PDA

View Full Version : Ted Turner movies

BigDuke634
04-03-2009, 07:15 PM
I seem to recall TT making a movie about the Monitor VS the Virginia. Can anyone tell me the title of the movie?

brown30741
04-03-2009, 07:34 PM
It was a "TNT Original Production" Wasn't it simply called "Ironclads?"
Anyone seen the 1912 "Confederate Ironclad?"

reb64
04-03-2009, 07:44 PM
I am always hoping there will be more and better movies on ironclads or more to scale ones made. also there isnt a decent ironclad game on pc or other systems. Ironclads had some good scenes, Sahara tried but was too far fetched. I saw the real Monitor turret up close and out of water and that was awsome.

Tarheel57
04-03-2009, 11:06 PM
The movie "Sahara" has an opening scene of the CSS Texas breaking through the Union blockade. Thoroughly fictional, but the only part of the movie worth watching, IMO.
Incidentally, "Ironclads" never made it to DVD. Which is not a real tragedy, I guess. But I do with "The Hunley" would be released on DVD. Not an ironclad, but still a good movie.

BigDuke634
04-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Wow, I was way off. Ironclads was an A&E movie brought out in 91. Ted T. didn't have anything to do with it. I looked online to see if it was available to watch, but only found it available for sale on Amazon. Thanks for the help guys!

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
04-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Hallo!

The 1991 TV movie "Ironclads" was indeed a Turner Production. The production company was Turner, and Turner Home Entertainment aired the movie.
I am fuzzy as to how it jumped, but A & E released the VHS version in 1994.

(However the naval model work was filmed at the "sea tanks" of Pinewood Studios, England.)

IMHO, it tried to be a sanitizied politically-correct "docudrama" Monitor and Virginia piece.
It was nominated for four emmy's but won....
none.

As an aside, is replete with "Ted Turner Prop Room" quality uniforms whose tailors and clothing makers never seemed to get Period collars "right."

;) :)

CHS

Blair
04-04-2009, 01:17 PM
"Ironclads" was indeed a Turner Production.
And just for the record there was a lot more wrong with that production than the Costume Dept getting the collars "right".
Blair Taylor

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
04-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Hallo!

As with ALL TT productions, I was being (overly) kind with just the collar comment.

;) :) :)

(Some of the long distance shots of the U.S.S. Monitor model were very nice...)

:)

CHS

Blair
04-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Yes, some of the model filming done in England wasn't too bad. It just goes to show you do get what you pay for.
I wonder what the logic was behind paying to bring all those Sailors from Arizona to Virgina was all about. Come to think of it, I guess you do get what you pay for. Never mind.
Blair Taylor

Tarheel57
04-06-2009, 10:07 PM
"Ironclads" was indeed a Turner Production.
And just for the record there was a lot more wrong with that production than the Costume Dept getting the collars "right".
Blair Taylor

Occasionally repro uniform items will surface on ebay purporting to be from "Ironclads".