PDA

View Full Version : Trenchard Society Bogus or not?

Jim Dedman
07-31-2006, 11:41 AM
I read some time ago about this Trenchard Society and had begun to think they were an internet joke. I have seen a lot of concern in the Federal Army about what they might do at Perryville, etc. and frankly thought much was being made about nothing.

However, this last weekend at Merrialville, Indiana, the Trenchard Society struck. Sometime about 4 am (at a time when the rules of the event forbid a picket being posted) a member of this Society released one of my horses from his picket pin by undoing his halter.

No harm was done this time but I think this kind of unsafe behavior highly inappropriate. I hope that in future this Trenchard Society will confirm their attacks to leaving a card or other token and respect the rules of the event.

Jim Dedman

FWL
07-31-2006, 02:18 PM
it was them. I thought their mission was "non violent". I think releasing a horse from a line is a potentially dangerous act. However I'm not a horse guy.

regards

Frank Lilley

AZReenactor
07-31-2006, 02:40 PM
However, this last weekend at Merrialville, Indiana, the Trenchard Society struck. Sometime about 4 am (at a time when the rules of the event forbid a picket being posted) a member of this Society released one of my horses from his picket pin by undoing his halter.

What kind of event prohibits the posting of pickets? What is the logic of such a "rule"? We always try to maintain an around the clock picket for "horse watch". At events with a number of unfamiliar horses picketted in unusual surroundings, it is much more than just a good idea.

tenfed1861
07-31-2006, 02:44 PM
So,are they some type of animal rights society or something?Even though I myself am liberal,I find most animal rights groups alittle too much of themselves.A horse weights over 1000 pounds.We're hats,or at most a backpack,to them.Animals should,yes,be treated humanily.If someone is beating a horse or kicking a dog,I say throw them out of the event and report them to animal control.Byt animals DON'T HAVE RIGHTS!!!A dog will eat it's own poo,and my cats seem to,for no reason,put their butts in my face after going.They don't care about politics.They don't need to vote.Treat your animals humanily.Take care of them,but come on.They say reenacting is harmful to the animals,but we have 6yo kids runnig around the fields.No protesting there.
Cullen

AZReenactor
07-31-2006, 03:40 PM
So,are they some type of animal rights society or something?

This topic has been discussed previously. Click here to read more. (http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=665)

Trimmings
07-31-2006, 03:50 PM
a member of this Society released one of my horses from his picket pin by undoing his halter.

Take a gander at the laws in that state regarding the willful and malicious release of livestock, and you may have found cause for an arrest warrant. The only thing predictable about a horse is that they are unpredictable, and if these criminals (that is what they are) continue to put humans and horses in harm's way, then there is only one acceptable course of action. If my daughter or granddaughter had their mounts treated in this fashion, this old man would not be pleased. A horse set loose in an unfamiliar environment is an accident waiting to happen.

Sorry to be Chicken Little, but preventable accidents are the saddest of all.

Ray Prosten

bob 125th nysvi
07-31-2006, 08:29 PM
to the accusation that the coward Asa had anything to do with it. What makes you think that?

That's a pretty stiff charge for someone to make without proof. That's the kind of thing that gets people permenantly banded from events.

It could have been almost anybody. We had an incident on the farm where someone came on the property turned the mares and foals loose and then put a gelding in a field with a stallion and some mares. We later found out that some local "do gooder" had decided that the local horses weren't being treated properly and she was going through the neighborhood feeding 'hungry' horses. The state police had to have TWO conversations with her to get her to knock it off.

The horse could have also gotten himself loose or the halter might not have been properly secured (done it on occassion myself).

So while I agree Asa made a fool out of himself on this board in his defense how do you know it was him?

Bob Sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance, NY

FWL
07-31-2006, 09:30 PM
So while I agree Asa made a fool out of himself on this board in his defense how do you know it was him?

Bob Sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance, NY

I already asked that question Bob, no answer. I don't see that kind of thing coming from Asa. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my instinct.

Frank Lilley

reb64
07-31-2006, 10:19 PM
do like we did in Korea to prevent the "slicky boys" from stealing our stuff, use a fast whip like cane to administer a arse smack, or back slap as they ran through camp. send the jerks howling.

tompritchett
07-31-2006, 11:20 PM
I find most animal rights groups alittle too much of themselves.

P.E.T.A. - People Eating Tasty Animals.

White Horse
07-31-2006, 11:39 PM
A word of warning, we DO post a guard, and anyone caught mucking around our picket line will leave TWO balls not one!

