PDA

View Full Version : campaign knapsack

georgia
08-10-2006, 03:37 PM
i was just curious for those who go on campaign or anybody. wich do you use for a weekend a knapsack or blanket roll? and why?

VaTrooper
08-10-2006, 03:59 PM
Blanket roll. A knapsack would be a pain mounted. :rolleyes:

Rob Weaver
08-10-2006, 04:57 PM
I used a blanket roll for many years. I found it to be hot, uncomfortable and a terrible place to stow any number of small items (including but not limited to: my sergeant's book of paperwork, roll of personal hygeine stuff, contact lens solution bottle when I wore lenses). I switched to a pack several years ago and found it much easier. Not that I carry a lot more junk now, but, when fully harnessed, I carry it more comfortably. I don't lose or break as many things and I have the added benefit of a pillow 'pon which to rest this weary head.

rebel yell
08-10-2006, 05:06 PM
I use a mule collar, it's hot but I've never liked back packs any way.:)

Ephraim_Zook
08-11-2006, 09:10 AM
Blanket roll. Used a borrowed knapsack once and found it to be a complete pain in the *** to put on and off.

1stTenn
08-11-2006, 12:05 PM
I use a knapsack. I tried a blanket roll a few times and found it uncomfortable. After using a knapsack for a while, I found i can carry a couple more items, and once you get use to it , it's no harder to put on or take off then a bed roll.

Nighthawk
08-11-2006, 12:25 PM
I use a Knapsack. I have found that it is much more comfortable than a blanket roll, especially when packing to the impression. By that I mean when attending a campaign event I try to carry what would have been in a soldier's knapsack for a months long campaign. Spare shirt, drawers, extra socks, soap, towell, sleeping hat, etc. My toothbrush goes in the buttonhole of my jacket. Of couse my blanket, and hanging from one of the straps, my boiler. I find that I can comfortably carry it all day.

RJSamp
08-11-2006, 01:00 PM
a Poke sack in the blanket roll and a hunk of hemp to tie up the ends and make sure the extra socks, drawers, sash, shirt stay inside works just fine..... rubber blanket folds up tight and carry it looped over the backside of the belt.

but the knapsack has a ton more room and seems to ride better for me. (the itchy wool blanket by my cheek with the bedroll is not pleasant)....I am unable to fasten the hook of a knapsack....but figure that's what comrades are for and I return the favor......

So either.....leaning towards the knapsack....

and my 'necessities', including car key, contact lens With solution cases, DEET, lye soap, extra bugle mouthpiece, bugle call book are in my haversack.....just in case we have to drop packs/bedrolls and rush into combat.....

of course....when you go by horseback that's a horse of a different color....but TWO blankets under the saddle is one big hint.....Morgan's Raid!

reddcorp
08-11-2006, 01:28 PM
I've used bedroll, knapsack and a blanket carrier (that I made). I prefer the knapsack. To me, once you get it properly adjusted and packed (with just what you need), its quite comfortable. As others have noted, the bedroll gets hot around the neck and to get at your possibles, you have to unroll. When at rest, find a tree and lean back; the knapsack makes it more comfortable. I find that you can get to your cartridge box and cap pouch easier with the knapsack. Firing the weapon seems easier with a knapsack.
Knapsacks seem underrepresented, particularly by CSA.
AWRedd

Tom Scoufalos
08-11-2006, 01:29 PM
I always prefer knapsacks, but then I am biased as knapsacks are by far my favorite piece of kit. Kind of a fetish; with eight different varieties between two time periods (Revolutionary War and Civil War) my thirst for more is not yet slaked.

Ultimately, my favorite method of hauling truck is a knapsack with a blanket roll as may be appropriate. Hate having a blanket roll alone owing to the difficulites locating the itty bitty things.

Tom

HighPrvt
08-11-2006, 04:03 PM
Both, but more often I use a knapsack. more comfortable, not to mention useful, and under-represented.

