PDA

View Full Version : Back on the list after an absence....

Faye Dufour
08-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Dear All,

My name is Faye Dufour and I have been off the CW Renactors list for a while, first due to not being able to access the list at my workplace then Katrina (perhaps you have heard about that?)

Some of you may have met me at Chickamauga in 1999 - I was with the St. Alphonsus Field Chapel group, portraying a Religious Sister of Mercy. We were also at Raymond I and Raymond II in Mississippi. I missed the group and all the info we shared, hope all are well. The Forum for Civil War Civilians held in 2000 in Athens, Alabama was awesome!

However, my re-enacting days are now just a memory, along with my home, clothing, possessions, and pets. Katrina put 14 feet (yes, feet) of water into my house (I lived in a suburb of New Orleans). The house has not been totally gutted down to the studs, and we are waiting to see what will happen.
Currenty I am living in a FEMA trailer in St. Rose, LA (another suburb of New Orleans). I did however, save one of my photo albums from my reenacting days, and look over it often remembering the good times and friendships.

I wanted to get back on the list and share info with others that I had gained in eleven years in the hobby, and "re-connect" with friends from the past.

Faye Dufour
(Sr. Mary Veronica, R.S.M.)
St. Alphonsus Field Chapel
fadufour@bellsouth.net

Julio C. Zangroniz
09-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Dear Ms. Dufour (or should I say... Sister Veronica?):
I remember meeting you at Chickamauga (a.k.a. "Chicadusty") 1999, and photographing the chapel in "action."
Let me know if you'd like me to fish some negatives out of my archives and send you, on a complimentary basis, some prints of that program, to replace some of the ones you lost to the ravages of Katrina.
Do you have any news of John (Tim) & Cindy Lambert?
If you prefer, you can direct your reply to my personal e-mail address: Jzangroniz@comcast.net
Best regards,
Julio C. Zangroniz

ElizabethClark
09-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Faye, it's nice to see you back! My MIL lost her house in Katrina, too--she was on the back bay in Biloxi, and the Gulf just came right up through her house. Luckily, she didn't lose the family albums--they were with her when she evacuated--but other than a suitcase, the photos, a portion of her doll and christmas collection, and her dog, everything was gone.

Soooooo... I'm thinking we need to take up a collection of good gear and get you outfitted again, but I'm betting you won't have room to store anything hobby related until you're settled?

I'm glad to see you back on-line, and look forward to having you in the loop again!!

Spinster
09-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Even this backslid Methodist has greatly missed the St. Alphonus Field Chapel, having been raised in the shadow of a fine Benedictine abbey, and having spent a semester living in a monastic setting (one of those 'experiments' with Protestants that came about in the wake of Vatican II). I am always drawn to any good period portrayal of Catholic religious.

Members of the Winston Free-State will be down in your area once again this winter at Chalmette for the Battle of New Orleans commemoration. Last year was most sobering, as the Park was only able to open for the one day, and most inspirational, as thousands of work-weary folks came out to celebrate a pivotal moment in our nation's history, even in the midst of destruction.

I'd certainly be pleased to see you again and renew aquaintance made at Chicamauga, Raymond, and the Southern Conference.

KarinTimour
09-10-2006, 11:49 AM
Dear Miz Faye:

I am so very pleased to see that you are alive and well. Your kindness to me at Chickamauga when I arrived late and frazzled turned that entire weekend around. I had planned to be on-site on Thursday, but another hurricane (Hugo?) had gone up the East Coast and stopped the flights the day I was supposed to travel.

I was very upset about being late, was overwhelmed at the size of the civilian camp, had already wandered like a lost soul through the "tent city," looking for my friends and was convinced the whole weekend was going to be an utter catastrophe. I was in New Yorker overdrive, speaking way too fast. I didn't want to ask too many people for directions, because they were all strangers and when I did ask, they often just stared at me, stunned. I figured out much later that I was probably flummoxing most of them because they literally heard what I was asking as one continuous machine-gun stream of words without any pauses.

It was the first time I'd ever seen the Field Chapel in person, though we'd talked over the internet. You and Cindy took me in, insisted that I sit down, rest, talk, eat and drink and that once I had done those things you'd help me find the folks or put me up for the night, whichever. This seemed like a bizarre idea to me -- much better to forget drinking and eating and just immediately zip off now, right now, immediately. You persuaded me to sit down out of the sun, Tim kept topping up my tin cup with more water, Cindy broke out the sausage and bread. You kept smiling and nodding as I gradually wound down.

You were totally right, things were much better once I'd calmed down, had "set a spell." A lesson which has stood me in good stead.

When you felt I was sufficiently hydrated (and much calmer), you and Cindy (in full habits) got in my rental car and we took off to find The Widow Barfield's tent. As I recall, my friends had said that they would leave word with her or some such. We knew she had to be somewhere near the military camps, so we drove that way.

The first likely clump of guys we came to turned out to be a random group of Cleburnes' members heading back from a trip to the sutlers. You told me to be quiet and let you ask "in Southern." I stopped the car eveloping all of us in a cloud of dust, As the air cleared a little, you zipped down the window and said, in slow, clear, fluent Louisianan "Any you boys seen the Widder?" The reaction was instantaneous -- the car was surrounded by about 15 guys who volunteered information, advice, help, etc. Much of it conflicted, but it taught me another lesson which has served me well. When lost in the South: ask directions, speak slowly, and pay attention.

I join Julio in being concerned about Cindy and Tim -- and feel free to drop a note if you'd prefer to answer that way (ktimour@aol.com).

Sincerely,
Karin Timour
Period Knitting -- Socks, Sleeping hats, Balaclavas
Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Faye Dufour
09-14-2006, 09:03 AM
Dear friends,

Thank you all for the kind words and memories of Chicakmauga and Raymond. In addition to CW and War of 1812, I had gotten into doing 1st Century A.D. Rome. Ladies, this is the best - no corset, no stockings, no gloves or bonnets (LOL). Imagine reclining on a leopard skin (faux leopard skin of course) couch, and having someone bring you fruit and wine (cranberry juice for me). I could get into that lifestyle!!

My FEMA trailer arrived in April, and I am living next door to Tim and Cindy Lambert on their property. In May I was adopted by two kittens, and my home is complete.

I will try and participate in the Battle of New Orleans in January, 2007. I can put something together for that. I missed the January, 2006 event, the first time in 14 years. God Bless all those that made the trip and put on the event. I just did not have the energy or heart to go last January.

I may have lost alot of material possessions, but I am so rich in family and good friends. Katrina has taught me that.

God Bless You All,
Hope to see you at some time (in the 19th or 21st century)
Faye Dufour
fadufour@bellsouth.net

Spinster
09-14-2006, 03:04 PM
Dear Faye,

We'll certainly look forward to seeing you in January. Chalmette will reopen on a regular basis for limited days each week later this month, though the visitors center is not yet ready.

If you find that you need us to bring any extra 1812 clothing or gear for you, or if you wish to share tent space, send me a private message a few weeks prior to the event.

Of course, we won't have the heigth of fashion to loan, being upland refugees ourselves, but I'm overly fond of French bedjackets, and have several woolen ones as a result--just the thing for a cutting January wind off the river.