PDA

View Full Version : Proper Grammar

tompritchett
08-02-2006, 11:02 PM
One disturbing trend that I have been seeing more and more online is the lack of proper grammar and spelling. Granted we all occassionally misspell words usually due to typographical errors and do not always catch all of our errors when we proof our own work. (When I worked as a consultant, we always had a second person proof our reports and letters because the original writer will rarely catch all of his errors. After all the author knows what was supposed to be said and, consequently, will not always see what is actually being said.) But what really bothers me is the constant use of "your" for "you're" and posts with large number of misspellings. I can still remember my high school grammar teacher telling me that regardless of how good my ideas were, they would never be taken seriously if my spelling and grammar made me appear to be just a country bumpkin that just arrived in town. Over the years in observing how others react to the written word, I can only admire the wisdom in his observation.

Just my 2 cents for the night.

reb64
08-03-2006, 01:04 AM
Your point was I take is that you're noticing alot of grammatical errors in your reading. Perhaps you're right about your observation.

JBW
08-03-2006, 06:44 AM
I am not blessed with the best of spelling or grammar. :rolleyes:
Fortunately, I found a good (free) spell checker that works in forums such as these. Simply check your message before posting and it will suggest corrections.

(I have found one or two forum setups that the spell-checker will not start up in the "reply" text box, but will start in the "title" text box and will check the entire message.) :confused:

http://www.iespell.com/

HighPrvt
08-03-2006, 09:04 AM
But I am a country bumpkin' that just arrived in town. :)

bulletsponge
08-03-2006, 11:58 AM
And the abuse of apostrophes sometimes enters the realm of apostasy!

See:

The Apostrophe Protection Society (http://www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk/)

flattop32355
08-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Eye hav tride too bee u gud spellar ' an chek mi gramer, to. Butt sumtimz it are hard two du sew win eye aim tiping abut u subjek thet eye reelie kar abut.

thin eye kin git reelie eksited ' an loose aul kuntrole ovur wat eye is tipin abut.

Sew ' eye has two bea karfule abut watt eye im sa'in, ore uthur peepil mite nut unnerstan watt eye reelie meen.

Eye im sew glaad mi kumpewtur caim wit a spelchekar! Itt kan bee reel handee.

Yur humbil suRvint'

cookiemom
08-03-2006, 04:12 PM
Eye hav tride too bee u gud spellar ' an chek mi gramer, to. Butt sumtimz it are hard two du sew win eye aim tiping abut u subjek thet eye reelie kar abut.

thin eye kin git reelie eksited ' an loose aul kuntrole ovur wat eye is tipin abut.

Sew ' eye has two bea karfule abut watt eye im sa'in, ore uthur peepil mite nut unnerstan watt eye reelie meen.

Yur humbil suRvint'
Great fun! It kinda looks like Swedish to me... ;)
Thanks for the laugh, Mr. B!

Carole

bulletsponge
08-03-2006, 04:23 PM
It can't be Swedish, because then it would look like this:

I hefe-a treeid tu be-a e guud spillir und chick my gremmer tuu. Boot sumiteemis eet ees herd tu du su vhee I em typeeng ebuoot e soobjict tet I rielly cere-a ebuoot. Bork, bork, bork! Zeen I cun git rielly ixeetid und luse-a ell cuntrul ufir vhet I em typeeng ebuoot. Su I hefe-a tu be-a ceriffool ebuoot vhet I em seyeeng, ur uzeer piuple-a meeght nut oondirstund vhet I rielly miun. Bork, bork, bork! I em su gled my cumpootir ceme-a veet e spill chickir! It cun be-a rielly hundy. Bork, bork, bork!

Yuoor hoomble-a sirfunt

southern_belle1861
08-03-2006, 04:28 PM

Yur humbil suRvint'

eye don had the saim probolem.
Thanks!

cookiemom
08-03-2006, 04:31 PM
It can't be Swedish, because then it would look like this:
I stand corrected... (actually I was trying not to fall out of my chair! :lol: )

Thank you, too, John!

