PDA

View Full Version : what's in your knapsack?

uspackmule
08-09-2006, 12:38 AM
Hello men, I was just wandering what people packed in their knaps' while on campaign. I pack 2 shirts, pair mittens, pair of socks, 2 ponchos, blanket, and a shelter half.

AZReenactor
08-09-2006, 09:34 AM
Our unit base impression is guided by

General Orders, No. 3

Hdqrs. Dist of Southwestern California
Los Angeles, Cal., February 11, 1862.

I. Each soldier will carry one greatcoat, one blanket, one forage cap, one woolen shirt, on pair of drawers, one pair stockings, one towel, two handkerchiefs, one fine and one course comb, one sewing kit, one piece of soap, one toothbrush.

II. Each soldier will wear his uniform hat without trimmings, one blouse, one pair trousers, one pair stockings, one woolen shirt, one pair drawers, and may wear a cravat in lieu of the leather stock.

III. Each soldier, whether of cavalry or infantry, will have one canteen, one haversack, one tin cup. In his haversack he will carry one fork, spoon, and plate. He will wear a good sheath knife.

IV. Each company, whether of cavalry or infantry, will have only enough mess pans and camp kettles (in nests) for absolute requirements; also a few short-handled frying pans, some large tin pans in which to mix bread, one or two strong coffee-mills, a 6-gallonkeg of vinegar, a few pounds of black-grained pepper, four axes, four camp hatchets, six spades, six shovels.

V. Officers will not take mess-chests, or trunks, or mattresses on the march. It is suggested that each mess of officers of not less than three be provided with to champagne baskets covered with painted canvas for their mess furniture. These can be packed on a mule. Their necessary clothing can be carried in a small hand-valise, or pair of saddlebags.

VI. The Companies of the First California Volunteer Infantry will drill with knapsacks on and with personal effects packed agreeably to the above orders, from the date of receipt thereof.

VII. The Colonel commanding has observed that there has grown up a habit of writing for the press about military matters and movements of persons in the volunteer service of this district. This is not only unprofessional, but strictly prohibited. There must neither be discussion among military men nor any but official letters written for publication, which have for their object the purpose of giving either censure or praise to any person belonging to the profession.

By order of Colonel Carleton:

Ben. C. Cutler,
First Lieut., First California Vol. Infty., Actg. Asst. Adj. Gen.

OR I, vol. 50, pt. I, p. 858-859.
This is the base load for the march from Yuma to Tucson in '62. For later events we might add button board, boot black, shaving kit, rags, hair tonic, hatchet, stationary, personal mail, or reading material.

theknapsack
08-09-2006, 10:34 AM
I carry books for my mess so sometimes they carry my stuff.
I usually carry
1 or 2 Extra Pair of Socks
Extra Shirt
Housewife
Extra pair of drawers (sometimes)
Pocket Bible
Various books, dime novels, etc.
Extra Rations (if carrying 3+ days)
Gum Blanket
Blanket
Casey's Manual (if NCO)
Baxter's Manual (if NCO for company using Baxter's)
Hardee's Manual (if NCO for co. using Hardee's)
Gilham's Manual (if NCO for co. using Gilham's)
Scott's Manual (ibid, Using Scott's)
I also sometimes carry letters and writing equipment, stationary, etc.

Usually it will have less because of the style of event, but this is what I would carry normally at events.

flattop32355
08-09-2006, 03:08 PM
Hello men, I was just wandering what people packed in their knaps' while on campaign. I pack 2 shirts, pair mittens, pair of socks, 2 ponchos, blanket, and a shelter half.

As little as possible.

Doug Cooper
08-09-2006, 06:29 PM
I carry books for my mess so sometimes they carry my stuff.
I usually carry
1 or 2 Extra Pair of Socks
Extra Shirt
Housewife
Extra pair of drawers (sometimes)
Pocket Bible
Various books, dime novels, etc.
Extra Rations (if carrying 3+ days)
Gum Blanket
Blanket
Casey's Manual (if NCO)
Baxter's Manual (if NCO for company using Baxter's)
Hardee's Manual (if NCO for co. using Hardee's)
Gilham's Manual (if NCO for co. using Gilham's)
Scott's Manual (ibid, Using Scott's)
I also sometimes carry letters and writing equipment, stationary, etc.

Usually it will have less because of the style of event, but this is what I would carry normally at events.

