PDA

View Full Version : Gods and Generals revisited

reb64
03-26-2009, 10:47 PM
In light of recent events/ this film is becoming better every viewing. I am ready to take up musket in anyone wants to lead. I just got chewed out at work for asking to not accept the lower withholding amount on my payroll taxes that just came out. I was told its not right to complain but accept it. I have to pay more later i guess. tea party?

tompritchett
03-27-2009, 10:17 AM
I just got chewed out at work for asking to not accept the lower withholding amount on my payroll taxes that just came out. I was told its not right to complain but accept it. I have to pay more later i guess. tea party?

I always thought that an employee on his or her W-2 could request more money taken taken out beyond the standard deductions. There is also the option of declaring 0 exceptions which I do every year to avoid the "marraige" tax and being taxed later on the annual income we get from my wife's family farm.

10TN
03-27-2009, 11:31 AM
"better every viewing"?-GAG had to be one of the all time worst CW era movies ever made-poorly editted, mediocre CGI, loose adherence to historical facts,and just bad acting. It resembalence to the book is only passing, the book actually being much better. To tell the truth-If I hadn't been seeing it for free at a 'sneak preview' I'd have walked out at intermission and demanded my money back. This movie shouldn't be called Gods and Generals but 'The Stonewall Story' -events that occupied 1 page in the book were drug out for 20-30 min. that could have been better used filling out the storyline of the other characters. Heck, Hancock-one of the four major characters in the book, barely shows up for a few minutes during the Fredricksburg section

sbl
03-27-2009, 11:41 AM
G&G isn't the film to start a revolt over but it did have the pleasingly plump Kali Rocha!

http://l.yimg.com/img.movies.yahoo.com/ymv/us/img/hv/photo/movie_pix/warner_brothers/gods_and_generals/_group_photos/kali_rocha9.jpg

DamYankee25
03-27-2009, 11:42 AM
"better every viewing"?-GAG had to be one of the all time worst CW era movies ever made-poorly editted, mediocre CGI, loose adherence to historical facts,and just bad acting. It resembalence to the book is only passing, the book actually being much better. To tell the truth-If I hadn't been seeing it for free at a 'sneak preview' I'd have walked out at intermission and demanded my money back. This movie shouldn't be called Gods and Generals but 'The Stonewall Story' -events that occupied 1 page in the book were drug out for 20-30 min. that could have been better used filling out the storyline of the other characters. Heck, Hancock-one of the four major characters in the book, barely shows up for a few minutes during the Fredricksburg section

I give this review a STRONG second. Having sat thru 4 hours of the filming I wanted those 4 hours and 4 hours of watching "The Stonewall Monologues" back. I hope if they make The Last Full Measure another company and director take it over.

DColeman
03-27-2009, 12:20 PM
I thought Kali's best role was the annoying flight attendant in the movie "Meet the Parents" :cool:
GAG..pretty decent, way too long. I preferred Wicked Spring & Andersonville better though.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
03-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Hallo!

IMHO...

Everyone likes something different.

While I suppose any Civil War movie is better than no Civil War movies, we have been subjected, er treated, to some less than "stellar" wastes of actors' talents and film.
But I think they have been a boon to the struggling Three Stooges' wig and beard industry.

IMHO, a person can declare what inocme deductions they want via an IRS withholding form. While they are standard exemptions and percentages of withholding, I have always claimed "0" and run the withholding percentages up to:

1. assure I owe nothing come April
2. and while not the soundest or smartest investment strategy, I use the higher deductions as a forced "savings plan" to get some Greenbacks back.
(I'd rather get a few dollars less per pay and receive a larger lump sum return in March.)

What pressure, or coercion, legal or otherwise, an employer or boss can exert may be more a matter for the IRS, labor relations boards, or unions.

I think the other comment may possibly be Modern Politics tied to the April 15 tax day "Silent Majority" "National Tea Party Day" protests.

;) :)

CHS

Irish Bill
04-01-2009, 11:49 PM
I give this review a STRONG second. Having sat thru 4 hours of the filming I wanted those 4 hours and 4 hours of watching "The Stonewall Monologues" back. I hope if they make The Last Full Measure another company and director take it over.

well I fell asleep the first time I watched the film and I own a hardcover copy of the book SIGNED by jeff (it was only 7.50 if that tells you anything)and I forced myself to finish that book.... well i didnt read the last chapter , i gave up.

I think that movie will place in the top ten of preachiest, dialogue ridden, (minute) action movies.

On a plus Ted turner has said he will not do last full measure due to poor box office results of both movies.

nast t
04-03-2009, 07:10 AM
I like some parts like the forming up of the Irish Brigade at Marye's Heights and the in town action. The movies intro song and showing of all the regimental flags.

3rd_PA_Artillery
04-03-2009, 07:18 AM
There was far too much left out of the movie. For instance, I suppose everything from June-September 1862 just didn't happen. No Seven Days, no Second Manassas, no Antietam, no nothin'. If you remember Edwin "Bull" Sumner, commander of the II Corps in '62, his character was cut from the film completely. He and Hancock were supposed to have some huge conversation before Fredericksburg, but it never happened.