Carole

cookiemom
08-03-2006, 06:30 PM
One disturbing trend that I have been seeing more and more online is the lack of proper grammar and spelling. Granted we all occassionally misspell words usually due to typographical errors and do not always catch all of our errors when we proof our own work. (When I worked as a consultant, we always had a second person proof our reports and letters because the original writer will rarely catch all of his errors. After all the author knows what was supposed to be said and, consequently, will not always see what is actually being said.) But what really bothers me is the constant use of "your" for "you're" and posts with large number of misspellings. I can still remember my high school grammar teacher telling me that regardless of how good my ideas were, they would never be taken seriously if my spelling and grammar made me appear to be just a country bumpkin that just arrived in town. Over the years in observing how others react to the written word, I can only admire the wisdom in his observation.

Just my 2 cents for the night.

You're absolutely right, Sir. I can't tell you how many times this ex-teacher/librarian/paralegal/proofreader has wanted to take a red pen to the screen to correct some error. Spelling, grammar, and composition are areas in which almost all of us can still improve.

Carole Christina Wilkinson
FullNamesAyeAyeSir Mess

MStuart
08-03-2006, 06:49 PM
While we're at it, how 'bout being too lazy to spell out words?

Repop for reproduction (what the heck is a "repop"?)
WTJ for the War on the James event, amongst others A140, G140, RM, etc.
Viv for Vivandiere

To name just a few. It's not like we're getting charged by the letter....spell it out for corn's sake!!!!!!!!

Mark

Just a little cranky today

(Realizing "To name just a few" is a bad sentance) Nothing like a little hypocracy in a post.

cookiemom
08-03-2006, 07:05 PM
While we're at it, how 'bout being too lazy to spell out words?

Repop for reproduction (what the heck is a "repop"?)
WTG for the War on the James event, amongst others A140, G140, RM, etc.
Viv for Vivandiere

To name just a few. It's not like we're getting charged by the letter....spell it out for corn's sake!!!!!!!!

Mark

Just a little cranky today

I agree. I learned only last month what 'EBUFU' means -- I kept trying to figure out how it could be a variant of 'SNAFU'... :rolleyes: Truly.

HighPrvt
08-03-2006, 07:19 PM
What does EBUFU stand for? I know what EFUBU stands for.
Where's my red pen when I need it??

:)

MStuart
08-03-2006, 07:35 PM
What does EBUFU stand for? I know what EFUBU stands for.
Where's my red pen when I need it??

:)

Events By Us For Us

Sorta coined a few years back by the upper levels of authenticists in naming events they wished to have as their own. As a Mainstreamer, if I may be so bold, Rich Mountain would qualify as EBUFU, 145th Manassas event wouldn't.

Mark

HighPrvt
08-03-2006, 07:53 PM
Events By Us For Us

Sorta coined a few years back by the upper levels of authenticists in naming events they wished to have as their own. As a Mainstreamer, if I may be so bold, Rich Mountain would qualify as EBUFU, 145th Manassas event wouldn't.

Mark

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought it was EFUBU,
Events For Us By Us

I'll go check on the Authentic Campaigner Forum (notice I didn't abbreviate)
I'll be right back.

EDIT: Yep I was right, it's EFUBU

SGT. Pepper, this, and my previous post in this thread are meant in a humours manor!!!

MStuart
08-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Events For Us By Us

I'll be right back.

SGT. Pepper, this, and my previous post in this thread are meant in a humours manor!!!

Uh, Oh.......you may be correct (in fact, you probably are). In any case, the lettering may have been off (in the original question and my reply), but I think it was the same question, so to speak.

Mark

This getting up at 4:30 a.m. for daylight shift this week is killin' me Mess

MStuart
08-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Events For Us By Us

I'll be right back.

EDIT: Yep I was right, it's EFUBU

Rascalian!!!!!!!!! I thought you were serious. sigh.....And I was only trying to help.........:-(

Mark

cookiemom
08-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Rascalian!!!!!!!!! I thought you were serious. sigh.....And I was only trying to help.........:-(

Mark
And if it had been spelled out in the first place, we'd have at least six fewer posts to read here...

Now, which is it? Are you trying to confuse me again? ;)

Kimmel
08-03-2006, 10:44 PM

Yur humbil suRvint'

The fact that I read the whole thing without fault troubles me :-D
I hafa get bak skoo aigh now ;-)

YankRI
08-03-2006, 11:06 PM
The last time I engaged in this sort of discussion I was chastened for denouncing the use of an extra "e" in the word "judgment." Something to do with my Yankee upbringing as I recall.

