PDA

View Full Version : Musket storage

cwmonck
08-09-2006, 12:04 AM
What is the correct term (if there is one) for the storage of muskets in camp. Specifically, I refer to the method where rifles are leaned against one an other in a teepee like display. I would imagine there is a term for this and I would assume the origin is French. Please help, as I do not wish to appear or sound foolish.

Rob
08-09-2006, 12:35 AM
It's called stacking arms.

http://www.usregulars.com/css8.html (Scroll down to paragaph 423.)

cwmonck
08-09-2006, 08:14 PM
This is exactly what I needed. Thanks for the link. It should prove invaluable as I am writing a novel, which takes place during the civil war.

Sgt_Pepper
08-10-2006, 01:20 AM
Just out of curiosity, why do you assume a French origin to the musket stack?

Provost
08-10-2006, 11:40 PM
Only the French could have invented such a counter-intuitive and convoluted means of laying weapons around. ;)

(Just kidding, Sgt. )

Provost

toptimlrd
08-18-2006, 08:01 PM
Just out of curiosity, why do you assume a French origin to the musket stack?

Je ne sais pas.

Perhaps he is not a reenactor or nearly as familiar with our drill as most on the forum are (he did mention he was a writer). Since the drill we use is referred to as Napoleonic, it really wouldn't be that large of a jump to presume (albeit an incorrect assumption) that much of the terminology may be French. Ne pensez-vous pas?

Frenchie
08-18-2006, 10:21 PM
I think that's a good explanation. We patterned our military after the French model from the Revolution until the Prussians kicked their butts in 1870, after which we got new uniforms like the Germans', mit Pickelhauben, nicht var?

Come to think of it, we've spent a long time trying to emulate some aspect or other of European armies, which explains (among other things) the sorry mess we made when we adopted the less-than-optimum 9mm cartridge in a clunky, over-sized Italian handgun. We need to develop the Browning Hi-Power in .45 ACP. John Moses Browning was a genius and I hope we never forget it.

Regular3
08-21-2006, 12:18 PM
I think that's a good explanation. We patterned our military after the French model from the Revolution until the Prussians kicked their butts in 1870, after which we got new uniforms like the Germans', mit Pickelhauben, nicht var?

Come to think of it, we've spent a long time trying to emulate some aspect or other of European armies,
Actually, while the uniforms from 1851-1870 had a distinctively French flavor, the drill tactics we used were modeled after the armies of Frederick the Great. Friedrich von Steuben had served as a lieutenant in one of his conscript battalions in the Seven Years' War, before bringing his knowledge to America and passing it on to Washington's army.

And thus von Steuben's "Blue Book" begat Scott's manual, which begat Hardee's and Casey's after Hardee took his manual and went south ...