PDA

View Full Version : Brandy Station 08'

VaTrooper
08-01-2006, 10:55 AM
I cant let out any details yet but I thought the Cavalry troopers out there should know that there's a Brandy Station 08' in planning. And its gonna be a good one.

Jubilo
08-02-2006, 10:37 AM
Dear Sir ,
Glad to hear of a Brandy Station event ! Any details as to date, web site , location , host units etc. ? Thank you .
all for the old flag,
David Corbett

"I would rather die than get whipped ," -Gen. JEB Stuart

VaTrooper
08-02-2006, 11:40 AM
David,
Since the event is a long ways off I was asked not to "let the cat out of the bag." But I will be trickling out information as time goes by. I will say that we, the 4th Va Co D, are hosting this one.

reb64
08-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Probably come down to doing a long medley once a year, Manasas in the mornign, wilderness afternoon, brandy station sun and cedar creek sun afternnon all at cedar Creek.

VaTrooper
08-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Probably come down to doing a long medley once a year, Manasas in the mornign, wilderness afternoon, brandy station sun and cedar creek sun afternnon all at cedar Creek.

:confused:

Are you talking about land issues?

reb64
08-04-2006, 09:20 PM
Lately I have had the feeling if I was blindfolded and driven to a event and fought the scripted battle, they would all be the same. You could tell me it was whatever battle you wanted. There have been exceptions of course and I long for those again. Hopefully Perryvill will be one of them. Oh and saylors creek in the 90's

VaTrooper
08-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Well you'd have to be blindfolded and put on a horse to make this one.

reb64
08-04-2006, 10:42 PM
I'm sure there is to be a large dismount component with "on paper" mounts. Thats how Mine Creek Kansas has been for years, mostly foot soldiers.

VaTrooper
08-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Im not so sure.....

frankstevanus
08-05-2006, 03:51 AM
This event is for REAL Cavalry buddy. If you don't have a horse you're NOT getting in. Case closed! "Who is this guy, and what medications is he currently taking?"

I'm sure there is to be a large dismount component with "on paper" mounts. Thats how Mine Creek Kansas has been for years, mostly foot soldiers.

MStuart
08-05-2006, 09:40 AM
This event is for REAL Cavalry buddy. If you don't have a horse you're NOT getting in. Case closed! "Who is this guy, and what medications is he currently taking?"

I didn't want to come to your stupid event anyway!!!! :-(

Mark

Check the tongue in the cheek of the smiley guy

hussard7
08-05-2006, 10:16 AM
Mark: You are invited to ride one of mine if you want to come.

Frank: Do not forget that there was a large area above St. James church where Rooney and Fitzhugh Lees' brigade fought dismounted. Also those sneaky Yanks brought 2 brigades of infantry. Ames' had the 2d & 33d Mass, the 86th & 124th NY and the 3d Wisc plus Battry K, 1st Arty, they stayed near Beverlys Ford with Bufords Division of Cavalry. Russell's Brigade consisting of the 2d & 7th Wisc and the 56th PA went down to Kellys Ford with the other two Divisions of Cavalry.

Yours,
Wayne Gregory
Capt, AAG, FFR and sometimes Pvt 7th NY Cav
Stafford, VA

MStuart
08-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Wayne:

Thank you, my friend.

Mark

frankstevanus
08-05-2006, 12:30 PM
...get a horse, instead. You wouldn't belive how fun it is to do authentic campaigning from the back of a mount. And the guys who are putting on this shin dig are about as authentic as you can get. In the three days there, you will learn more about authentic campaigning from a horse than you could reading all the books at the Smithsonian. These guys with the 1st Maine are the real deal. Believe me!
Come join us.

I didn't want to come to your stupid event anyway!!!! :-(

Mark

Check the tongue in the cheek of the smiley guy

VaTrooper
08-05-2006, 12:46 PM
Frank.....Buddy....... You got your wires crossed. The 1st Maine aint puttin this shindig on, we are.

VaTrooper
08-05-2006, 12:48 PM
Wayne,
Your getting ahead of me buddy. There's a long time to leak out details. But I will say, without starting a arguement!, that them dismounted fellers started out mounted.

frankstevanus
08-05-2006, 01:08 PM
Sorry Wildman. Your both good!!

