PDA

View Full Version : One more detail about the 1st Bull Run event

Jubilo
07-28-2006, 08:18 AM
I thought this might be of interest especially to any one who has ever served in the actual military , R.O.T.C. , or military schools .
Although Cedar Creek and the 1st Bull Run event has often been derided as a "farb fest " , when I arrived and fell in with the 3rd Regulars , the first thing they did was have me polish all of my brass ! The **** you say ! This was quite a task for a Westerner . If polishing brass ain't army , I'd like to know what is .
all for the old flag,
David Corbett

Frenchie
07-28-2006, 08:21 AM
Jubilo: Welcome to the Army of the Potomac! :D

Wave to my bros in Co. D! :cool:

Altecfive
07-28-2006, 09:26 AM
Nice, I havent heard that in re-enacting expect on like remembrance day and so forth. I hated shinning buttons!! When I was in the Army Band attached to Valley Forge Military Academy we would have to delacker(sp?) the buttons. This would take hours, even with cheating by catching the buttons on fire with lighter fluid and a match. But, wow do the buttons look a whole lot better then shinned then buttons which have lacker on them.

frankstevanus
07-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Just wanted to see what my new signature looked like. Had to see it!

tenfed1861
07-28-2006, 12:17 PM
David,I guess westerners think alike.I have never polished my buttons or brass for any event.I guess westerners just don't do that.
Cullen

AZReenactor
07-28-2006, 12:57 PM
Out here in the Far West polishing buttons with vinegar and wood ash prior to Sunday inspection is a fairly common occurance for us. But then Col. Carleton is kind of a stickler for that sort of thing. He even makes us drill with full packs on .

"One of our Fort Yuma men died, and unfortunately went to ****.
He wasn't there one day before he telegraphed for his blankets."

- Squibob

Kimmel
07-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Sadly, my buttons must stay black. No nice shinny buttons for me :-(

zouavecampaigner
07-28-2006, 08:36 PM
David,
this event was the first time I was ever pointed out for not having my brass polished, and I thought it was annoyingly cool. All of the campaigners in the Fire Zouaves rushed to the firepit right after inspection and went to work polishing those puppy paws!

Shaun

Trimmings
07-31-2006, 08:25 AM
Polishing brass and blackening leathers is a very military experience. It is good reenactors have these first time experiences, and then pass them along to the next generation.

Ray Prosten