PDA

View Full Version : How Does Your Unit Choose Events?

Cal Kinzer
08-11-2006, 02:19 PM
I'm curious as to how other units go about the process of selecting which events to attend. Is it done by a straight up "yes" or "no" vote, with the majority of those attending a given meeting having the say - even though many members might not be present? Or do you require a certain percentage of the entire unit to indiciate an interest in going? If so, what is that percentage?

I'm also curious as to how far in advance the event selection process takes place in your unit. Do you meet in January to set the schedule for the entire year? Or do you wait until the summer to set the fall schedule? If the situation changes, and either an existing event switches dates or gets cancelled, or a new one appears on the radar screen, what process do you go through to amend the schedule?

Cal Kinzer
The Union Rifles
Tulsa, OK

Remise
08-11-2006, 02:44 PM
We meet in January, discuss the proposed events, and vote, mostly by consensus, on the schedule.

Then when the season starts, more than half the people who voted on the schedule never show up for any events at all.

It works for us!

B.C. Milligan
No Names Pleez Mess

Ephraim_Zook
08-11-2006, 02:53 PM
Mr Remise sir,

Are we in the same group?

RJSamp
08-11-2006, 03:04 PM
The leadership/staff gets together (throughout they year) and discusses what's on the radar.....pros and cons....rumor mill.... and comes up with an event list to discuss in November..... For the January Most units will take proxy votes or phone in votes......a quorum isn't necessary....nor a majority.....you basically look at one or two events per month..... if there's a ton of interest then the event is placed on the schedule.

Event's that we've historically attended, paid to attendance, unit sponsored events, one national per year (North South Alliance sponsored), one or two other out of state trips (WI, IN, IA), individual favorites, etc.

Other events come up during the year....we take a poll via group email and assess the level of unit interest involvement. We were just asked earlier this week to attend an educator's symposium at the 1st Division Museum (Cantigny) in Wheaton, IL. on September 30th....the emails are just starting to fly..... I think we'll field a goodly number.....and this is only a week prior to Perryville NSA 2006 national attendance.

With vacation schedules and other obligations, it would be impossible to recommit the unit to a different event halfway through the year.....G140 would be a great example of this.....rained out, rescheduled for August....if 12 of the several hundred mid westerners that were going to attend G140 through either the Black Hats/1st Illinois Battalion/Cumberland Guard or 8th Il Cavalry, 10th MO Cavalry,2nd US Cavalry (WI), Michigan Cavalry Brigade attended it would be a surprise for me......

Hope that answers your question Cal.

John Legg
08-11-2006, 03:17 PM
the 5th Michigan co K meets in november after the season has pretty much ended!

Regular3
08-11-2006, 06:37 PM
We tried letting the full membership vote on the schedule for a while but it was a never-ending process, so now the vice-president and his committee come up with a list of possible events, and the board sets the schedule for the first half of the year at the annual meeting in January, and for the second half of the year at another board meeting usually in late May or early June. Any member who learns of an event can submit it for consideration but the board has the final say.

That said, there are a handful of events in this area that it seems we pretty much know we're going to attend from year to year - New Market, Cedar Creek, etc

We try to limit events to two per month, with at least a free weekend between events, and we don't slap events on the schedule just to look busy ... We're doing a living history next weekend, then nothing until the third weekend in September.

flattop32355
08-14-2006, 09:16 PM
We meet in January or February with a list of past and possible events to attend. At the meeting, anyone present is free to add to that list.

As the 30th OVI is a member of the Army of the Ohio, we automatically are committed to its events, which tend to number from two to four per year. Anyone who's in a unit affiliated with the AotO can attend its scheduling meeting and vote on its schedule.

We then vote on the other possible events to attend, with discussion preceeding each vote. The calendar can be altered by the chairman or a group of members asking for the schedule to be re-examined.

dedogtent
08-14-2006, 09:25 PM
We meet in January, discuss the proposed events, and vote, mostly by consensus, on the schedule.

Then when the season starts, more than half the people who voted on the schedule never show up for any events at all.

It works for us!

B.C. Milligan
No Names Pleez Mess

Looks like everyone else has the same problems.

ley74
08-14-2006, 10:54 PM
Our old unit (and you know who you are so please, do not become defensive) developed a consensus in January for the umbrella group meeting. After the "big bugs" came up with their events, a unit ote was taken, usually in March. Whle most of it was same-ole, there were other events thrown up on the table.