For an amusing look at punctuation (particularly with respect to apostrophes), I highly recommend Lynne Truss's book, Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation. (And at the risk of being chastised again, I believe the use of the possessive after Lynne's last name is correct as her name is in singular form. Of course, I may be using poor judg(e)ment yet again...:D) The title of the book is the punch line to the well-known "Panda" joke:

A panda walks into a restaurant, sits down, and orders a sandwich. He eats the sandwich, pulls out a gun, and shoots the waiter dead. As the panda stands up to go, the manager shouts, "Hey! Where are you going? You just shot my waiter, and you didn't even pay for your sandwich!"

"Hey, man, I'm a PANDA!" the panda shouts back. "Look it up!"

The manager opens his dictionary and reads:

Panda: A tree-dwelling marsupial of Asian origin, characterized by distinct black and white coloring. Eats, shoots and leaves.

cookiemom
08-03-2006, 11:19 PM
The fact that I read the whole thing without fault troubles me :-D
If I laugh any harder I'll start waking people up... ;)

Sgt_Pepper
08-04-2006, 03:17 AM

So taken, and if I may be so presumptuous, I shall also take it in a humorous manner.

HighPrvt
08-04-2006, 04:43 AM
So taken, and if I may be so presumptuous, I shall also take it in a humorous manner.

I told y'all I was a country bumpkin' that couldn't spell.......

brooks7md
08-09-2006, 04:51 PM
MYSELF - the number of times this is the proper word to use are so infrequent that any use of the word is dangerous. Avoid it, use "me." Everyone seems afraid to use "me" for some reason.

If you must use it, make sure the word "I" is also in the sentence. If you do you'll be correct 95% of the time.

brooks7md
08-11-2006, 06:10 AM
The plural of e-mail is e-mail. There is no word "e-mails." The "e" in e-mail is for electronic - an adjective describing the noun mail, just as junk or business are adjectives describing mail. If there were four envelopes in your work mailbox would you say that you'd received four "business mails?" Would you ever use the term "junk mails?" I think not.

Patrick

Frenchie
08-11-2006, 08:16 AM
Strunk & White's The Elements of Style is still the best small, convenient reference available. IMO, it should be issued to every elementary school student.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strunk_and_White

Ephraim_Zook
08-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Alas, you've gotten the punchline wrong. There shouldn't be any comma between Eats and shoots. The definition describes the panda's dining habits -- it eats shoots and leaves. It's the ambiguity that makes the joke work.
Ain't English wonderful?

Quote:
Panda: A tree-dwelling marsupial of Asian origin, characterized by distinct black and white coloring. Eats, shoots and leaves.

Tom Scoufalos
08-11-2006, 01:42 PM
I feel as though I have a good grasp of punctuation; in that aspect I have always had the utmost confidence in my posts.

Spelling, for me, is another matter entirely. To be frank, my spelling is ABYSSMAL, and I am very self-concious about it. When making a post of any meaning, I will usually spell check it on a word processor program before actually sending it off. I did not in this case, kind of to see what comes up, if anything.

The irony of my particular deficency is the fact that spelling lenghty medical words is usually a snap for me...like "endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography" or "portosystemic encephalopathy". But spell "origional"? I STILL can't spell that right....

Pete K
09-07-2006, 07:45 AM
Oh what a big topic we have stumbled upon! I am guilty of missing typos in posts myself (embarrassed school teacher here), but the use of modern slang: AGGGGHHHH! the use of numbers ("4") for words. Maybe I am too "2" old school for "4" my own good. My students are to write their ideas and answers in English not in e-mail, text message, or rap language on papers. I often visit the English teacher next door if I have questions about my writing. I'm not too proud to ask for help with my weaknesses. I am a weak speller at times. Should we even go into when abbreviations are proper or not? Sorry just had to vent!

Frenchie
09-07-2006, 11:35 AM
Well, then Fido got up off the floor, and he rolled over
And he looked me straight in the eye
And you know what he said?
"Once upon a time, somebody say to me (this is the dog talkin' now)
'What is your conceptual continuity?'"
"Well I told 'em right then," Fido said
"It should be easy to see
The crux of the biscuit
Is the apostrophe."
-- Frank Zappa, Apostrophe (')

Frenchie, Stink Foot Mess

Rob
09-08-2006, 11:46 AM
http://insight.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020415,39273376,00.htm

tompritchett
09-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Overall a good site as I have observed many of the listed errors on this forum. Thank you.