PDA

View Full Version : A Round of Applause . . .

NoahBriggs
02-21-2009, 08:08 PM
. . . for our own Jon Austin here on this discussion forum, for appearing in one of the History Channel's few responsibly-researched documentaries: Stealing Lincoln's Body.

Congratulations!!

funhistory
02-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks Noah,

Too often we labor in the field in the interest of getting history "right" for the audience never knowing whether they really care about "truth", or whether those who do care recognize and value the effort. So, the acknolwedgment of one's peers is especially appreciated.

"Stealing Lincoln's Body" was an expensive investment for The History Channel, and I'm told that the premier drew an estimated 1,075,000 viewers, which exceeded THC expectations. This may translate into more Lincoln and Civil war-era programming in the future. My inclusion among the eminent Lincoln scholars Harold Holzer and Michael Burlingame is humbling indeed. "Stealing Lincoln's Body" will continue to air throughout the Lincoln Bicentennial year, and it will appear in dvd some time in May, I'm told.

You all might also want to watch National Geographic TV's "Explorer" for an episode titled "Italy's Mystery Mummies". It's not Civil War but includes yours truly demonstrating embalming ca. 1910 and staging a home funeral ca. 1920.

Again, many thanks.

Jas. Cox
03-17-2009, 10:37 PM
Congratulations!

(There is a character length minimum for messages? That's not normally a problem for this group!)