PDA

View Full Version : Sword Question???

Mongo40
07-26-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm wanting to pick up a couple of swords and all I can seem to find is these cheesy looking imports, I'd like to know who makes the most realistic looking swords out there, I'm primarily looking for a copy of a Boyle & Gamble and foot officers sword, I've been looking online for awhile but its hard to tell the quality from a pic and the ones I've found in stores just look like cheap overseas imports. If anyone knows of a link or where I might look I'd appreciate it. Thanks
Chris

anv57regnc
07-26-2006, 02:36 PM
It is best to go out to a sutler and look. I know the Regt Quartermaster has some really good ones. But they come at a price. I would say for the sword you are looking for, you might pay about $125 to $200.

Mongo40
07-26-2006, 02:43 PM
I don't expect them to be cheap, your prices are around what I was expecting, still much cheaper than buying an original. I'd like to personally look at some but not sure where to go, I noticed there is a store Listed thats in Winchester, VA, there pics look like they are quality made, might drive over there this weekend and take a look. I'm currently working in Herndon, VA. so if you know of one of these Sutler stores anywhere near me let me know. Thanks

Mongo40
07-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Come on fellas, all you re-enactors out there an noone can tell me who makes really good quality repros??????

tompritchett
07-27-2006, 11:19 AM
You may want to use the search function on the Authentic Campaigner's forum. Unfortunately, all of the posts from our past two versions of this board have not been included in the searchable database.

TJ Bartel
07-29-2006, 02:15 PM
Try Legendary Arms, they're out of New Jersey, they make decent repro swords.

VaTrooper
07-29-2006, 02:32 PM
My sabre came from Fair Oaks Sutler and has seen 40 or so events and is still holding up great. Its was $110 I think.

Jim Mayo
07-29-2006, 02:50 PM
Come on fellas, all you re-enactors out there an noone can tell me who makes really good quality repros??????

In my opinion....nobody.

The only good repos I have seen were the fakes being passed off for originals back in the 80s.

Mongo40
07-29-2006, 08:15 PM
I spoke with the guy that runs Winchester Sutler, he says he has some really good repro that are made by the same company that makes the Marine NCO sword, I'm going to go look at them and see how they look in person first. Thanks guys.

Doug Cooper
07-30-2006, 10:12 AM

That's just it, nobody makes good quality repro's of US or CS made swords anymore - really. Big Mick on e-bay can sometimes find some better ones. If you want an import English or German sword, which were certainly represented, check out The Discriminating General here: http://www.militaryheritage.com/swords.htm

They are pretty close. If you buy an Indian produced repro be prepared to send it here to be defarbed: http://www.cds1.net/~nardi/swords/

skamikaze
07-30-2006, 06:23 PM
i dont know if they still have them, but the place that used to be Servant & Co. in gettysburg hs those Ames (?) swords. im not 100% on the name but the company was around during the 1860's and still makes swords out of the same casts. they are pricey as all **** (i think i saw an artillery saber for like $400 or so) but im guessing they are pretty correct.

haven't been in that store in a while and things were kind of downhill last time l went in so i dont know if they are still carrying ames, if thats what the name is.

VaTrooper
07-31-2006, 11:26 AM
The sword I got from Fair Oaks is a Ames and was $110.

gzook
08-06-2006, 01:38 PM
A little over 7 years ago I bought what I thought was going to be a reproduction M1850 sword from Crazy Crow's in Denison, Texas ( http://www.crazycrow.com/index.php ). Since I live about 60 miles from them I just drove up and purchased the sword. Now I also have a resale tax permit from the State of Texas so I was sold the sword at "wholesale" cost (just under $100 with metal scaboard).

The sword was wrapped in oil paper when they brought it out to me so I just unwrapped the top and did a quick "look" at the sword. It looked fine, just a "bit" oily (like "dripping" with oil) and a very slight "hint" of what might possibly be rust that wiped off. They wrapped the sword in a large plastic bag and I put it in the trunk of my automobile.

When I got it home I removed the paper and examined the sword very carefully. Instead of being a reproduction it was an original. Now it dated from well after the Civil War, but it definitely was of higher quality than most reproductions.

This being 7 years later I don't know if they have any of these "originals" still in stock. However, I don't know how many swords that they really sell in a year so there "might" be a chance that they still have some originals around. I know that the M1850 is still on their list of available items. Having even an original post war M1850 is going to be better than just about any reproduction made.

Glen

RebelCapt
08-06-2006, 08:29 PM
bigmic45 militria on ebay has some nice stuff. I personnaly can't speak for each and every model in his inventory. I did in fact pick up a repro from him. I got the w.j McElroy confederate cavalry saber. It's is simply the nicest repro of any kind I have seen in over 12 years in the hobby. It's balanced and light as a feather. Absoultley no import markings. I am very pleased with this particular piece.

gzook
08-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Don't know what I was thinking when I posted the scabboard information about the M-1850 that I got from Crazy Crow's. It is leather, not metal! Has the metal trim at the appropriate places, but it is definitely leather and NOT metal!

Glen

Altecfive
08-14-2006, 08:13 AM
I bought my sword 1998 from Fall Creek Sutler and it is an awesome quailty and still is going strong and thats with, ididng mounted officer and line officer. Including the wonderful stunt when I was crossing a fence and the sword caught in the fence and I fell, looked like a great death though.