PDA

View Full Version : tent info

bgent
02-15-2009, 08:34 AM
I purchased my wall tent and they recogmend using a 2x2 with 2x4 for the ridge so my question is weight becomes a broblem for now until i can get my van so can I use 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 pressure treated lumber for both the ridge and up rights and bear in mind I will splint two pieces for the ridge at 10 1/2 ft the tent base is 8.5x 10 height of 7
anyone out there used this before ? pressure treated is alot stronger then regular pine (not 2x2) I really dont think weight is a huge problem the tent is about 23 lbs; all approx. and thats distributed eventually when i get steady help in errecting the tent and have a van Ill go to oak but for now at least this season I plan to go with the above pressure treated stuff so am I about to be OK or headed for disaster ?

lastly down the road I will get a second wall tent to use as a field hosp ward does anyone know is there such a thing as size restrictions at events as i plan to take up approx 9x36 ft total they always keep the hosp units separate from the rest .

"Doc" Nelson
02-15-2009, 11:03 AM
lastly down the road I will get a second wall tent to use as a field hosp ward does anyone know is there such a thing as size restrictions at events as i plan to take up approx 9x36 ft total they always keep the hosp units separate from the rest .
Bill,
The only thing I would recommend is, to check the websites of a particular event you're looking to attend, to see if they have restrictions posted. The majority of the events have websites and, post their "rules/standards" on there. If all else fails, contact the event staff and ask them.

As for size, I would recommend The Army Surgeon's Manual, page 23, section 1335, for US Army Regulations relating to the Medical Corps tent usage. But, that's me.

NoahBriggs
02-15-2009, 11:11 AM
You might not like some of the answers I'm about to give, but I give them in the general idea of accuracy.

I can't speak for the sizes and dimensions of the lumber, but I would not recommend pressure-treated as that type of lumber was not available. I'd also recommend using a plane to shave the top of your ridgepole to a curve, the better to fit the ridgeline of your tent so the ordinarily sharp edges don't wear on the canvas.

If you plan to get another tent to use as a ward you might as well invest in a proper ward tent. They tend to run big, which is the whole point, since they are supposed to house patients. A typical ward tent should hold about eight bunks with a side table and leave a center lane of about two and a half feet. The ridgepole will be bigger, of course, and the main poles that hold up the ridgepole should be cut to an octagonal shape with metal caps on the top as well as the usual metal spike thingy that goes in the hole on the ridgepole. The metal caps, of course will need to be custom done if you cannot find them on the regular tin market. A good detail to add would be to paint both poles a black-and-white barber pole pattern (proto OSHA safety stripes, if you will).

Yup, that's going to cost lots of money. But if you are going to do it, you might as well make the investment to do it right the first time. I've written before and I'll write it again so it can get ignored again - It's more expensive to buy mediocre stuff to satisfy the instant gratification desire, then upgrade as you discover newer research, than to wait and invest in the better researched, better quality stuff down the road.

I have never heard of size restrictions for tentage at an event. If anything, I see lots of space available, mostly from groups who said they were coming but never showed. Most hospital adjuncts set up either on the periphery of their units' campsite, or set up in the "hospital dumping grounds" (so named because the organizers have no idea where to stash the "Civil War Medicine" guys). Larger events that *gasp* bother to plan for hospital units (sort of) will have them set up in their own section some distance away.

If you want an idea of how hospital units set up at events and the space they take up then attend the annual Society of Civil War Surgeons annual pow-wow camporee at Gettysburg.

You could save lots of money in the first place by not investing in all that tentage - I usually work out of an historic building and bum crash space from someone's tent fly. There's always at least one tent fly (improperly) set up as a "front porch" as opposed to set up over the tent like it's supposed to, and it's almost always unoccupied. Then again, I always travel light with my stuff, because I hang out as the Columbia Rifles' unofficial assistant surgeon "groupie" and travel campaign style with them on their marches and displays.

Whatever you choose to do bonne chance and maybe we might run into each other in the field on the rare occasion I put on a uniform anymore.

retter
02-15-2009, 12:43 PM
I would stay away from 2x2 for the ridge pole. Especially with a joint in the center they tend to sag. When I used a wall tent in the field I started with 2x2 cause they were easier to handle. Even tightly joined together after about 12 hrs they would have a noticable sag. And if it rains and the tent gets a good soaking... I switched to 2x4 and havent had a problem. Most of the time now if I use a tent it's a 7' common tent with 2x2 ridge and 1x1 uprights. I can erect and break it down by myself.

bgent
02-15-2009, 03:42 PM
thanks Noah yea i agree on the availability of the area I also have along with the tents 2---- 9x16 tarps so i just might use them since my money tree withered away. unless u want to adopt me THEN "Hey dad can i have $695./"

I planned to paint the poles anyway and was going to do it in flat white didnt know about the stripe. But in your estimation till I can get my van and get the oak-------just wondering if the 1 1/2 will hold up its not a long term thing
I had planed to shave the pole sides (round them over) since i have an elec plainer its a piece of cake Id rather bump into a rounded then a sharp edge anyday the top of the ridge will recieve a 1 1/2 half round for cap I had thought about the fraying and that should take care of it the cap piece is taken from a scrap piece of oak that i routered over and will bond to the ridge pole the oak and pressure treated is free and it dont get any cheeper then that. But besides the money right now weight is the problem and since im semi handicaped off and on the car errected and taken down its a problem for me
It would be nice if u have help but i tend to arrive way before anyone I hate traffic and i hate to rely on people that never show up anyway or lolly-gaggle the day away. Im sure we can all appreciate that
I also have at my disposal my ex g/f's dad who is a lumber jack in VT so all i have to do is travel there to pick up the trees all with the bark off and cut to size so it doesent get any more authentic then that but to do that i need my truck - hope to have my equiped van near the end of the summer. Once i have the trees ill put my old boy scout skills a working if my memory is .

bgent
02-15-2009, 04:06 PM
I guess i should have gone with a sibly only 1 pole

NoahBriggs
02-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Im sure we can all appreciate that

We sure can. :)

NoahBriggs
02-15-2009, 05:44 PM
And a Sibley has one center pole and about a dozen smaller poles to hold up the side.

bgent
02-17-2009, 12:05 PM
so I went to see a Guy at a site where they were putting up new houses . At night the local PD, here doubles as security on the site at nite. He had some oak planking that some idiot cut 1 inch too short so he riped me a piece of 10 ftX 6" X 2"X 1" price free WOW !!! so ill use that as my ridge pole on the tent. Tomorrow ill take it to a local HS where a shop teacher will take a router to it to round the top over. This should last me well .

Jas. Cox
02-18-2009, 09:36 PM
I recently purchased a wedge or "A" tent as I am covering pre 1840's - Western. I find the whole pole/ridge question interesting. We recently had major ice storms in the Midwest and I have salvaged a couple of relatively straight branches/trees of hopefully sufficient length. I'm pretty sure one is long enough for the ridge hand hopefully another will be long enough for one of the poles. I still need another one and then have to figure out how to connect them all. Rope perhaps? Wood pegs? Ah, questions.

bgent
02-19-2009, 02:32 PM
rope use ur boy scout knowledge i think i do have a site on rope tying if u need it a saplying or yearling with a fork would be a great pole piece
get two crest and lash the ridge and ur good to go i did notice they did errect em on the outside of the tent in most cases

My wall tent has sufficent double reenforced loops at the bottom as well a s a foot of floor barrier that i can place a tarp ground cloth over it

in severe weather well i think no matter what u use u run the risk unless u bury it and place a hard roof over hey isnt that a house ??