Wayne,
Your getting ahead of me buddy. There's a long time to leak out details. But I will say, without starting a arguement!, that them dismounted fellers started out mounted.

MStuart
08-05-2006, 01:27 PM
The event is probably 22 months away......we could all be dead by then....or, I could win the powerball and end up being Wayne or Williams' neighbor, with my own stable and herd!!!!!!!!! I'm enough of a realist to know my place.

My previous comment was meant to be humerous, not a "why can't I come?" discourse. The dismounted cavalry debate has been done way too many times, let's not start it up here.

Mark

hussard7
08-05-2006, 01:49 PM
William:
I did not leak anything, as I am not in on the organizations of it. I only revealed data that is HISTORY, extracted from "Clash of Cavalry" by Downey. And of course I know that they started out mounted. I have been doing this since Oct 1990, always mounted. I have only been to one event without a horse, it was a one day thing with my old Captain, trying out a new horse. While there I got put up by the "Todd" on a horse he had rented to a staff type that he would not let ride after a short interview.
Yours,
Wayne Gregory
Stafford, VA

reb64
08-05-2006, 02:07 PM
I need medication but don't take any, but I still don't slander. Just merely commentiong on an event. All cav would be nice and I hope you pull it off. That would a sight to see, a large scale cav event. I just obseved that the Mine Creek Kansas event is mostly all mounted inf or cav, but the event is largely a common scripted foot soldier event, and I hoped the sasme dosen't befall yours.. Not enough cavalrymen or interest I guess.

VaTrooper
08-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Wayne,
Sending you a PM in few minutes.

VaTrooper
08-05-2006, 02:51 PM
Reb,
Historical accuracy will not be compromised for the sake of numbers.

Dave Myrick
08-06-2006, 08:20 PM
William,
Please keep me in the info loop on this one.
Thanks,
Dave
1st Maine Cavalry

VaTrooper
08-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Sure thing Dave.

bill watson
08-27-2006, 04:26 PM
You know, for "not letting the cat out of the bag," I'd say folks are getting ahead of themselves. Get the land, get a date, see how the cat's doing. Only then is the cat strong enough to survive out of the bag.

Now that the cat is out of the bag, who's got the bell?

ley74
08-27-2006, 05:43 PM
Mules were there. May I come on a mule?

No, I am not kidding and my meds are current.

One thing, is it going to be authentic or not? Really. The reference to the 1st Maine did not make sense.

VaTrooper
08-27-2006, 06:01 PM
We'll probably have one there.

VaTrooper
08-27-2006, 06:26 PM
Bill,
I must have missed your post. This event has a lot more details than have been leaked out here. This kitty's gonna be fine.

VaTrooper
04-07-2007, 07:04 PM
The kitty still lives......

RJSamp
04-08-2007, 12:04 AM
Mark: You are invited to ride one of mine if you want to come.

Yours,
Wayne Gregory
Capt, AAG, FFR and sometimes Pvt 7th NY Cav
Stafford, VA

Do you have an extra mount Wayne? $300 and I'll throw in a couple of healthy draws from a silver flask.

Let me know

rjsamp@ameritech.net or 630 561 3249

That mount I rented at Recon II would serve me well.....Dynamite!

RJSamp
04-08-2007, 12:06 AM
...get a horse, instead. You wouldn't belive how fun it is to do authentic campaigning from the back of a mount. And the guys who are putting on this shin dig are about as authentic as you can get. In the three days there, you will learn more about authentic campaigning from a horse than you could reading all the books at the Smithsonian. These guys with the 1st Maine are the real deal. Believe me!
Come join us.

Frank, when you do 60 miles in 4 days mounted like they did back in 1863 in Ohio....they don't consider it authentic nowadays. Just ask the troopers who where at both Morgan's Raids.

RJSamp
04-08-2007, 12:10 AM
Reb,
Historical accuracy will not be compromised for the sake of numbers.

That's the first strike against the event. NUMBERS was the name of the game at Brandy Station. If you don't get upwards of 1,000 horses at this event, then you've failed. If you think this was some skirmish with 1 squadron per side, then start reading. Library cards are free (right Rog?!).

Time to strike while the iron is hot....... but 14 authentic troopers does not make a company.

