PDA

View Full Version : the Red Badge of Courage

Pete K
04-28-2009, 11:11 AM
I have a few days of odd classes due to the current state science exams so in the remaining sections of US History I am showing the John Huston version of "the Red Badge of Courage" (staring Audie Murphy/Bill Maudlin). My aid and I were spending a period noticing the many anachronisms common to that era of filmaking of Civil War features. What are the most glaring historic/artistic errors in your opinion of an otherwise good film adaptation of a classic novel? (Just for fun, not flames!) Play nice lads. We don't want to fill out detention slips or have to call mommy due to student misbehavior...

5 th Alabama Infantry
04-28-2009, 12:39 PM
It's been awhile since I saw it , but I believe the infantry had crossed rifles brass on the front of their kepis. They may also be using post war Springfield traplocks.

Pete K
04-28-2009, 01:05 PM
I swear one of the soldiers was carrying a 1903 Springfield, I noticed the bolt action as he crossed the river. My aid wanted to know who designed the LARGE white canvas haversack and the odd cloth knapsack straps with tiny metal gromets. The students read the book in Language Arts class and the film does stay fairly true to the novel. It is a short enough film to show in two class periods and works to begin discussions and spark questions from the age group we teach. (grade eight)

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
04-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Hallo!

Some of the "principle" actors appear to be using original Springfields and Enfields while most everyone else was using later model breechloading M1873 "Trapdoor" Springfields.
(The Trapdoors also show up in the Richard Thomas remake, with some lads using the ramrods in simulating muzzleloading.)

M1885 McKeever belt boxes/pouches are often used for CW era cartridge boxes.

Also in the 1930's and 1940's Spanish American War surplus five button blouses and leather accoutrements/gear show up in various Hollywood and TV productions from the "serious" down to the "Three Stooges."

CHS