PDA

View Full Version : Civilian Women looking for unit

barkley551
04-30-2009, 05:55 PM
Hello,
My Mom and I are looking for a unit in Missouri that we can join without male sponsership. My husband is not in a position where he can join a unit at this time because he works on weekends, although he does join us as a civilian on occasion. We are in the St. Louis Missouri and looking for somewhere we can actually get involved.
Thanks!

huntdaw
04-30-2009, 10:05 PM
What kind of events are you wanting to do? Living histories, first person events, battle events? There are several very good civilian women reenactors in the St. Louis area but they are not part of a standing military unit if that is what you are looking for.

Are you actually wanting to be associated with a standing group of military reenactors with a women's type auxiliary or are you just looking for folks of a like mind to do different events with?

Spinster
04-30-2009, 11:12 PM
There are only a handful of free-standing civilian organizations in the country. How fortunate that you are in the St. Louis area, as one of those organizations is centered there.

You'll find everything from house-based living histories to civilian refugees in the woods, from upper class formal balls to picnics in the park, all in close proximity to you. You'll have a tremendous opportunity to learn from people with well-researched impressions.

Star of the West Society
http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/

barkley551
05-03-2009, 10:23 PM
We are looking for like minded folks to do a variety of events with. We have been members of a local group that includes civilians, but haven't felt much warmth or inclusion. We have done some camping and enjoy that very much, but when time is a problem we have also just done day trips to different events. I would like to develop more of an impression where I can feel like I'm contributing something to an event rather than just being a dressed up spectator. :-) Thanks for responding

barkley551
05-03-2009, 10:28 PM
Thank you, great website, I'm all for being as correct as possible, I'm just not sure I'm ready to do without my hidden air mattress or cooler. :-(
I will be getting into contact with this group, however, to see if we might find a fit there. Thanks again

Spinster
05-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Here's the good news--if you ask how to be more correct, folks will teach you.

Its perfectly possible to plan period meals with period foods that require no refrigeration. Fieldcraft in dealing with this sort of thing can be learned through watching others, and from a number of period cookbooks or modern compliations. Probably the best resource for one just starting out is the various publications by Vicki Rumble
http://www.thistledewbooks.com/

Making yourself comfortable in bed without an air mattress is easy. It is, however, cumbersome at times. Folks in my neck of the woods use feather ticks or bedsacks filled with straw. If we get really lucky, and have a place to put up the rope bed, then we make it up as it was during the period--straw tick on bottom, feather tick on top. Now that's warm and comfy.

Or, when conditions are more adverse (say, the army turned us out of the house with little notice) then an empty bedsack brought along and filled with leaves or evergreen is better than the cold hard ground.

Amazingly though, in Missouri, you'll find a wealth of sites with historic buildings to sleep in (carefully), and a feather bedsack can go a long way towards a good nights rest.

Being a contributing member of any event can be as simple as cooking a one pot meal--or as complicated as learning a period trade. Look around and find what interests you, what you think you would have done during the period--and then research and develope that trade.

One thing leads to another--I'm a spinner, weaver, and dyer, but right now I'm really looking forward to some shoe making equipment coming my way............

Always something new to learn.

Mint Julep
05-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Thank you, great website, I'm all for being as correct as possible, I'm just not sure I'm ready to do without my hidden air mattress or cooler. :-(
I will be getting into contact with this group, however, to see if we might find a fit there. Thanks again

Miss,

You listen to Mrs. Lawson, she won't steer you wrong. Trust me, you don't need that cooler or air mattress. Life is so much easier and pleasant when you stop lugging the cooler and all the other modern things and you can still be comfortable.

Those folks in Missouri can show you period correct answer for just about every modern thing you carry.

good luck,

huntdaw
05-05-2009, 12:03 AM

I'm sure you will if you want to. And you won't need a cooler if Capt. Smith has his inn going. There will be food aplenty.

We will be doing an event at Boonesfield Village in Defiance in November that will have a lot of civilian participation. Contact Silvana about it. You will find that folks are more than happy to help you advance in the hobby.

teddyrn
05-20-2009, 02:32 AM
Hello,
My Mom and I are looking for a unit in Missouri that we can join without male sponsership. My husband is not in a position where he can join a unit at this time because he works on weekends, although he does join us as a civilian on occasion. We are in the St. Louis Missouri and looking for somewhere we can actually get involved.
Thanks!

I too am looking for a unit, however I live in North Carolina. My brother-in-law offered to sponser me but he lives in south Geogia. I am a registered nurse and am extremely interested in assisting the growth of living history.

It is my feeling that as a female and mother I can help my children by being a part of their education. We visit many musuems, battlefields and other areas that teach us history. I do not like the idea of the kids spending summer (or holidays) in front of the tv.

Capt Terry
06-18-2009, 11:15 AM
I too am looking for a unit, however I live in North Carolina. My brother-in-law offered to sponser me but he lives in south Geogia. I am a registered nurse and am extremely interested in assisting the growth of living history.

It is my feeling that as a female and mother I can help my children by being a part of their education. We visit many musuems, battlefields and other areas that teach us history. I do not like the idea of the kids spending summer (or holidays) in front of the tv.

Hi,

My unit, 1st Regiment Kentucky Vols, Co E, CSA has a large civilian following. We have people of all age groups and many children have grown up with us.. I along with others live in NC and we have members in Virginia and Michigan. We would welcome and invite you to attend an event with us.

You can contact me for more info.

OldKentucky@embarqmail.com