VaTrooper
04-08-2007, 08:16 AM
That's the first strike against the event. NUMBERS was the name of the game at Brandy Station. If you don't get upwards of 1,000 horses at this event, then you've failed. If you think this was some skirmish with 1 squadron per side, then start reading. Library cards are free (right Rog?!).

Time to strike while the iron is hot....... but 14 authentic troopers does not make a company.

RJ,
That comment was to Reb regarding the event being taken over by troves of dismounted cavalry and not so much towards the equipment standards. As of now the equipment standards are very.... :???: loose. But still 1000 horses is a very lofty goal.

lazyrebel2
04-25-2007, 12:30 PM
have not done one of those since back in the 90's. Any of you old guys remember who gave the "seminar" on 04's v repro saddles? Guy picked up my 04 conversion and said this was a period correct repop! But we had a lot of fun. Can you say anything about command etc?

VaTrooper
04-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Companies D and H of the 4th Va will share the duties for CS and Darrel Markijohn of the 6th OH will be heading up the Federals. I'm not sure who will be helping Darrel.

bill watson
04-25-2007, 04:35 PM
So, really, all I have to do to participate is buy a farm so I can buy a horse so I can buy a trailer so I can buy a truck to pull it so I can buy a saddle so I can ride.

No problem.

:-)

Really, sounds like a great, ambitious event.

Memphis
04-25-2007, 04:40 PM
Library cards are free (right Rog?!).

Library cards are free, yet priceless.

Overdue books are a different matter. :(

VaTrooper
04-25-2007, 04:43 PM
So, really, all I have to do to participate is buy a farm so I can buy a horse so I can buy a trailer so I can buy a truck to pull it so I can buy a saddle so I can ride.

No problem.

:-)

Really, sounds like a great, ambitious event.

Wasn't there a a few federal infantry at the battle? I can't remember. Who stole my library card?

RJSamp
04-25-2007, 07:20 PM
Wasn't there a a few federal infantry at the battle? I can't remember. Who stole my library card?

3rd Wisconsin Infantry was there.....

We've got 4 mounted from IL/WI committed....8th IL Cavalry was at Brandy Station and they wouldn't miss this for the world. If they need dismounts we can get another 30 from the Midwest. We're working on the Michigan and IL mounted crew.....don't think we'll get the MO boys to come that far east (they did the Morgan's Raid II and that was enough of the sojourner east impression). But we might get 10 horses from this neck of the woods. It would be need to get the 1st AL from WI to come...we'll talk it up over the summer.

1,000 horses? I don't even think we got that at G135 and there were a LOT of cavalry at that lollapalooza. But without the threat of some serious distance riding we could see some serious numbers at BS08.....

Charge!

VaTrooper
04-25-2007, 07:31 PM
Well if the dismounted fellas can ride I can get some of them in the saddle. And then there's the rental option. If I knew how they'd do around gunfire I can probably get access to 20 or more good trail horses. I'll work on that option but that's a lot of tack to make up for.

bill watson
04-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Well, after the farm, the truck, the trailer, the horse, the saddle, the saber, the carbine, the uniform and new kit, I'll have to learn the cavalry drill.

But it is appealing. Maybe by 2008. I'm learning to ride.

So far I haven't hurt the horse and the horse hasn't hurt me. Early times, though.

RJSamp
04-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Actually most of them do ride, regularly, at events.

a few years ago Jim Getz and Dale Price worked in conjunction with Peter Yurkonis to form a mounted platoon within the 8th. Several members already were mounted and mostly rode with the 10th MO. As part of the deal we set up a cavalry company street, with tents on one side and horses/picket line across the street (which works out to the back of the tents on the next company street)....every one participates in stable call, watering call, Boots and Saddles....so everyone learned from each other about adjusting blankets, girth straps, stirrups.....took turns riding....falling.....dismounting to fight on foot, equine management, picket line watch and how to break up the inevitable 'horsing' around. A couple of times we've had one platoon ride in, dismount and fight....then the led horses are taken back to their regular riders who then mount up....do the revolver and tinky tink battles...and then they dismount as well. All by the bugle (two prelude calls for the two platoons).

