PDA

View Full Version : Service dogs in the Hospitals ??

MAryland Field Hospital
03-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Ive been looking around to see if there were any service dogs in medicals corps. I know of Sallie the APBT with the 11th PA , but dont see any others. I would love to bring my APBT to an event but really want it to be period correct. Dose any one know of any Confederate Hospitals that had dogs with them during the war ? I will continue to look but any help would be most appreciated

Thanks in advance
Dan

NoahBriggs
03-30-2009, 08:13 AM
We had a dog in our camp at Winter of 64 a year ago. The dog was one of the participants' pets, but he was supposed to simulate numerous strays the army tended to pick up over the course of their operations.

Not sure what you mean by a "service dog". Could you clarify the statement?

Also, you may want to hit the civilian section, which had a discussion on bringing pets to events. It tends to be discouraged, as the environment will be intimidating, there will be clueless strangers trying to pet the dog, and regardless of well you think your pet is trained, you still have no idea how it will act under this new form of stress.

The discussion is sprinkled through the Olustee thread.

http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12492&page=2&highlight=pets

I'm in the school of "don't bring pets to events"--out of concern for the pet itself. Events are *highly* stressful, and the best animals are put in situations that are just too much for them, and I don't find it fair for the poor things. The noises, smells, and dangers (from animals, fires, strangers) are a risk to the animal, as well as being a liability for the event. (However, there may be very small local group activities where a pet would be welcomed and safe, so dogs aren't necessarily left out of living history altogether. )

Sorry, if once again I am that annoying wet blanket. )-:

MAryland Field Hospital
03-30-2009, 08:30 AM
We had a dog in our camp at Winter of 64 a year ago. The dog was one of the participants' pets, but he was supposed to simulate numerous strays the army tended to pick up over the course of their operations.

Not sure what you mean by a "service dog". Could you clarify the statement?

Also, you may want to hit the civilian section, which had a discussion on bringing pets to events. It tends to be discouraged, as the environment will be intimidating, there will be clueless strangers trying to pet the dog, and regardless of well you think your pet is trained, you still have no idea how it will act under this new form of stress.

The discussion is sprinkled through the Olustee thread.

http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12492&page=2&highlight=pets

I'm in the school of "don't bring pets to events"--out of concern for the pet itself. Events are *highly* stressful, and the best animals are put in situations that are just too much for them, and I don't find it fair for the poor things. The noises, smells, and dangers (from animals, fires, strangers) are a risk to the animal, as well as being a liability for the event. (However, there may be very small local group activities where a pet would be welcomed and safe, so dogs aren't necessarily left out of living history altogether. )

Sorry, if once again I am that annoying wet blanket. )-:

i was thinking of dogs like Sallie who would go out to the field and point out wounded as in terms of service dogs . i understand peoples concern for the new environment and such she would never be at large events and always handled by some one never set alone , the only time i really would think of bringing her is when i could find no one to watch her for the weekend ..which would probably be 1 or 2 times a year. I would also always check with the event coordinator as to if animals besides horses are welcome or not ..if not its no big deal and would never bring her to a large event only small locals . if i couldnt find some one to watch her for a large event i just wouldnt go .

its just hard to find a decent kennel for an APBT , as nice as she is with all her accreditation she is still branded with the moniker of being vicious .She is a service dog who goes to old folks homes and hospitals for people to pet so she is accustom to getting touched for hours on end so people touching her isnt an issue but i understand how you would be concerned with it and all the noise , fires and goings on in a camp . Thanks for the info i will check out the civilian threads

Dan

hanktrent
03-30-2009, 08:48 AM
Service dogs? Not that I know of. I've seen mention of dogs used to lead the blind in civilian circumstances, but nothing to indicate dogs were specifically trained in any particular capacity to help the medical department.

Stray dogs around a hospital, as mascots and pets? Sure. Check out the story here (http://books.google.com/books?pg=PA559&dq=hospital+dog+date:1861-1870&lr=&as_drrb_is=q&as_minm_is=1&as_miny_is=2009&as_maxm_is=12&as_maxy_is=2009&id=Me8LAAAAIAAJ&as_brr=0&as_pt=ALLTYPES&output=html)about "****, the Four-footed Orderly." Here's (http://books.google.com/books?pg=PA314&dq=hospital+dog+date:1861-1870&lr=&as_drrb_is=q&as_minm_is=1&as_miny_is=2009&as_maxm_is=12&as_maxy_is=2009&id=G4YCAAAAIAAJ&as_brr=0&as_pt=ALLTYPES&output=html) a story about Sport, a mascot who reported wounded to the hospital and stayed.

Hank Trent
hanktrent@voyager.net

bgent
03-30-2009, 10:41 AM
before i had to put my trained K9 down recently I always took him with me. In case we were called out however it was always discouraged at the events I viewed and i belive not allowed on state property-- ie state parks etc unless we were working ( he was a drug and tracking dog) his disposition was never in question but as the others stated besides the endless people wanting to run up with the best of intentions to hug the dog like mine they only take so much and react in a defensive manor. besides that all the other confusion is way too stressful for a dog mine was obviously used to gunfire and chos but it just stresses em out best to leave a dog home and believe me its like a child you want the best for them. I either had a family member sit with him or I stayed home. Service dogs and K9s never make good kennel dogs because they need constant companionship they become too people oriented. and are always one qwner pets.

as stated in a earlier note here i had to put my dog down Id gladly even though I love reenacting chose my dog 's company over all . Funny how we get attached like that . Then again any pet owner can easily see why
Good luck in your search