PDA

View Full Version : Jonan Hex movie 2010

sbl
04-28-2009, 03:28 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1075747/

Jonah Hex (2010)

"In the Wild West, a scarred bounty hunter tracks a voodoo practitioner bent on liberating the South by raising an army of the undead."

from wikipedia.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonah_Hex#Fictional_character_biography

May 2nd, 1863: Jonah accidentally shoots Stonewall Jackson as the General returns from a reconnaissance, inflicting the wound which cost him his arm & precipitated his death shortly after due to sepsis. (JH V1, #37)

PVT.THIB
04-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Yep, alot of us reenactors here in Louisiana are slated to be extras including myself. I am on board because they are paying $105 a day and Megan Fox is going to be there. She ain't bad looking if you ask me.

sbl
04-28-2009, 07:59 PM
There's a couple of photos already out there of her in a corset costume. I hope you get in a scene with her in it. Most likely you'll be in scenes shot by the second unit w/o the principle stars. Your milage my vary on the $$$ vs. pain in the a-- that extras go though. Good luck.

PVT.THIB
04-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Yea this is my first big budget film shoot. I am interested in seeing how the filming works but you are right..it probably will be a pain in my a$$. I am willing to deal with it for the very few perks involved.

sbl
04-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Maybe some old vets of Gettysburg, G&G, Glory, or even North and South will chime in on their experiences.

tenfed1861
04-28-2009, 10:04 PM
Well,if it means working with Megan Fox,all I can say is:yes,Yes,YES!!!Pick me,pick me!!.

PVT.THIB
04-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Well,if it means working with Megan Fox,all I can say is:yes,Yes,YES!!!Pick me,pick me!!.

My sentiments exactly!

sbl
04-28-2009, 10:15 PM
That girl poses in her underwear alot.

tompritchett
04-29-2009, 06:34 AM
That girl poses in her underwear alot.

And you have a problem with that? :D

sbl
04-29-2009, 07:26 AM
No...... She's a lovely child. Thomas, you'll notice I didn't link to any of the photos. Her costume in Jonah Hex is relatively tame.

tompritchett
04-29-2009, 07:44 AM
Thomas, you'll notice I didn't link to any of the photos.

I noticed. Thanks. Just from my normal web-surfing, I was aware of her tendency to pose in the more risqué outfits.

billtyrell
04-29-2009, 02:44 PM
As a veteran of Gettysburg and a few others; also a Union member. $105 is cash non-union pay and very low for a feature film. The $105 should be for an 8 hour day, that is the going rate for non-union people and the film company supplies them with wardrobe. If working longer days you should be paid more, at the very least they could pay you $10/hr. when you go beyond 8 hours. If you are going to supply your own kit and musket you should be compensated for that as well. Firing and particularly being squibbed (taking a hit) should be paid higher. Don't sell out so that you can have your pretty face on camera.

sbl
04-29-2009, 03:45 PM
This seems to happen about every ten years.

PVT.THIB
04-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Never thought I was selling out and I could care less about being on camera. I just would like to see the process. I don't know how much I should be paid and based on how much I made working for the State of Louisiana last year, $105 seems pretty good to me. I think we are being paid extra for supplying our own kits, but I don't remember how much. This is a great job for a college student like myself. I certainly don't expect to get rich off of this thing by any stretch.

sbl
04-29-2009, 05:22 PM
I have seen folks do it for the fun and the cash. If you pay attention to the process you may find it interesting and have more respect for the number of jobs and skills behind the camera. When people say "Holly Weird" about the actors, you'll know it's not just them. I've heard reenactor extras say that it's dull. I was in a couple of witch trial movies locally but I don't think I'd do it again.

billwatson2
04-29-2009, 07:00 PM
The process is ultimately boring, but it's an experience to go through if you don't have anything else more compelling to do. Two stars out of five, or, as we say back home, "Better than stepping on a nail." There is, when you get past a lot of the bushwa and hoodoo and kerfuffle and ego and Hollyweirdism, the same basic ingredients as any other human activity: Working together in a group to create a desired result. Reenactments, churches, businesses, movie makers. You're part of an effort and even as a mostly B-unit core group "background artist", there's a right way and a wrong way to do what you're going to be doing and if you study it briefly you'll figure it out.

You can, in other words, get some satisfaction from the experience, but remember I'm kind of inclined to find fun or create fun no matter where I find myself, so maybe I'm not the most insightful source.

Practical advice:

Eschew alcohol and soft drinks and greasy foods for the duration, especially if you're going to be shooting in the heat. You want to be sweating water, not chemicals.

Don't mess around with the "speaking part" actors unless they say something to you first. Some of them will do that. Some will not: Some are unattractively full of themselves while others need a few moments on set, which is where you'll see them, to roll out of themselves and ramp up into their character. If you want to casually, obliquely help, just adopt a period-appropriate attitude towards their character, not them as an actor. Even if it's just body language and facial expression, they'll soak it in at some level. (Some of them might eschew character immersion. Is Tom Cruise ever anyone but Tom Cruise, kinda like John Wayne was always John Wayne?) We're talking tiny smidgeons of contribution here, but it's kinda like a good event: If you invest in it, you'll take more satisfaction out of whatever good eventually comes of it.