We have probably 10 extra saddles/equipments that we could bring along. Heck, our captain the ex special forces sniper was seen at a collected canter last weekend during Sunday's drill... we have a couple of horses that can't cut the muster for a national event (paint, pony, can't handle a crowd, etc.) and one horse was put on permanent waivers after her third break the lead at all costs shenanigans.... so renting is definitely a need.

We'll talk a ton at Wauconda....first weekend in July after the 4th. Then start talking about some committments. i'd love to see a company from MI, IN, IL, WI at BS08....throw in the Ohio boys and we'll quickly see the Federal mounted numbers grow....

lazyrebel2
04-26-2007, 12:24 PM
is it going to be on that the same site as the one back in the 90's off 29?
Wayne have not heard from you since I broke your pickett rope with the loader at the manassas event in leesburg. who you with now?

lazyrebel2
05-08-2007, 01:04 PM
anymore info on this event yet?

VaTrooper
05-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Companies D and H of the 4th Va will share the duties for CS and Darrel Markijohn of the 6th OH will be heading up the Federals. I'm not sure who will be helping Darrel.

Information will be trickled out every now and then as requested by my Lt so just keep an eye out here. Also the above quote is not "set in stone" but is just my best guess so far.

8thILCavalry
05-08-2007, 03:11 PM
The 8th has been notified about Brandy Station and we have been talking about Brandy and Gettysburg 145 in 08, Most of our boys want to go to Gettysburg but we have been saying that in the past Gettysburg has been an event that might get postponed and that just screws up everything.

The 8th was going to make the 140th but when they postponed it a month later that just was it for some of our beliefs in the event.

Our unit is like 70-30% on mounted and dis. 30% being mounted. So we are still talking about it. We have been told that the 8th did dismount during the battle and fought on foot some, so that helps on turning more to this event. We do have some that are good riders and some who rarely seen a horse, so its up in the air.

RJ PLAYS A MEAN HORN !!! :)

celtfiddler
05-08-2007, 04:12 PM
The 8th has been notified about Brandy Station and we have been talking about Brandy and Gettysburg 145 in 08, Most of our boys want to go to Gettysburg

Pete and Kathy have been talking about reserving our guest room since we told them how close we live to Gettysburg now. She never mentioned that Brandy Station was a possibility.

Does that also mean we need to have some beer in the fridge in case you stop by RJ?

vamick
05-09-2007, 11:49 AM
dont yall forget the horse artillery!...sure hope it isnt a mudfest like tha other Brandy...but who cares if it is!;)

RJSamp
05-09-2007, 01:34 PM
Pete and Kathy have been talking about reserving our guest room since we told them how close we live to Gettysburg now. She never mentioned that Brandy Station was a possibility.

Does that also mean we need to have some beer in the fridge in case you stop by RJ?

Absoluement, ma cheri!

although I've cut back considerably since August of last year (down to once a month festive occasion....Feliz Cinqo do Mayo!). Was swimming 30 minutes a day 3 times a week...now walking 1 hour+ 4 times a week....and will be starting some LSD/airborne shuffle after Memorial Day.

This is a definite trip for me....large scale cavalry bugling opportunities are relatively rare in the hobby.....Pete and I definitely had a superb time on the Morgan's Raid.

Maybe this is the kind of road trip where you go Chicago to GBurg....then down to Rita and Jim's spot.....over to Brandy Station.....to grandmother's house we go!

Anya is turning into quite the young lady!

Say hi to your worse half for me!

celtfiddler
05-09-2007, 04:49 PM
This is a definite trip for me....large scale cavalry bugling opportunities are relatively rare in the hobby.....Pete and I definitely had a superb time on the Morgan's Raid.

Maybe this is the kind of road trip where you go Chicago to GBurg....then down to Rita and Jim's spot.....over to Brandy Station.....to grandmother's house we go!

Anya is turning into quite the young lady!

Say hi to your worse half for me!

For us it's only about 3 hours depending on traffic to Gettysburg, less than two to Antietam, Monocacy, and Brandywine. I'd have to look at the MARC schedule to see how long it would take to get to Harper's Ferry.

Haven't seen my niece since we left the midwest to move to Spain in 03. They didn't come out to visit while we were in WA state so we're hoping they're able to make it out here.

I'd pass on the hello if he was home. He's on a brief military road trip.