Our mess develops a schedule about two years out, based on The OTB master schedule of events, rumor and inuendo (kinda like the OTB or a couple of girls I used to date). We then prioritize these events. Whle we usually have 80% attendance because we are afraid to miss what we know will be an excellent event, there are times due to rugby schedules, an impending birth of a child, bait and switch advertising, or other factors that only allow a few of us to attend. We have busy lives, wives, girlfriends (maybe both) and children. By planning and maintaining a long-range schedule, most of us can plan around good events.

In today's world, waiting to commit keeps attendence down. Why not go ahead and vote on New Market, Gettysburg, Cedar Creek, McDowell and a few other events through 2020 now? Then you could focus on the one-timers and horizon broadening events.

GrumpyDave
08-15-2006, 06:13 AM
We have a meeting, someone brings a calendar with every event we can think of listed on it. Representatives from events are invited. The events are discussed and eliminated down to those the group feels are worth consideration. Then we vote.

You'll find no group who's leadership decides for them posting here.

tompritchett
08-15-2006, 08:15 AM
You'll find no group who's leadership decides for them posting here.

Actually, in my old unit ultimately all the event decisions were made by the commander and his significant other. Yes, members could propose events to them but if they did not like them, the events were never considered even further. Ultimately, it got to the point that, it appeared to us that if the commander could not be at least a Bn commander, the events never even got on their radar regardless of how much members had enjoyed the events in the past.

Obviously, this is one of many factors of why this unit is now my former unit.

Catherine Kelly
08-15-2006, 12:19 PM
Actually, in my old unit ultimately all the event decisions were made by the commander and his significant other. Yes, members could propose events to them but if they did not like them, the events were never considered even further. Ultimately, it got to the point that, it appeared to us that if the commander could not be at least a Bn commander, the events never even got on their radar regardless of how much members had enjoyed the events in the past.

Obviously, this is one of many factors of why this unit is now my former unit.

Wow... sounds like we may have had the same former commander...or maybe they are brothers...LOL

anyway that is why our unit exist today...

Catherine Kelly

Regular3
08-15-2006, 12:41 PM
In today's world, waiting to commit keeps attendence down. Why not go ahead and vote on New Market, Gettysburg, Cedar Creek, McDowell and a few other events through 2020 now? Then you could focus on the one-timers and horizon broadening events.

I'm trying to decide if you're serious, or pulling our legs. We - a firmly mainstream unit by most measurements - used to put New Market and Gettysburg on the schedule almost by rote ... Until the sameness of New Market coupled with the availability of other possibilities on that weekend or adjoining weekends helped us decide to take a break for a couple of years; and the complete corruption of Gettysburg motivated us to drop it - We haven't been there since the 140th and probably won't be back until the 145th, if then.

Some of the members complained about replacing their comfortable old stand-by events like New Market with one-timers and horizon broadening events like McDowell, Recon and last year's Kelly's Ford. But a funny thing happened to to fellows who attended those other events: They enjoyed them.

bob 125th nysvi
08-15-2006, 08:58 PM
of different ways our schedule gets proposed.

Our parent organization gives us their list of events that they are attending. We meld that with events we have attended in the past and local events we attend (living history and parades). People propose events they'd like us to consider. There are also events hosted by units we have a long association with that are considered.

A reasonable number of events are designated "max effort" and everything else is pretty much optional.

At the January meeting a preliminary event schedule is proposed and voted on.

That schedule is printed in the newletter and then modified as necessary throughout the year as things change.

If you've got a better idea than the membership meeting and voting I'm all ears. Everybody gets a chance to vote whether they are going to attend or not, Nobody knows in January what their commitments are going to be for a whole year so we don't hold it against people who vote but don't attend.

Bob Sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance NY

Regular3
08-16-2006, 10:33 AM
If you've got a better idea than the membership meeting and voting I'm all ears. Everybody gets a chance to vote whether they are going to attend or not, Nobody knows in January what their commitments are going to be for a whole year so we don't hold it against people who vote but don't attend.

Bob Sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance NY
As I said originally, there was a time when the whole membership voted on events. That ended the year we spent the better part of two hours going back and forth on a single event and discussion of the schedule ran so long we were not able to address other business -- And then only two people attended that event after it was put on the schedule. After that we decided that the corporate board would select events from a list compiled by a scheduling committee. That list includes events suggested by the membership.

