PDA

View Full Version : Confederate Navy ship?

BrooksvilleRaider
03-06-2009, 01:05 AM
Does anyone know of a good Confederate Navy reenactors ship in Florida? I'm talking about the people who actually build the battleships, not the units who play landing parties. I just found out that people build these and hold sea battles, but I could only find one if Virginia.

Ross L. Lamoreaux
03-06-2009, 07:48 AM
Does anyone know of a good Confederate Navy reenactors ship in Florida? I'm talking about the people who actually build the battleships, not the units who play landing parties. I just found out that people build these and hold sea battles, but I could only find one if Virginia.
In a word, NO. The closest thing to a naval battle that goes on down here is the use of launches to drop off landing parties, unless you count Key West where people shoot at you from private yachts and anything else that will float. There is something mildly cost prohibitive in building an authentic 19th century vessel, and folks who refuse to even spend a few bucks for quality uniforms and accoutrements will rarely shell out the necessary funds for a plastic rowboat, let alone a gunboat.

johnnyreb
03-06-2009, 10:34 AM
WOW That would be awesome!!!!

GrumpyDave
03-06-2009, 11:10 AM
There is something mildly cost prohibitive in building an authentic 19th century vessel, and folks who refuse to even spend a few bucks for quality uniforms and accoutrements will rarely shell out the necessary funds for a plastic rowboat, let alone a gunboat.

That's to the point.

sbl
03-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Or they may shell out the $$$ for a boat and say the Heck with the good outfits. I've seen that!

GaWildcat
03-06-2009, 11:38 AM
As close as your gonna get:

http://www.civilwarnavalmuseum.com/exhibits/waterwitch.php

BrooksvilleRaider
03-06-2009, 12:16 PM
I know they are rare, but at least one person does it:

http://www.livinghistoryweekend.com/2002/albemarle.htm

I was wrong though, I believe it's in North Carolina not Virginia. They have a sea battle at the Battle of Plymouth reenactment in Plymouth, NC.

I was just wondering, cause my dad was in the RL Navy (Nuke Operator on the Nimitz.)

FloridaConfederate
03-06-2009, 08:38 PM
If you blow it out naval kit wise..you will be welcomed and loved at Key West..they are awesome to everybody but seem dig "authentics"...

Alot of folks come with ANV / AOT type impresssions which are welcome but it is a nautical themed event.

They are not just yachts but sailing / masted craft with a period vibe.

In April the CSS Waterwitch a functioning replica is being commissioned at Columbus Naval event so that would be cool to do and fire the Brooke rifle w/ 5lbs powder.

CS navy is pretty easy to pull off with basic sewing skills and if you have jean trousers.

Steve Hesson who posts has done a great job and a ton of research with patterns on his naval forum.

CJ Rideout
Tampa, Florida

Ross L. Lamoreaux
03-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Great points Chris. You put together a pretty good CS navy impression in just a few days, and had a lot a fun at Key West to boot. I've been quite sad with the state of naval reenacting in general, and here we are in Florida surrounded by water, but surrounded even more by bad impressions and indifference. I plan on attending the Waterwitch dedication, as I hope many others will do next month. There is an awful lot of history involving the original vessel - a capture by an armed boarding party and a historic reproduction. There is a special place in my heart for that action during the war, as there were several sailors from the CSS Savannah who took part in the operation, many of whom were from Tampa and Hillsborough County, Florida, several of them had fought in the army with the 7th Florida Infantry and were detached to the navy due to their pre-war nautical skills. Give me a ringle jingle if you want to go up Chris!

Pvt.Sam.Dile
03-07-2009, 05:01 AM
Try checking out the site for the CSS Neuse. Sorry I didn't have time to look up and post the link but a foundation has reconstructed a "Full Scale" replica of the CSS Neuse in Kinston, NC.

It is the sister ship to the Ironclad Ram Albemarle and you just cannot get the full impact of how dang big those monsters were untill you see this one!

It'll blow yer socks off matey! ARRRRRRGH!:D

sbl
03-07-2009, 10:56 AM
This is it, right?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3068/2639981602_85ddca2188.jpg

2nd_mi_johnny
03-07-2009, 02:57 PM
I know they're not historically accurate guys, so please forgive me for bringing them up here, but a while ago I found a guy on line that was producing Kits that you could mount to the top of your conventional 15 foot Canoe and with the aplication of a peddal propeller you could affectively go down the river having Paintball Monotor and Virginia battles. Now I know the're not historically acurrate but they ARE neet and I was wondering if any one else had seen that guys web site and if any one had could they please link me to it?

Lt1stNCSS
03-25-2009, 09:40 PM
Well i dont have a place to keep even a canoe so my group just does landing party, Charleston Fleet, but we get our uniforms from Port Columbus, good stuff at a GREAT price

We have been invited to ride the Albemarle, but its kinda far from Central Pa to go to NC, but thier ship is a scaled down version..3/4 scale i think..

as far as the CSS neuse, i heard they were gonna build a model of it..doesnt really make sense though since it was burned before being completed so the union army wouldnt get a hold of it..i dont think it ever hit the water

If anyone is in Pa, NJ, MD or NY and watch to do CS navy give me a shout at rowanart@yahoo.com

Ross L. Lamoreaux
03-25-2009, 10:43 PM
I don't mean to knock the wares from Port Columbus (The National Civil War Naval Museum), since the museum is such an excellent repository of nautical history from both sides of the war, but navy impressionists can do much better than the clothing they sell. After extensive research and viewing original clothing in several museums and collections, Port Columbus's Pakistani import goods are far from correct in material, pattern, and worse yet, often comes sewn with monofilmant line and has plactic buttons. We owe it to ourselves and to the public we intend to educate to have better clothing than import blanket wool with plastic buttons. With quality vendors out there like Steve Hesson or Joe Blunt, and other individuals handy with research and a needle, with reasonable prices for correctly made attire, there is no need to wear junk. Just an observation from the naval peanut gallery.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
03-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Hallo!

It is probably beyond the memory of most, and fuzzy in mine over the years, but...

Once Upon a Time there was an attempt/drive to build a "repro" of the river ironclad CSS Arkansas as an "aluminumclad' with a diesel engine. Once built it was going to be used for "living history" and presentations along the river towns to raise operating monies.

I think the project died a funding death.

CHS