PDA

View Full Version : 145th Antietam and South Mountain Press Release

Wild Rover
07-25-2006, 08:23 AM
Gents and Ladies,

Here is the official press release-

145th Reenactment of South Mountain & Antietam Announced

July 24, 2006 - For Immediate Release

The Western Maryland Heritage Foundation (WMHF) will be hosting to Official 145th Anniversary Reenactment of the Battles of South Mountain and Antietam during the weekend of September 7-9, 2007 in Boonsboro, MD. Sponsored, in part, by the Washington County Convention and Visitor's Bureau (CVB), the event, September Storm - The War Comes to Maryland, will recreate portions of the historically significant battles of South Mountain and Antietam. Thousands of reenactors and visitors are expected to commemorate this anniversary.

"Remembering our history and heritage is important, and the CVB is very pleased to be involved in the planning and financial support of this 145th Anniversary event. We think that the anniversary reenactments will not only be successful, but will achieve positive awareness of the Maryland Civil War Campaign of 1862," said Tom Riford, President of the Convention and Visitors Bureau. South Mountain Battlefield State Park was Maryland's FIRST battlefield state park, and includes several national historic monuments and markers. Antietam is known as the "bloodiest single day in American history," and the battlefield is known as America's most pristine battlefield park.

Together, the WMHF, the CVB and the South Mountain State Battlefield plan historically accurate battlefield depictions that will serve to educate the public while honoring the veterans who served so bravely during that tumultuous time in our Nation's past. “Focusing on high quality programming will insure we accurately depict the sacrifices made on our behalf.” Chris Anders, Chairman of WMHF wrote. “Too often we forget just what our forefather did to preserve the liberties we enjoy today, and our children will enjoy tomorrow.”

By commemorating both Battle of South Mountain AND the more famous Battle of Antietam, the event will show a broader view of Maryland's role in the American Civil War. “For years, the significance of the Battle of South Mountain has been overshadowed by the larger and more well-known Battle of Antietam, but more and more people are starting to recognize that this battle was the turning point of the Maryland Campaign.” Said Al Preston, Assistant Manager of the South Mountain State Battlefield. There is a new awareness for the Battles of South Mountain (fought Sept. 14, 1862), and Antietam (September 17, 1862) as the real "High Tide of the Confederacy." Over 29,000 Americans fell as casualties of these actions.

Other commemorative events will take place at South Mountain State Battlefield on Friday, September 7th, leading up to the Reenactment on the 8th and 9th.

This is an all-volunteer effort, with all proceeds going to the preservation and interpretation of the South Mountain State Battlefield. WMHF has hosted many events in the past, including the “Summer of ‘62” Reenactment last year, and the 140th Anniversary Reenactment of Monocacy in 2004.

The Western Maryland Heritage Foundation is headquartered in historic Boonsboro, Maryland and can be reached at www.wmhf.org or 301-432-0103. Further updates will be available at www.marylandmemories.com.

Kimmel
07-25-2006, 08:28 AM
Will they be reenacting the Cornfield action. I've heard stories about the 140th (or 135th) Antietam where they woke up a 3:00 am and started fighting at 5 through the cornfield. Will they be doing this again, or are the details still to sketchy to say?

Wild Rover
07-25-2006, 09:19 AM
Brian,

Kevin Air and I are working on the scenarios, and as soon as they are finalized we will announce them.

Pards,

Historicaly Correct
07-27-2006, 04:10 PM
Hello there.......
Thanks for the update and please keep informed. I have been to Antietam and would like to reenact in that battle scenario. I am a CSA Artillerist and with the artillery battle there, well enough said.......
HC

Tigerrebjim
07-27-2006, 11:02 PM
Is there going to be a limitation as to the number of participants at this event?
JIM Tee

Mich8th
07-28-2006, 09:24 AM
Good Day,
I am sure that you will see the 2nd Wis. there as I am sure that our associaton is already informed. We had a great time at the summer of 62 and toured both South Mt. and Antietam prior to the event. I will also inform my superiors right now so we can make arangements for this to be our National this comming year. I am excited to actually be on the battlefield where we got our name of the Iron Brigade.