Dang Riley - that is exactly the same as me.

theknapsack
08-09-2006, 07:20 PM
That reminds me, Doug, we didn't get to meet at Rich Mountain. I saw you talking to Terry Sorchy but we were standing in line so I didn't get the chance to introduce myself. Oh well, perhaps next time.

Riley

tenfed1861
08-10-2006, 11:17 AM
I carry a Federal blanket in the inner bag.In the outer bag,I carry an extra shirt,extra pair of socks,bar of soap,comb,mirror,toothbrush,toothpowder,a sleeping cap,and a deck of cards.In between the bags I carry my ground clothe.Simple,easy,and gets me by.
Cullen

TeamsterPhil
08-11-2006, 01:44 PM
For the march at Port Gibson a few years ago, my knapsack contained one gum blanket and one pair of socks. That's about as light as it gets.

Phil Campbell

Federal Bummer
08-11-2006, 02:18 PM
I carry

1 federal blanket
1 ground cloth
1 extra shirt
2 pair socks
1 sewing kit
1 nco book/diary
1 small towel
1 comb
1 tooth brush

Sometimes a shelter half but not very often

bill watson
08-11-2006, 10:17 PM
Add soap, a button board and some rottenstone, plus one more oilcloth or rubber blanket, to Steve's list and that's what I generally carry. My concession to creature comfort sometimes is a straw tick that rolls up to nothing when empty and keeps leaves and stuff under me at night, or an extra wool blanket from late December through March.

Kimmel
08-12-2006, 12:45 AM
Blanket
Ground cloth
Poncho (if needed)
Shirt
Socks
Sharps gun cleaning kit (If I'm not at a tactical)

Pretty basic..... I wish I could find a Berdan Pack though... man are those things great!

Doug Cooper
08-12-2006, 10:41 PM
That reminds me, Doug, we didn't get to meet at Rich Mountain. I saw you talking to Terry Sorchy but we were standing in line so I didn't get the chance to introduce myself. Oh well, perhaps next time.

Riley

Perhaps at Banks Grand Retreat next March or the Southern Guard Picket Post 21-22 October?

Scottish Songbird
08-14-2006, 10:40 AM
Blanket
Ground cloth
Poncho (if needed)
Shirt
Socks
Sharps gun cleaning kit (If I'm not at a tactical)

Pretty basic..... I wish I could find a Berdan Pack though... man are those things great!

Wow....I might really be able to stow away as spy in one of these!!!!;)

(Forgive me guys...I'm just having a little too much fun on this forum...:p :o

Indyguy
08-14-2006, 02:13 PM
I'd carry Songbird in mine if she'd fit, or maybe y'all should carry a picture of that girl you left behind, HMMMMM

bob 125th nysvi
08-15-2006, 08:37 PM
or suffering from dejavue but didn't we have this discussion about a month ago?

Anyway:

1 shelter half
1 blanket
2 extra shirts
2 extra pairs of socks
2 extra pairs of draws
2 arsenal packs
2 oil clothes
wooden tent stakes and mallet
extra copies of my medical cards
1 extra towel

Great coat only gets carried late fall, winter and early spring (as per AOP orders) same with gloves.

Bob Sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance, NY

tompritchett
08-16-2006, 05:35 AM
Either I'm Getting Old
or suffering from dejavue but didn't we have this discussion about a month ago?

I thought so too initially. However, the discussion last month was about haversacks not knapsacks.

John Legg
08-18-2006, 08:35 PM
i usally carry

1 shelter half
1 ground cloth
1 fed issue blanket
1 sleeping cap
1 housewifes
2-3 pairs of socks
penny whistle
some food that i dont need in my haversack like potatoes
and some other stuff

skamikaze
08-18-2006, 11:23 PM
1 blanket roll
1 ground cloth
1 mexican rug (dont ask)
1 pr socks
gun cleaning kit
2 shirts
some rope
poncho

in the winter i carry my greatcoat between the bags if im not using it.
i used to carry a mattress tick but it got so disgusting i cut it up into a musket cover. and i carry a small hatchet on the straps.

Nighthawk
08-19-2006, 08:25 AM
I use either a CS Mexican War style pack or a Pritchett Pack:
Ground cloth
Carpet Blanket
Pair of socks
Shirt
Small ball of cotton cord
Housewife
Soap, comb, & towel
Tin bottle of sweet oil
Sleeping cap

These are the basics, but I will add or subtract various items depending on the impression and the time of year. For example in colder weather I will eliminate the sleeping cap and add a Balaclava and a scarf, while the spare shirt will be wool flannel instead of cotton.......