PDA

View Full Version : Actor goes to bat for preservation

Regular3
03-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Richard Dreyfuss. You just never know who's interested ...

Dreyfuss calls attention to neglected battlefields (http://wtopnews.com/?nid=114&sid=1628047)

sbl
03-19-2009, 06:36 PM
I remember that he was spotted at a Cedar Creek reenactment in the 90s.
Richard Dreyfuss has had a hand in two CW/WBTS features:

# "The Great Battles of the Civil War" (1994) TV mini-series (voice) .... Narrator

# Lincoln (1992) (TV) (voice) .... William Tecumsah Sherman

When folks use the term "Hollyweird" they forget about history buffs like Dreyfuss. He's pretty good as VP Cheney in "W."

Robert A Mosher
03-19-2009, 11:42 PM
I remember that he was spotted at a Cedar Creek reenactment in the 90s.
Richard Dreyfuss has had a hand in two CW/WBTS features:

# "The Great Battles of the Civil War" (1994) TV mini-series (voice) .... Narrator

# Lincoln (1992) (TV) (voice) .... William Tecumsah Sherman

When folks use the term "Hollyweird" they forget about history buffs like Dreyfuss. He's pretty good as VP Cheney in "W."

As I recall it at the CWPT event he admitted to having fallen in with the '1st Virginia' - noting that it didn't come easy for a devout Unionist.

Robert A. Mosher

sbl
03-20-2009, 08:48 AM
He has played "villians." ;)

Pete K
03-20-2009, 10:19 AM
There are a few actors who do good work for history. A good example is all that Tom Hanks has done for the WWII memorial and to commerate the Space program (Apollo XIII and From the Earth to the Moon for example).

sbl
03-20-2009, 11:58 AM
Tom Berenger tries with Rough Riders, One Man's Hero, Into the West, and of course, Gettysburg.

tompritchett
03-20-2009, 12:18 PM
When folks use the term "Hollyweird" they forget about history buffs like Dreyfuss.

Although I do not recall him playing any historical figures, I heard Peter Weller's narrate several history related shows. I can think of other actors who have also narrated such shows but then they also tend to narrate commercials while I believe Weller limits his narrations to just history related work.

sbl
03-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Dreyfuss had done a few historical characters beside his recent film.

Dillinger Baby Face Nelson

Prisoner of Honor Col. Picquart

The Day Reagan Was Shot Alexander Haig

Micah Trent
03-20-2009, 09:57 PM
I thought is was awesome to see Dreyfuss in the national spotlight, taking time off the acting stage, and making an impact on the historical stage of preservation. If only more voices like his could be heard.

Remise
03-21-2009, 11:12 AM
I thought is was awesome to see Dreyfuss in the national spotlight, taking time off the acting stage, and making an impact on the historical stage of preservation. If only more voices like his could be heard.

Richard Dreyfuss is also the narrator of "End of Innocence," the film shown in the visitors center at Manassas NBP, or whatever the acronym is these days.

B.C. Milligan
Company K, First Penna. Reserves

Brian Wolle
03-22-2009, 10:09 PM
I remember many years ago reading he was interested in Napoleonics. Not too far of a stretch to reach our territory.