PDA

View Full Version : sz46 & 48 C. depots USA made/ fhw jean low asking$

reb64
07-29-2006, 04:48 PM
As in the past when great jean was available from FHW and I was able to offer high quality handsewn jackets for less than others, I was able to secure a small lot of FHW medium grey jean w/white warp to make jackets for my pards for Perryville. There is some left over yardage so I can make a few jackets, complete with handsewn outers and buttonholes, indigo blue wool cuffs and collars and buttons of choice I or eagles or not buttons for less, lining of choice between osnaburg or homespun and muslin sleeves, internal pockets. These are great jackets, have [passed all inspections I or others wore them too. asking 95 shipped w/out buttons, 105 with, 2 weeks to deliver from time of payment, send for pictures hayhurst@cox.net

ewtaylor
07-29-2006, 08:33 PM
I thought (correct me if I'm wrong) CD jackets weren't issued to Bragg's men until AFTER the Kentucky campaign??
ew taylor

reb64
08-04-2006, 07:55 PM
Some had them earlier.

reb64
08-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Well the date of the CD appearrance is more allusive than i was told, if not correct for this event, the jackets will be fine for later ones and I will stand corrected and make adjustments/wear other for our trip. However, I have read some were wearing them as of sept 62 and may have been some at Shiloh.

Doug Cooper
08-05-2006, 06:39 AM
The info on the first issue of the jacket we call the Columbus Depot jacket today is not conclusive. It was likely first issued to Earl Van Dorn's troops in late October 1862 for the Jefferson Davis inspection visit (based on a description of the goods), according to Lee White and Tom Arliskas, two of the most learned researchers of CS militaria. The first known surviving Columbus Depot jacket, according to the landmark study by Geoff Waldron on the surviving jackets (see http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/1864/cd/cdjacket.htm, is likely the Woodward jacket, and it MAY have been issued as part of the uniforms issued to the Kentucky Orphan brigade in September 1862 (the first mention of jacket instead of coat, but without a description of color or trim). Woodward deserted Nov 14, 1862 and may have worn the jacket home. As Geoff says the Weller jacket (2nd KY Orphan Brigade) used to be thought of as the earliest surviving original (Shiloh) but since it lacks any damage from the terrible shoulder wound he received there, that has been discounted.

The Orphan Brigade was not at Perryville of course, so there goes that possible connection. We do know that Bragg's men received clothing after the Kentucky campaign and that may have included the CD jackets.

As was said below, because the Columbus Depot jacket was an oft issued AoT garment from late 62 to 65, and meets the NSA guidelines, they are being allowed at Perryville.

reb64
08-14-2006, 09:20 PM
Maybe more or different items in the future.

HighPrvt
08-30-2006, 09:53 AM
I just recieved a CD from Robert. These are very nicely done, and the material is absolutely beautiful. Lots of handwork on the inside, as well as the topstitching, and button holes. It is also sized well. I'll be wearing mine to Prelude to Chickamauga, as well as many Living Histories at Chickamauga NBP.
Thanks again Robert.

lee1863
09-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Roberts workmanship is very very nice! And His material is very good also, I highly reccomend him. Thanks Robert.