I'll admit, I rather like the battle sequences, they are very impressive, but this movie just leaves out waaaay too much. I give it three confused people. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Brian Wolle
04-20-2009, 10:38 PM
was so high so it must stand as the biggest letdown of my reenacting career (so to speak). The result being that no one else will attempt a CW movie for a while and we are forfeit because of it.

captdougofky
04-20-2009, 11:05 PM
If you cannot say something nice don't say anything at all. I've said to much already. Waste of money- Film like that hurts the Hobby. Worst movie of all time.

Always
Doug Thomas
Lyons Battery CS
Kentucky

OVI
04-21-2009, 07:10 AM
If you cannot say something nice don't say anything at all. I've said to much already. Waste of money- Film like that hurts the Hobby. Worst movie of all time.

Always
Doug Thomas
Lyons Battery CS
Kentucky

Doug....we agree on something.

Kent Dorr - Ohio
"Devils Own Mess"

Cove Rebel
04-21-2009, 09:31 AM
G&G isn't the film to start a revolt over but it did have the pleasingly plump Kali Rocha!

http://l.yimg.com/img.movies.yahoo.com/ymv/us/img/hv/photo/movie_pix/warner_brothers/gods_and_generals/_group_photos/kali_rocha9.jpg

Amen to that! :D :D

Cove Rebel
04-21-2009, 09:38 AM
I guess it begs the question: do you go to be entertained by a MOVIE, or do you go to learn a history lesson? For those that can keep their wits about them, they realize this is simply a movie, meant for entertainment. I mean come on guys, it is just a film. Every book-based film I have ever seen has butchered the original material. What else should you expect?

You should go in knowing it will suck then embrace the suck.

It has lots of dying yankees so I give it 3 smileys. :D :D :D

johnduffer
04-21-2009, 10:14 AM
"do you go to be entertained by a MOVIE, or do you go to learn a history lesson? "

As far as GODS AND GENERALS is concerned neither apply. Is there a third option ? (buttered popcorn maybe :D )

John Duffer

Cove Rebel
04-21-2009, 10:21 AM
"do you go to be entertained by a MOVIE, or do you go to learn a history lesson? "

As far as GODS AND GENERALS is concerned neither apply. Is there a third option ? (buttered popcorn maybe :D )

John Duffer

I freely admit that one of the only things I like about our local theater is that it gives free refills on popcorn and drinks. pass that salt too.

Pvt. Sweetey
04-21-2009, 06:17 PM
I finally got to watch Gods and Generals on HBO, my dad watched it with me but soon stopped after the first hour. I thought it was a good movie, the battles were awesome and the song "Bonnie Blue Flag" was a nice touch- I STILL watch that clip on youtube all the time.

IN REPLY TO MR. COVE REBEL,

Stonewall Jackson was shot by his own men so I give it 3 smileys as well :D :D :D

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
04-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Hallo!

"As far as GODS AND GENERALS is concerned neither apply. Is there a third option ? (buttered popcorn maybe)"

As a third option...

Breathe deeply my Pretties, the diacetyl will cure any notions about the film.

;) :)

CHS
Bronchiolitis obliterans Mess

sbl
04-21-2009, 08:05 PM
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u100/sbl1952/MST3K1.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u100/sbl1952/MST3K2.jpg

josie wales
04-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Hey, Great stills.......please share background, JW

OVI
04-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Is that one still from Jacksons flank attack on a Civil War reenactment? Makes my eyes hurt all over again.

Kent Dorr - Ohio
"Siskel & Ebert" Mess

rbright
04-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Not as good as Gettysburg, still waiting for Last Full Measure to be produced

Roger Brightwell
1st Nebraska Inf
a galvanbized yankee from Virginia

sbl
04-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Stills were found on the "internets."

OVI
04-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Not as good as Gettysburg, still waiting for Last Full Measure to be produced

Roger Brightwell
1st Nebraska Inf
a galvanbized yankee from Virginia

LFM will never be made...especially by Maxwell. Thankfully.

Kent Dorr - Ohio
"Devils Own Mess"

tompritchett
04-21-2009, 10:43 PM
I guess it begs the question: do you go to be entertained by a MOVIE

I went to enjoy the movie and was disappointed. My wife and I typically several movies a year at the theaters. From the wandering, or almost non-existent, plot line, to the stilted dialog, to very poor special effects (how many times during the 1rst Mananas battle did they show the same number of Federal lines approaching the Confederate line after each wave of Federals hit them or the, at best hokie, overall shot of Fredericksburg) the movie did not live up to its billings. But then I guess that I am spoiled as my wife and I try to see almost all the movies that get nominated for Oscars in the categories of Best Cinematography, Best Actors and Actress in both Supporting and Overall, as well as Best Picture and Best Special Effects. When compared against movies of that caliber, GAG was a Grade B movie at best, regardless of any historical issues.