The system works for us, and it certainly helps our annual meeting move along much more briskly. :mrgreen: Also, it hasn't hurt attendance that much.

Bill_Cross
08-16-2006, 11:53 AM
The board of the Rowdy Pards suggests events. Usually we only consider campaigner or otherwise progressive events, because this is what the members have said they're looking for. We then have a virtual, online meeting in the Winter and vote of which ones we want to make "max effort." We talk about other events, and encourage our members to follow their hearts for local matters, and for those who maintain membership in other units.

ley74
08-17-2006, 09:23 PM
Darrell:

Nope. Not pulling your leg. As others, including Tom have stated, this is why they are our former unit.

It was a Dino DeLarentus production to choose events, Ranking them by Company/Company Sanctioned/Individual. Complicated formulas were used to calculate which events would qualify members for the vaulted NCO and officer elections.

For the last four years our old company, with membership of about 65, had 14 folks meeting to vote for the same old tired events. Mostly, the selected events were to support levels of rank. When attendance declined after the events were voted "Max Effort", all the braid started to whine. The whining begat guilt dumping and the guilt dumping lead to intimidation. We went to the events we wanted to attend.

There are some great folks in our old unit. Some crave rank, some crave being "elivated to the brigade staff", and some just cannot make a break.

While the soap box is out I would like to address one other thing. This is really not about one type of reenactment verses another. Comparisons are not possible because they are two different trees in a maginally similar forest. You climb your trees, we will climb ours. If you are not waisting your time in what you do, you are doing the right thing... for you.

The observations above are my opinion, based on what I look for. There is no conversion through discourse.

Regular3
08-18-2006, 10:10 AM
I hear you ... We were headed down that same road, with a handful of members coming to the meetings and insisting we schedule the same 12 events every year, and filibustering against any event that they had never heard of or attended, making it all but impossible for the unit to see whether something else might be better than the same ol same ol -- And then they complained that the same ol same ol was boring, and used that as an excuse to skip events.

So the board took it out of their hands. We gather the list of possibilities from as many sources as we can find, set the schedule to mix some new events with some of the familiar ones, balancing pure LH with battle events, and saying to the members, "Here they are, attend the ones you want to and leave the rest alone". And, while we'd love to have 20 rifles every time out, we decided take a philosophical approach to attendance, that if the people were going to skip events just because they don't like what's on the menu, it's their loss more than ours ...

Mint Julep
08-18-2006, 07:12 PM
This "board" you all keep talking about ... is it planking or a 2 x 4? How does it "vote"? Or is that an expression for something else?

Apparently I was the only one that knew about events in my unit. Everytime I sent out the call for suggestions, I got nothing. So I'd show up at the meeting (in January) with a list of events I thought were worthy of consideration and suddenly one or two had all sorts of suggestions and opinions. I'd try to be fair and listen and let them make their pitch. Then I'd give my pitch for the events I liked. We'd try to find some sort of middle ground or, at least one year, I got mad enough to just tell everyone what events we were attending and forced them to agree with me in a vote. How did I force them, you ask? I looked around and said, "Okay, this is it! Does everyone agree? Raise yer d@#n hand!" Sheep. All sheep.

I gave that up this last go around and am letting them decide for themselves. I am not aware of any event they have attended as a unit since March.

I decide what I want to attend based on who is organizing the event, where it is, have I done it before, how well it spaces out with the next/last event, etc.

JS

Regular3
08-18-2006, 07:32 PM
This "board" you all keep talking about ... is it planking or a 2 x 4? How does it "vote"? Or is that an expression for something else?

JS
We are a non-profit corporation, headed by a board of directors, who sets the event schedule ... Then members of the unit decided which events they want to attend based on who is organizing the event, where it is, have they/we done it before, how well it spaces out with the next/last event, etc.

bob 125th nysvi
08-27-2006, 06:11 PM
That ended the year we spent the better part of two hours going back and forth on a single event and discussion of the schedule ran so long we were not able to address other business .

not bad methodology. The association leadership is responisble for allowing adequate disscussion on any subject and then cutting it off when it becomes pointless.

In effect your organization has decided it can not trust all the members to have input openly and doesn't trust itself to be able to control the course of a meeting.

If your system works fine for you then great.

But I see a danger in the future when you start lossing members becaus ethey feel they are not listened too and a small cabal makes all the decisions. By the time you realize you have a problem it will be too late.

Hopefully your orhanization has term limits on all offices and committees.

Bon Chance

Bob Sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance, NY