PDA

View Full Version : Brother William's War

bill watson
07-26-2006, 06:11 AM
Just wanted to mention that my book, "Brother William's War," is now available through Amazon.

Since publication late in December, it has generated enough sales to produce somewhere between $600 and $700 in donations to historic preservation -- net after my publishing expenses are more or less met. It's a moving target, because the process of selling keeps generating expenses and I haven't sat down to net it out. But my "deal with myself" was that all the proceeds from this book, after expenses, would go to historic preservation. There's a long-range non-money benefit for me: Decent sales numbers will mean publishers pay better attention when I bring them the next manuscript.

The book is about a fellow who is pretty much shamed into joining the 6th South Carolina Volunteer Infantry in April 1861, and his transformation over four years from nerdy bank clerk into a savvy, veteran soldier. It is based on real people and real events -- like Patrick O'Brian, I took battle accounts from the ORs and postwar essays. Truth remains stranger and more interesting than fiction.

Since the money is going to preservation, I have little reluctance in flogging the thing mercilessly. Please go have a look, please buy it, please come back to Amazon and leave a review.

I'll post an annual accounting of how much money the book raised, and where the money went , annually. So far it has gone to the Chester County (SC) Historic Society and to the Shenandoah 62 fundraising effort to preserve battlefield land around Cross Keys and Port Republic.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0977489205/sr=8-1/qid=1153911307/ref=sr_1_1/002-9168903-5249615?ie=UTF8

It is also available through my website, and if you wish to see what some of your fellow reenactors thought of the book, you can go there. www.brokenlanceenterprises.com