PDA

View Full Version : Packaging Pins, Sponges, Etc.

Fooroo
02-02-2009, 11:26 PM
Gentlemen, I have read many of your posts regarding pins and sponges, but how does one actually fold paper to package these items authentically for the pannier/knapsack?
Dave Furukawa, Hospital Steward, 21st OVI

NoahBriggs
02-03-2009, 09:45 AM
IIRC sponges were wrapped in brown paper, a dozen a packet, with the packet folded in the usual manner. I should take a picture of my interpretation; haven't done so. My interpretation was based on an original packet in Dammam's Encyclopedia.

Can't answer on the pins. I think pins were inserted through a length of paper and the paper was rolled up. After that, I don't know. Don't quote me as fact unless we find some sort of documentation. Ideally you should use brass pins, but unless you stumble across an original cache then you'll need to make do with regular metal. Family Heirloom Weavers used to sell repop brass pins before they shifted to bulk cloth manufacture for carpets.

Elaine Kessinger
02-03-2009, 10:27 AM
if your pins are like the strait pins we use in sewing (I think they are)... I saw them pinned to a strip of cardsock paper and rolled into a cylinder with one medical kit at MOC.. (maybe Harry has the reference, he has the medical catalogue). It was common to pack large quantities of pins in such a manner coming from the pin factory as pins were begining to be sold by the number of pins instead of weight.

Hopefully Helpful-

Spinster
02-04-2009, 12:47 AM
96 District Storehouse sells brass pins.

96 District Storehouse
111 Trinity St.
Abbeville, SC 29620
864-366-9600

Elaine Kessinger
02-04-2009, 09:23 AM
Edited to add: Harry checked his catalogue and can't find what I'm talking about. Sorry. I could be remembering incorrectly or remembering pins used for something else entirely. Please do try to find futher documentation before relying on my faulty memory. :)
-Not as helpful as I'd hoped-

funhistory
02-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Friends,

I purchased a 100 gram box of brass straight pins from D. J. Hornsby, a family-owned shop, located in Canterbury, England, for what amounted to about $14.00 shipped. Their primary focus is on lacemaking supplies and equipment, but when I found that another US vendor sold pins in a small quantity, I imagined that I could do better. I found the Hornsby firm's web site on the Internet. They accepted charge cards, and within a week, the pins were delivered to my door. They also sell blued steel (black) straight pins for mourning use. The pins I bought are size 2.25 and measure 26 mm x 0.65 mm. They are made by Bohin, a French company that was producing straight pins during the CW era.

bgent
02-04-2009, 07:24 PM
nice find
I wonder how they found stuff on the internet during the civil war
without Google

sorry ignore me having a silly fit today or mabe its an insantity melt down

NoahBriggs
02-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Catalogues.