Anders
07-29-2006, 05:19 PM
Gents,

First of all it will be great seeing the Western Boys again, and we will have a special program at the Park on the Iron Brigade Field Friday...I am hoping you all make it a three day event, as the park service has some real interest in taking you all to the exact spot on the field were the boys attacked.

Second- Artillery, Cavalry and Cs Infantry are by organizational invitation. This is to insure good force ratios, and a good 2-1 Federal advantage.

I get tired of seeing the Maryland Campaign fought 4 to 1 Reb over Yank. So we have looking for 600-800 total CS participants, and a 2000 total participant (shooters not civilians) limit. This is so we can show good action, and not packing troops in on top of each other. Too often we lose the ebb and flow due to to high a number of troops packed on too small a field.

We are looking for top shelf participants, and while not a campaign event, it will mimic Summer of 62 and To the Gates of Washington with high expectations of those in attendance.

Scenarios are being finalized as I type, and more information on them will be out soon.

Pards,

Kimmel
07-29-2006, 08:27 PM
Sounds like its gonna be a top- notch event

texfed1554
07-29-2006, 08:52 PM
im looking forward to it

Kimmel
07-29-2006, 10:49 PM
At least profits are going to the South Mountain Battlefield and not into some big business man's pocket.

szango
08-15-2006, 09:35 PM
I was at the 135th, and it was amazing! This one will DEFINITELY bring me back out. I havent been to an event in 10 years or so. I cant wait! :D

VaTrooper
08-15-2006, 11:43 PM
Chris let us know when you figure out the senario part for the cavalry. The big thing that bugged my about SO62 was the event coordinators yelling back and forth on radios while 95% of the time the CS Cav was sitting around watching when we could have been used as couriers.

Grits
08-16-2006, 01:15 PM
Will there be activities for civilian reenactors?

Beth
a.k.a Grits

Anders
08-16-2006, 08:35 PM
Beth,

There will be a civilian coordinator, and I have offered that job and am waiting on a reply.

I am sure there will be plenty of authentic civilian activities.

William, as to not using cavalry as couriers, in each of the scenarios mounted folks had a specific job, and I never saw them once sent to accomplish the mission, which they did very well.

Personally using radios to talk between the two sides is transparent compared to sending a mounted courier which all will see.

Better stage play, IMHO.

Pards,

VaTrooper
08-16-2006, 08:49 PM
My memory kinda sucks so let me think......There were 3 senarios. The 2nd one, Saturday afternoon I think, there were no Cavalry at the actual battle so I understand not letting us join. But for orders from one confederate commander to the next couriers would have been nice.

Anders
08-18-2006, 08:47 AM
It owuldhave worked better, but since the batle happend at cusk and went into the dark even staff went on foot and "Jackson" left early....there was a funny tail of some of the staff riding with Jackson through those dark trails hearing gunfire all over and thinking, "thank goodness this is not May 1863"

frankstevanus
08-20-2006, 09:54 AM
Using two way radios instead of cavalry for couriers? At what is being billed as an "authentic event"????
...And they ask me 'why I drink?'...
Chris: What happened to you man? Did you fall off that mountain when you were checking it out for this event?
I am going to have to have Chuck-A-Luck sit you down and have a good talk with you.
Looks like we found a good man to coordinate Gettysburg next year, though!!
Just kidding. I know you are good people. But I wish you WOULD reconsider!!!

Beth,

There will be a civilian coordinator, and I have offered that job and am waiting on a reply.

I am sure there will be plenty of authentic civilian activities.

William, as to not using cavalry as couriers, in each of the scenarios mounted folks had a specific job, and I never saw them once sent to accomplish the mission, which they did very well.

Personally using radios to talk between the two sides is transparent compared to sending a mounted courier which all will see.

Better stage play, IMHO.

Pards,

Anders
08-20-2006, 12:54 PM
It is according your point of view. For Kevin and I, it woul be more authentic not to work with each other, and just attack each other, but since we both are dedicated to giving the public and participants the best historical "show" we can, we comprimise our personal "authenticity" to achieve it for others.

Having a talking haversack is not fun.... though monitoring the conversations as we work to get scenarios that have wandered back on track must be. LOL.