Treat everyone connected with the movie like they know what they're doing until you find out they don't. Then try to be where the ones who know what they're doing can find you easily and the ones who don't can't.

If they start running in extras for mass shots off the streets, hit the buffet tables at chowtime before they do and stay upwind. Admittedly this is based on experiences at the Andersonville shoot a long time ago, when they were bringing in people out of the gutters of Atlanta who really did seem to be emaciated, diseased and contagious, but still.

Don't know how long you're expected to be on the set. If it's an extended shoot (Andersonville was 11 weeks, others I've been in were one weekend) the longer you can tough it out the greater the likelihood you'll be called upon to do more than simply walk from "1" to wherever 20 times for a shot. I was the same size, shape and coloring as Fred Forrest at Andersonville and a couple of times near the end they dropped me in to set up the cameras for a scene for him. I didn't get an Emmy, didn't require any real effort, but it was a change of pace and welcome. The longer you stick it out, also, the greater the chance of some interaction with the "real" actors, if that's what you want.

It's a movie, and it might be wild and crazy when it hits the theaters, but it's being run by a corporation and there are unions. In addition to rules about what you can and can't do as a "background artist", be aware that it could be a very politically correct environment. That is, you might not want to wolf howl whoever the attractive actress is or make offcolor jokes. Or maybe it won't be that way. Hard to say. It could be both ways at the same time: We got told to clean up our conversation once or twice, on the other hand one day at the end of shooting one of the many attractive female assistant directors and one of the reenactors ran off into the piney woods together as fast as they could and ripped each others clothes off with the logical consequences you'd expect from that prelude. And there was a major incident when some fellows from the day extra crew attempted to beat up a core group guy they thought was disrespectful to them because they were gay, only to find out four of them were no match for one short, angry South Carolinian with a bowie knife. The "gay" part of that complicated the solution. Personally I don't think he said anything ugly to them, I think they truly misunderstood his Pee Dee accent ...

And remember, at all times: It really is work, a real job, so bring your best game, and even more importantly, when you're tired and out of sorts and sure your best game is wasted on a bunch of clowns: It ain't about you, not one teensy little bit. :eek:

PVT.THIB
04-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the advise, Bill. It is well recieved.
Thanks,

sbl
04-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Thanks Bill.

Tigerrebjim
04-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Nice Megan Fox pic here:

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/04/27/photos-of-megan-fox-in-costume-for-jonah-hex-movie-appear-online/

JIMTee

tenfed1861
05-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the link Jim.

33rd arkansawyer
05-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Well, went and did the wardrobe call Friday afternoon in downtown New Orleans. It was as predicted, show up for pm, then they tell you we can`t get to you until 2 and it will take two hours minimum. So we gather our traps tell them its be real, and its been fun, but we got bigger fish to fry, see you later. (This was at 1:30 and no one has moved off dead center) They started moving when four of their extras was walking off. Needless to say we were measured and pictures taken and on our way home by 2:30. Amazing how that works ain`t it?

sbl
05-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Collective bargaining.

sbl
05-26-2010, 05:38 AM
The Trailer....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2AS9DjwR-o

GaWildcat
05-26-2010, 07:19 AM
can i get in line now to NOT see it??

sbl
05-26-2010, 08:49 AM
Most likely I'll wait for the DVD on Netflix.

NoahBriggs
05-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Ms. Fox needs to have a long chat with her corsetiere regarding proper fitting. In two owrds, hers doesn't.

Would not hurt to drop a couple of dollars with a decent dressmaker while she's at it.

Ross L. Lamoreaux
05-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Ill fitting or not, Megan Fox in a corset is about the only highlight I see in this. This is more science fiction than historical fiction, and one that does little to enlighten the academic. It makes the Wild West West with Will Smith look like "Wicked Spring".

sbl
05-26-2010, 12:37 PM
May 2, 1863: Jonah accidentally shoots Stonewall Jackson as the General returns from a reconnaissance, inflicting the wound which cost him his arm & precipitated his death shortly after due to sepsis. (JH V1, #37)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonah_Hex

FloridaHoosier
05-26-2010, 01:25 PM
So Jonah Hex killed Stonewall? Thats all we needed to shut this one down. I'm not trying to be harsh here, but this site is not about modern entertainment - unless it has to do with real history. Its a well known fact that this site isn't an academic, history-heavy, authentics-only site, but we shouldn't aspire to be history-lite, anything goes either. There is a reputation that precedes us when it comes to that, something which I'm making every attempt to clean up on a frequent basis. This isn't directed at Scott, as you make every attempt to back up modern stories with a tie to real history, and I thank you for that (I know it seems like I frequently have to shut down threads you've started or posted on it, but its truly not you on this one- and the last few).