Doug Cooper
08-11-2006, 04:21 PM
i was just curious for those who go on campaign or anybody. wich do you use for a weekend a knapsack or blanket roll? and why?

Comrade the best advice to this time honored question is to do what makes you feel comfortable, with an eye toward what the original soldiers in the unit being portrayed may have done.

There is no substitue to walking several miles in both - that is the only way you will tell which you prefer. I prefer a knapsack - to me it is less confining, cooler and you can carry everything comfortably for many miles, and not have to unroll the blanket to get to something. I often take blanket and ground sheet and carry it in a short roll with a sling of it's own plus a knapsack when doing CS. I also believe the soldiers and the QM system when they decried the shortage of knapsacks. Bedrolls are fine for when no knapsack was available. Knapsacks were issue items.

bill watson
08-11-2006, 10:06 PM
Prefer knapsack, but sometimes the unit impression calls for a blanket roll. Unbelievable the number of times events have been looking at doing a regiment right after it dropped packs and never got them back.
The knapsack is a real pain, literally, for anyone who has done modern backpacking with a frame and waist harness. If there's any weight at all in the knapsack, I get a small fiery knot of anguish between my shoulder blades about a mile into the hike. And then it goes away and I'm OK.

ThumbStall
08-14-2006, 07:58 PM
The Unon soldier in the center of this period photo doesn't seem to care for either horse collar or knapsack... or shoes for that matter: http://www.mymodelrailroad.net/images/cwp011.JPG

cosgood
08-14-2006, 09:46 PM
The photo you posted is supposedly some members of the 86th NY after 2nd Bull Run. A couple things of note: The 86th NY was ordered to drop knapsacks prior to the battle, some didnt care if they saw them again. They also had removed their shoes for crossing the stream (hence why some are without booties). Also another interesting note, some tucked their "blouses" into their trousers as they had no shirts. All references come from period diaries and letter accounts from soldiers in the 86th NY. Also note the dark blue trousers on the one, that was supposedly a NYS issue item.

Tom Scoufalos
08-15-2006, 08:32 AM
Always looked to me that the fellow sitting down with the bloused trousers has a rubber blanket alone, maybe with a few items in it, worn over his shoulder, sans woolen or shelter-half based on how thin the roll is when it passes over his shoulder. Just an observation.

-Tom

tenfed1861
08-15-2006, 01:10 PM
I perfer a knapsack.When packed properly,it's rather comfortable.Bedrolls are good in winter to help keep you warm in the day.But I perfer knapsacks as it keeps everything in its place,it's much cooler,and it just looks better in my opinion.
Cullen

AZReenactor
08-15-2006, 01:49 PM
The far West was a different situation than that back East it seems. The unit I portray were ordered to carry knapsacks during drill and on the march from California. It appears that they generally carried them throughout the war when on the march. Initially the order to carry knapsacks met some resistance but a couple of court martials seems to have resolved the issue. Occaisionally, when persuing hostiles, they were ordered out in light marching order and carried only blanket rolls.

The "choice" for us comes down to the scenario being depicted and the orders of the officer or NCO in charge.

bob 125th nysvi
08-15-2006, 08:43 PM
because that what our unit impression calls for.

But why would it make a difference if it is a campaign event or not?

Bob Sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance, NY

jurgitemvaletem
08-17-2006, 07:28 PM
My preferance has always been my single bag knapsack for the reason that they are hard to overpack to a point of uncomfortableness and I like the way it rides as opposed to my double bag.

Thanks,
Jurgitem Valetem

John Legg
08-18-2006, 08:23 PM
i like to use a knapsack, im awaiting a new one,
my mother bought me a knapsack from fall creek sutlery, or should i say Fall apart creek. its crap, well the leather is, every peice is either ready to break off or is off, the should straps, where they meet on the bag its self, have ripped and are about to fall off. i hope the replace it or gie me my money back, at the jackson event next weekend! i want a nice bag from MBS or nick sekela bag!

anyways yeah i like the packs better