PDA

View Full Version : Uniform Question

Redcoat Surgeon
02-13-2009, 03:49 PM
It has been sometime since I've been on the message board; dealing with Grad School, unemployment and my wife is expecting twins in August.

On a lighter note, I have a question about the surgeons' uniforms during the Civil War. I have been reading and I know that they wore a green sash about the waist in contrast to an officer's crimson sash. What i am trying to discover is wear did that regulation come from or how did it develop? I know that officers wore crimson sashes since the French & Indian War.

Thanks,
John Ferrannini

Marc
02-13-2009, 07:13 PM
It has been sometime since I've been on the message board; dealing with Grad School, unemployment and my wife is expecting twins in August.

On a lighter note, I have a question about the surgeons' uniforms during the Civil War. I have been reading and I know that they wore a green sash about the waist in contrast to an officer's crimson sash. What i am trying to discover is wear did that regulation come from or how did it develop? I know that officers wore crimson sashes since the French & Indian War.

Thanks,
John Ferrannini

Without looking it up I would guess the Army Regulations.

Marc
02-13-2009, 07:18 PM
From the 1861 Army Regulations

SASH
1504. For General Officers-buff, silk net, with silk bullion fringe ends; sash to go twice around the waist, and to tie behind the left hip, pendent part not to extend more than eighteen inches below the tie.

1505. For Officers of the Adjutant-General's, Inspector-General's, Quartermaster's and Subsistence Departments, Corps of Engineers, Topographical Engineers, Ordnance, Artillery, Infantry and the Judge Advocate of the Army- crimson silk net;

for Officers of the Medical Department-medium or emerald green silk net, with silk bullion fringe ends; to go around the waist and tie as for General Officers.

hta1970
02-13-2009, 07:25 PM
From The Institute of Heraldry:

Green was prescribed as the first Medical Department color in 1847 when the sash for Medical Officers was described. The green was established in the insignia of the Hospital Stewards uniform on 31 October 1851 and in 1857 the green was piped with yellow and the pompon was topped with medium or emerald green. Later the pompon was green piped with white until 1902 when the maroon color was adopted. In 1903, the Hospital Corps chevrons were maroon piped with white. Maroon and white were established for all branches of the Medical Department by the uniform specifications dated October 1916.

bgent
02-13-2009, 10:26 PM
I wonder if there is a site that can show you the proper way to tie it or is it a just a single knot

NoahBriggs
02-13-2009, 11:43 PM
I'll bet a good search on Google (specifically "Images") will generate a good example on how to wrap and tie a sash, assuming you even feel the need to wear one.

bgent
02-13-2009, 11:44 PM
eventually ill purchase dress wear--- hense the need to wear and i already tried a general search came up with none appropiate

bgent
02-14-2009, 02:40 AM
And by the way John -off subject I pray all is fine and well be fine with your expecting babies