PM
I think the tenor of the thread is going in a negative direction. Let's please keep things a bit lighter.

MStuart
02-21-2006, 01:07 AM
A little on topic, maybe a little off, but..... There looks to be a whole bunch of these figures in many different era's. I haven't had a set like this since I was a kid when they could be bought at Neisner's 5 & 10 and they were mostly army and cowboys and indians.

Seeing that they're mostly one color plastic, are there hobbyists for these sets who paint them up and attempt panorama's akin to some of the expensive figures you see in Gettysburg? The ads for all of these seem to point toward the adult more than the child sets some of us may remember.

Mark

Thinking out loud, again. And I might just get me a whole skirmish line of dismounted cavalrymen and "go to town"

sbl
02-21-2006, 07:27 AM
"Hmmm.... Perhaps your only real objection to this particular product is that it is rather cheaply made and not an ultra-authentic adult collectible? "

This set is from the company that makes to cheap Alamo, Gettysburg, Yorktown, D-Day, Iwo Jima, Little Big Horn, San Juan Hill playsets and bags O'soldiers.

The accessory buildings are the best features of the sets and sold separately. Not too bad buildings for manuvering the better quality "guys" in my collection around.

sbl
02-21-2006, 07:35 AM
Mark,

During my weekly trips to the HOBBY BUNKER, I set these sets and the better quality ones by Conte Collectables, etc. go out the door in the hands of adult men, some admit to buying them for themselves.

To set up the complete Alamo set by Conte, you'de need several hours and a very large space.

Rachal
02-21-2006, 09:12 AM
My brother and I grew up playing with toy soldiers and my brother would make huge diaramas of hand painted figures so I was expecting to be annoyed by people slamming on toys. But, I gotta say, the suffering soldiers curled up in agony seems a bit callous. I was expecting to see the guard dogs dining on wounded prisoners as an add-on kit next. I assume that these are for adults and not children ( I hope!) but I still wish that a little more thought had gone into them. Besides, am I the only one who thinks that the Wertz figure looks like a production overrun af Stonewall Jackson figures that had to be used up somehow?

sbl
02-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Fritz,

TSSD is Left coast but a Really RED WHITE and BLUE supplier of miniatures, the soldier company is from New Jersey I think. The stuff is made in Peoples Republic of China. (Like everything else.)

I'd say put the Meads Headquarters building from the Gettysburg set inside the stockade, paint the prisoners grey, dust with talcum powder, and call it Camp Douglas.

BTW, don't leave 3 year olds alone (or fall asleep watching them) with talcum powder and a train set.

sbl
02-22-2006, 07:22 AM
"Marie Antoinette's reign as the Queen of France was clouded in controversy. Her extravagant lifestyle led many to believe that she was not worthy of the throne and eventually she became widely despised as the epitome of incompetence and frivolity within the French royalty. During the French Revolution, Marie was stripped of her crown, imprisoned and beheaded by guillotine in front of a cheering crowd. This 5-1/2" tall, hard vinyl figure features amazing "Ejector Head Action," and comes with a removable plastic wig and dress.

http://www.mcphee.com/items/11563.html

MStuart
02-22-2006, 08:05 AM
Scott:

I see Archie's place has the proverbial "dashboard Jesus". I always wondered where you got those things. Speaking of guillotines, when I was a kid, there was a scale model (Revell, probably) of the guillotine. I put it together, chopped the dude's head off a few times, then lost interest. Don't think it affected me.......much.

Mark

An "Albino Bowler Action Figure"?

wagen dawg
02-23-2006, 07:06 PM
Scott;

"That's awful" "That's terrible" "Who would do such a thing ?" "That disgusting"

That is what my wife (yes I got married) said when I showed her the sight. It would be my guess that noone from this company ever has been to Andersonville.

I didn't know if I should laugh or cry when I saw it. You do find some real gems out there. Keep them coming.

Tim
"The Unit Vulgarian"