PDA

View Full Version : Any Gettysburg movie Veteran?

sbl
02-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Please help me answer an "expert."

Were the the Little Round Top scenes shot in the fall?

billtyrell
02-28-2009, 04:22 PM
The scene of Chamberlain's charge etc. was shot the last week of September. We had to do a lot of retakes for C.Thomas Howell's line "I would like you to meet this fine gentleman from Alabama"

Dave Ward
116th Pa. Co. I

sbl
02-28-2009, 05:08 PM
Thank you Dave! A man on another forum spotted the breath coming out of several actor's mouths in "July."

BTW, my wife's GGG Grandfather, Mathew Murrey, was a veteran of the 116th Pa.

dehight
02-28-2009, 05:44 PM
A man on another forum spotted the breath coming out of several actor's mouths in "July."

Nothing can be as bad as the campfire scene in Glory :D :D :D :D

3rd_PA_Artillery
02-28-2009, 06:06 PM
I was obviously not in the filming of "Gettysburg," but I do have a story about the Chamberlain's charge scenes.

My history teacher, Mr. Shoop, had an ancestor who fought at Gettysburg with an artillery unit. Mr. Shoop still has the sword that his ancestor used in the battle. Back when they were filming Gettysburg, a friend of his was going to be an extra and asked if he could use the sword. So, Mr. Shoop loans him the sword for the filming. This guy ends up being an extra in the Little Round Top scene. During the filming, they lost Jeff Daniels' prop sword and couldn't get another one, so Mr. Shoop's friend lets Daniels use the sword for the charge scene. Mr. Shoop still has that sword today.

Thad Gallagher
02-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Was there for 4 days while and participated in the Chamberlin's charge scene. I don't remember when exactly, but I do believe it was fall and chilly in the a.m. when we moved from the camp area to the set.

Jim Mayo
03-01-2009, 03:04 PM
I don't remember it being cold enough to see your breath by the time shooting started. However, as many times as we ran up that hill there was some heavy duty panting going on.

buryme@evergreen
03-01-2009, 09:18 PM
I could be wrong but I thought in some parts of the movie there were leaves on trees turning to fall colors.

Jim Mayo
03-01-2009, 09:41 PM
I could be wrong but I thought in some parts of the movie there were leaves on trees turning to fall colors.

Here is a picture of Capt. iron pants Harris and my son during a lunch break on the hill. Leaves still look green enough to pass for summer on a movie screen. Wish we could upload files a little bigger than 39K but you can see the leaves well enough.

sbl
03-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I didn't go to the filming because I thought I was too old and too "large." A couple of guys from the 5th NHV are in several scenes in several different uniforms.

double_quick
03-03-2009, 01:09 AM
You can see Kilrains breath as he tells Col. Chamberlain his final words

Regular3
03-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Was there for 4 days while and participated in the Chamberlin's charge scene. I don't remember when exactly, but I do believe it was fall and chilly in the a.m. when we moved from the camp area to the set.My son and I were in those scenes as well, and I can tell you the approximate dates: September 15-19, 1992. And as others have said, it was a bit chilly in the morning but I don't recall any actual filming going on before it got warm enough for foggy breath to dissipate.

(How do I know the dates? Because on the way home I listened to West Virginia come back to beat Maryland in football) ;)