However having some great couriers for intra-force communication is a must..volunteering?

Greedysburg? Nah. Gettysburg, probably.

Pards,

frankstevanus
08-20-2006, 01:03 PM
Just kidding with you, Chris. I know from Jerusalem Mills how tough it is to run an event. My hats off to you, sir!
Glad to help out any way I can. You know that!
As long as I can bring my horse and, of course, my dog!!
Going now to hang with Chuck (Chuck-A-Luck) Kibler now. I'll tell him you said "hey!"

Corse's Lieut
09-12-2006, 08:50 AM
It will be interesting to see how you will limit CS registration to 600-800 for a major anniversary event without upsetting many people. Have you given thought to how this will be accomplished? Will you invite units that portray those units that actually fought on South Mountain and at Sharpsburg?

As you may know, the 17th Virginia was on South Mountain and at Burnside Bridge. Colonel Corse was wounded, captured and escaped within the same hour. Heavy losses found only a few hands full of men still fighting at the end of the day.

I'm looking forward to getting details on the event.

Kevin Hagberg
1st Lieut Fenton Henderson, 17th Virginia Infantry

Anders
09-12-2006, 09:56 AM
Kevin,

You asked-

"It will be interesting to see how you will limit CS registration to 600-800 for a major anniversary event without upsetting many people. Have you given thought to how this will be accomplished?"

Well, let me answer that for you. People are going to be upset, but there is nothing that can be done to change that. Units that have supported the WMHF events in the past, as well as "sister" events are the first invited to participate as CS. Once those numbers have been calculated, we will extend invitations to other units if additional CS numbers are required.

We MUST stick to good solid and historical force ratios or else we will compromise the entire program.

BTW- the web site will be up shortly at www.wmhf.org

We highly encourage those not able to attend in gray to support the event in blue.

Pards,

jademonkey
09-12-2006, 09:00 PM
We highly encourage those not able to attend in gray to support the event in blue.

Pards,[/QUOTE]

Chris,

Way to go. This event is going to be great-I've got a real positive feeling about it. Any notion on what specific Federal units will be portrayed, so people might start preparing their impressions well in advance. I know, it's early, but I always filled-out my Christmas list in September. Keep up the good work. Thanks, Garrett

Anders
09-13-2006, 07:55 AM
As to Federal Units portrayed, we are looking at several different actions right now, and they include-

Fox's Gap (Ohio Boys and Michigan)

Frostown RD ( hey bucktails!)

Cobb's Legion Last Stand at Crampton's Gap (Vermont Boys)

Iron Brigade at Sharpsburg

Details to come in a bit.

Pards,

Corse's Lieut
09-20-2006, 08:33 AM
Thanks for your response.

penn-state-engr
09-20-2006, 11:37 AM
I've seen that there is another 145th event planned. Which is the one to attend ? I am a supporter of battlefield preservation and would want the proceeds to benefit this function. Also , does anyone know if a reenactment of Fredericksburg is going to take place this year ? Thank you all !!!

MStuart
09-20-2006, 01:31 PM
Chris' event is in conjunction/cooperation with (for lack of a better phrase) the W.M.H.F. The other event is being held on private land near Harpers Ferry, W.V. Both, I understand, will limit participation to approximately 2000.

Web sites are: www.wmhf.org
http://emmitsburg.net/antietam_2007

Mark

Anders
09-20-2006, 07:10 PM
I cannot speak for any other event, but the Official 145th is backed by the South Mountain State Battlefiled, the Washington County Visitors Bureau and Convention Center, the Friends of South Mountain State Battlefield, hosted my the WMHF with all procceeds going to preservation and interpretation with the Antietam National Battlefield offering to help publicize the event as well.

If that helps at all...

Pards,

flattop32355
09-26-2006, 04:07 PM
As to Federal Units portrayed, we are looking at several different actions right now, and they include-

Fox's Gap (Ohio Boys and Michigan)

I'll vote for that one. It would be nice to do one where the 30th actually fought, even if it's not the actual ground.

Anders
09-26-2006, 05:30 PM
That one is a definate, finalizing the others.

Pards,