PDA

View Full Version : the old visitors center

Brian Wolle
04-01-2009, 08:45 PM
I live a few doors away so I strolled by and saw that they had completely demolished -the center section. Making it appear they will leave the front and rear sections intact. Also, in the paper, some preservationist group (don't you just hate them?) wants and looks like will succeed in saving the old cyclorama building -surely the ugliest buiding in town. This is beyond me. But I knew even when I was in California there would be trouble. I was working for Home depot getting window leads and I wore my CW uniform to work! One man brought me an article in the NY Times about how they did not want that historic building to come down. Well, maybe they should MOVE it. It doesn't belong here.

Jenn12
04-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Are they tearing down to make room for more monuments or something important? If not I feel it's a shame that the building could not serve some other purpose. I for one have memories of those buildings from my first trip ever to Gettysburg as a child. It's always sad to see things from your childhood disappear.

Brian Wolle
04-01-2009, 11:48 PM
I think you missed what I said. They cut out the middle section. AND they look like they are going to keep the old cyclone-rama bldg.

Didn't I say that?

flattop32355
04-02-2009, 12:21 AM
Are they tearing down to make room for more monuments or something important? If not I feel it's a shame that the building could not serve some other purpose. I for one have memories of those buildings from my first trip ever to Gettysburg as a child. It's always sad to see things from your childhood disappear.

The idea is to get the old building gone to restore the landscape to what it was at the time of the battle.

While the building itself has some degree of historical significance, and as you say, childhood memories for us modern folk, I opt for its removal to make the field more in tune with its orignal purpose at the park.

Conflicting goals can usually only be solved well in one direction or the other. Rare is the case when compromise on issues like this end up as win-win situations.

Jenn12
04-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Flattop,

I totally agree. Like I said if it's for something important, which land restoration definitely qualifies.;)

I think that purpose is more important than childhood memories. I was just saying that I hoped there WAS purpose to tearing it down (or part of it) other than just getting rid of an unused building as sometimes that happens. And I was only talking about the visitors center not the cyclorama as Brain mentioned looks like its staying.

And Brian, I may have not worded my post correctly, but I did understand everything you were saying. It seems you misunderstood me.

3rd_PA_Artillery
04-02-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm sorry, but that old cyclorama building is pretty ugly. I'll agree, it has some historical significance, though. I heard some people say it was a great historic landmark and it should not be torn down, but guess what; that old building is impeding the look of the great historic landmark that was already there before it. Bet they didn't think of that... I hope they just move it. It will keep the people who like the building happy, and it will keep the battlefield conservationists happy.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
04-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Hallo!

"I heard some people say it was a great historic landmark and it should not be torn down,..."

Everybody like something different.

Some folks said the above about the Gettysburg "space tower."

As Herr Bernard said, these are usually not win-wins.

Just like the tree removal project...

CHS

Brian Wolle
04-02-2009, 10:51 PM
that last post didn't destroy the hobby one smidgeon! You are not living up to your code!

mladair
04-03-2009, 09:08 AM
The rest of the build has been pretty much removed now as well:

http://www.gettysburgdaily.com/?p=3250

Matt Adair

josie wales
04-03-2009, 09:59 AM
Hey, Yaaaaaaaay !! Progress is sweet and those who sacrificed are once again honored, JW

davevcorporl
04-23-2009, 06:24 PM
now all we need to do is get rid of the ugly building that they call the cyclorama which i was out there the day before easter and they have started to tare that down. finally we are moving back to a beautiful park except for the monuments but there isn't anything we can do about that.