PDA

View Full Version : hss

CommandPost
02-18-2006, 12:52 AM
hdsd d

MStuart
02-18-2006, 01:20 AM
Joe:

IMHO paintball and the ACW just don't mix. Although I'll admit that I'm under-informed about paintball, from what I've seen of it on the tube and from friends, nothing about it could relate to the war as we study and reenact it. From the gear to tactics, nothing about it relates one iota to the battle tactics of that era or anything else for that matter.

On a side note, we have some folks here who would probably look on what you propose with a bit (or a lot) of disdain. What some of us try to do in reenacting the era, the battle is just one part. To reduce what we try to recreate into a paintball battle or competition is what I would expect the lowest reaches of authenticity in our hobby to be up for.

I would hope that no one serious about the history, lifestyle, or soldiers of the era would think for one minute about participating. It's farbiness at best, and sacrilege at worst.

One man's opinion

Mark

CommandPost
02-18-2006, 02:41 AM
fddf

Jeffrey Cohen
02-18-2006, 08:22 AM
It Might be interesting to see what kind of rounds we could shoot out of the cannon.

Rogue Malone
02-18-2006, 09:36 AM
You know, if you were to replace some of the words, I'd think that would sound like something Deese would have written.

CommandPost
02-18-2006, 09:39 AM
gf

MDConfederate
02-18-2006, 09:54 AM
I guess I just don't get the point of playing paintball Civil War style. I play paintball quite a bit. Paintballs break on twigs and small things that minie balls would usually rip through. Paintballs travel at about 300 FPS compaired to a minie ball at 1100 FPS. This means paintball markers are less accurate and have significantly reduced range compared to Civil War muskets. Plus, you can see paintballs hook to the left, right, up, and down as the ball flies through the air. Sure some balls out of some markers with the right hardwear travel more straight than others, but it's still not a realistic experience.

If you looking at doing this for fun. I suggested it once to my paintball friends who are not reenactors, and they looked at me like I was nuts. I thought about it and realized paintball Civil War style will get boring really fast. We would probably try it once, realize it was no fun, and go right back to normal paintball activities. Then you would have to worry about managing a large group of people who are going to actually fire projectiles at other people. As an organizer you would have to worry about the possibility of someone getting hurt and the legal ramifications. I would not waste my time. If your looking for a more tactically authentic experience, I would try a Recon style event.

By the way, for Jeff Cohen - I have seen paintball lauching howitzers for about $3000, so it is possible to have paintball artillery. They can be hauled around the battlefield using an ATV. I think I read that each round fires like a gallon of paint and has the potential to take about about 10 players in one blast. Now that might be fun. I'd even be willing to be on the receiving end to entertain others. I've heard of paintball mortors and RPG's. I have a paintball claymore style mine, but it's lame. The paintball grenades could be better to.

John A. Wyman
Harford Riflemen

CommandPost
02-18-2006, 10:42 AM
well i guess i have what i needed. I wont lie i am not in full understanding of what u guys do and its apparent noone understands my aspect either. as i saw in another thread bashing my post, i guess i wont ever know how the reenactment community will ever work. and now i can see why its so hard to understand.

So Mods can you please delete this topic and delete my member Name from the list. noone will have to worrie about this again.

sorry guys.

The event is cancled.

and now its a dead issue.

later

FWL
02-18-2006, 11:01 AM
I don't think this is the forum for this. I would suggest a paintball forum and get some CW reenactors to advise you on CW tactics. However, I recommend you do not call your event a reenactment. Call it a paint ball event using elements of CW tactics. Labels can be important to retain your credibility.

If you wish to understand what some of the more historically minded reenactment units do I suggest you join a historically minded unit for a day in your area (they have loaner gear). Then I think you will be more likelly to understand what we do.

Good luck and it never hurts to ask a question

CommandPost
02-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the advice. Thats all i was looking for.

FWL
02-18-2006, 04:51 PM
So you are from Wilkes-Barre, I see. There are some fine units in that area. In fact a fine fellow, Bill Watson, got me going in authentic reeanacting, is an editor of a paper in that area.

I don't want to get into it but just briefly; the idea of ACW tactics was to mass a large group of men in one location with single fire muskets and bring to bear a large mass of bullets (delievered by anywhere from 500 to 3000 men) on an enemy target. Modern machine guns and paint ball guns deliver a rapid shots so the men can move about behind trees and deliver a large mass of bullets on the enemy with less men than a single fire weapon.

A veteran CW soldier could load and refire about 3 bullets in 60 sec. So to deliver 300 paint balls in one minute assuming you use CW rules (3 paintballs/min) you would need 100 men. If you were restricted to formula what kind of tactics would you use? Hint it does not involve hiding behind trees. I don't really know anything about paint ball. But it does not seem like this would be your cup of tea.