PDA

View Full Version : Death of Famed Appalachian/Civil War musician Jim Taylor

tarheel_fifer
03-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Many of you in the hobby may be familiar with folk musician Jim Taylor of North Carolina. His albums are sold in many battlefield National Park gift shops. They include "The Falls of Richmond," "The Civil War Collection, vol. 1 & 2" "Songs from the Civil War" and "The Bright Sunny South." He was one of the last of the OLD-STYLE mountain musicians, playing guitar, banjo, dulcimer, hammered dulcimer, and fiddle. He also had an amazing authentic, period-sounding singing voice.

Unfortunately, Jim died last Saturday, March 7, apparently by his own hand. It is a truly tragic loss for historical music, Appalachian culture, and the hobby of reenacting (he was a longtime member of the 26th NC Reg.)

I just thought I would share this bad news with the reenacting community.

David Rotan
Carolina Fifes & Drums

KarinTimour
03-12-2009, 07:43 AM
Thank you for posting this, I've been a fan of his music for several years now, having stumbled over the first CD, and have given it several times to others as a gift.

We have lost a gifted musician, whose music many of us enjoyed.

Mr. Rotan, would you please post the information if the family would like donations sent to a particular charity? I'd be happy to contribute in Mr. Taylor's memory.

Sadly,
Karin Timour
Period Knitting -- Socks, Sleeping Hats, Balaclavas
Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Brian Wolle
03-20-2009, 10:43 PM
I remember his first and second -tapes, I had. Many an hour spent enjoying them. How tragic someone so valuable and worthy takes his own life! Why these things happen. Loneliness? Money? Makes your heart ache...