PDA

View Full Version : ER Squibb tin / bottle

Fooroo
02-26-2009, 01:07 AM
Gentlemen, I just received the latest updated Squibb pannier from Charlie's Boatworks. All of the improvements that you folks suggested have been incorporated. However, the 52 differing slots for bottles/tins are smaller than most of my tins/bottles. I believe I have authentic bottles/tins of the time period, but not necessarily for the Squibb pannier. Does anyone know the exact sizes of the tins for the pannier that I should be looking out for? Does anyone have copies of the correct labels?
Respectfully,
Fuji
21st Ohio Inf

cwmed
02-27-2009, 01:20 PM
Dear Sir,

I own an original pannier with 17 of the original tins still present please e-mail me at lukejcs@gmail.com and I can provide some photos. As for bottles the only bottles in the pannier were civilian medicines however there labels are that of the civil war and are dated apropriately. They may have been added post war or sometime when military meds ran short. They also housed some equiptment as well mine still retains the original plaster bandaging material in the labled container. once agian it would be my pleasure to help you in any way possible.

Luke Castleberry

funhistory
03-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Gentlemen,

For several years, I've been studying the life, profesional work, and products of Dr. Edward R. Squibb.

During the process, I made contact with Bristol-Meyers Squibb, the pharmaceutical firm that was begun by E.R. I received from the corporate archivist a b & w photo of a nearly complete pannier that was once exhibited at the corporate headquarters; however, the photo is dark and lacks sufficient detail to create reproduction labels. In addition, I also received a full-scale photocopy of the large label that was mounted on the interior of the pannier lid. Because I knew that Squibb was a dedicated diarist and one to scrapbook samples of his printed materials, I'd asked specific questions about Squibb's products and packaging during the Civil War. As a result, I also received copies of original bottle labels and illustrations of two large bottles, but these wouldn't have been used for products in the pannier.

Through a combination of additional research, inspiration from the material that I received from the Squibb archives, and on-line images of extant Squibb containers, using Word and CW fonts, I've created a set of Squibb pannier bottle labels that as a museum professional I believe would pass muster under close scrutiny. If you'd like to discuss the labels and my research further, please feel free to e-mail me at museum3@msn.com.

gwagner
03-02-2009, 11:35 PM
I have an orginal Squibbs compound tincture of Opium bottle.

It is from Max Samson, a pharmacist in NO.

charliesboatworks
03-04-2009, 10:59 PM
do you have a photo?

gwagner
03-06-2009, 07:37 AM
and send it to you.

funhistory
03-07-2009, 12:50 AM
Gentlemen,

Can you share the photo with the rest of us, please?

charliesboatworks
03-07-2009, 02:05 PM
thanks Galen and Jon