Jim Dedman
08-01-2006, 09:30 AM
Two questions have been asked about this incident.

1. Was the halter really fastened? Yes. This horse could slip a halter, but when I put him back on the halter was unfastened. It had been fastened since put on him Friday afternoon when we arrived and this was early Sunday morning.

2. What evidence do you have it was the Trenchard Society or Asa Trenchard?

None that is was Asa and none that it was a particular person - if I had a name and specific identity I would not be just talking about this on this board.

I identified the Trenchard Society based upon their posting.
1. They said they had vast secret numbers everywhere in the federal ranks.
2. They decried the lack of pickets running all night.
3. They left a calling card.
4. This is the kind of thing suggested by Asa Trenchard.
5. In the night the horse loosed looked like the Colonel's mount.

If it is NOT the Trenchard Society who did this, does it not raise an even more interesting seriers of questions: WHO DID it and WHY did they want it to look like the Trenchard Society? Can anyone join the society, or is their a specific membership list? Who has the right to act on behalf of the society? How are we supposed to know which acts like this are the official work of the Trenchard Society and which are the acts of copy-cats?

The stated rules at Perryville set hours for pickets and there is a definate period of time in the night when pickets will not be allowed. I suspect all of the clandestine activities of the Trenchard Society will occur during this time period.

But, I do not think we should change what we do based on the words or actions of Asa Trenchard or his ilk.

Jim Dedman

bob 125th nysvi
08-01-2006, 07:25 PM
take anything Asa said at face value especial when he speaks of large numbers.

Remember the guys in the locker room who claimed how many girls they had in HS. Asa's level of crediablity is several notches below that.

So while I recognize the seriousness of the situation owning horses myself I still think you are left with a mystery instead of a suspect and sad as it is to say maybe your unit needs to implement some rules to prevent a future such situation. Such as posting a picket regardless of what the organizers might think.

Bob Sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance, NY

MStuart
08-01-2006, 07:32 PM
If I remember correctly ol' Asa promised no violence or property destruction. This would definately qualify (if intentional) as potential property destruction. I'm not defending the guy or his alleged minions, but is there a possibility this is just Asa-phobia?

Mark

jda3rd
08-02-2006, 07:30 PM
What is the "Trenchard Society" and what is the mission statement? I have not heard of this before. Any information will be appreciated.

Frank Brower

tompritchett
08-02-2006, 09:22 PM
What is the "Trenchard Society" and what is the mission statement? I have not heard of this before. Any information will be appreciated.

Frank Brower

http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=665&highlight=trenchard+society

tompritchett
08-02-2006, 09:23 PM

Frank Brower
http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=665&highlight=trenchard+society

jda3rd
08-04-2006, 08:16 PM
Someone with too much ego, and too much time, and not enough discipline.
Frank

AZReenactor
08-07-2006, 09:18 AM
The stated rules at Perryville set hours for pickets and there is a definate period of time in the night when pickets will not be allowed. I suspect all of the clandestine activities of the Trenchard Society will occur during this time period.

Having stood horse guard on numerous occasions, I still say that it is an asinine notion to prohibit pickets at night. What could possibly be the logic? It is both inauthentic and unsafe.

I checked the Perryville site (http://www.perryvillereenactment.org/pv-rules.php) and couldn't find any rules regarding pickets, was this just something someone decided to make into a rule arbitrarily at the event?

Rob Weaver
08-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Although I am an infantryman, and not a cavalryman (anymore - unless you count the years I rode herd on 52-ton steel steeds), I believe posting a watch on valuable property like horses is good common sense. Your watch doesn't need to be armed in the period sense. In fact, that could make for messy legal proceedings should there be an incident. However, a cell phone to call 911 and a suitable noisemaker to alert the camp would be more than adequate. Your watch should be obvious in its presense, and prehaps a 2-man team so that you have an automatic witness. What you want to do is prevent a real-world valdalism and theft, not create a real-world case of deadly assault. Just a few thoughts.

RJSamp
08-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Having stood horse guard on numerous occasions, I still say that it is an asinine notion to prohibit pickets at night. What could possibly be the logic? It is both inauthentic and unsafe.

I checked the Perryville site (http://www.perryvillereenactment.org/pv-rules.php) and couldn't find any rules regarding pickets, was this just something someone decided to make into a rule arbitrarily at the event?

We had a horse picket at Perryville 2002 and will have one at P2006. Seperate pickets for staff horses is another matter entirely.