PDA

View Full Version : live fire

bgent
01-25-2009, 08:15 AM
Does anyone here either live fire or know someone that does a 58 cal and or a 44 cal riffle and pistol round/s (I could use 2 of each) if possible will pay for all inconviences. All I have seen for sale is is dug bullets from the conflict or non fired ones. I could use some for my impression. Thanks in advance.

agrnbrt
01-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Pm sent Sir

MAryland Field Hospital
01-27-2009, 02:22 PM
some thing i did that really is an eye catcher for living histories is a shot bone . We bought a pig bone from the Pets mart and shot it. then glued it back together to show the damage that a bullet would do. We then affixed it to a stand with the used bullet and a fresh one in front to show the deformity of the round after it passed through bone . people really seem to like it alot .i also put a mirror on the bottom and one on the back so they can get the full view with out touching

bgent
01-27-2009, 10:34 PM
good idea cept im in the city now sniffffffff the ups guys might not like the idea of shipping a pig bone thats semi-fresh

NoahBriggs
01-28-2009, 12:17 AM
Vivid descriptions are less expensive, less complicated and can be modified faster for different groups, depending on the group's size and composition.

With the real vets out there on artificial limbs, do we really want to show shattered pig bones and fake blood to the public?

Not starting a flame war, just summarizing the American Journal of Common Sense.

NoahBriggs
01-28-2009, 12:32 AM
Another suggestion:

Locate, photocopy and display the images of actual ballistic trauma from the era. Like Coca Cola, it's hard to beat the real thing. Easier to transport, lightweight, and won't stink up the van or wig out UPS.

bgent
01-28-2009, 06:43 AM
i simplty wanted to sim removal of a bullet. I already have drawn,pictires of bone damage and how and why the the bullets expanded. With all the stuff i have to bring im simply trying to cut down

Marc
01-28-2009, 10:19 AM
Vivid descriptions are less expensive, less complicated and can be modified faster for different groups, depending on the group's size and composition.

With the real vets out there on artificial limbs, do we really want to show shattered pig bones and fake blood to the public?

Not starting a flame war, just summarizing the American Journal of Common Sense.

Noah,

You and I have always agreed on this issue. The vivid descriptions IMHO are better. We show the instruments and describe the procedure etc etc...

"Doc" Nelson
01-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Another suggestion:

Locate, photocopy and display the images of actual ballistic trauma from the era. Like Coca Cola, it's hard to beat the real thing. Easier to transport, lightweight, and won't stink up the van or wig out UPS.

Gordon Dammann has some photos in his 3 book series. Also, there are plenty of photos online. You can photocopy those and bring them out.

But the vivid descriptions are much, much better.

MAryland Field Hospital
01-30-2009, 11:15 PM
its a dog bone product , its clean from the pet store , no meat nice and bleached . i have had Vets who love all the medical stuff i do , and i have had a lot of people who really like the bone its not something they say they have seen often so i suppose there are more out there . I got the idea after visiting the National Museum of Health and Medicine in DC . The ballistic damage exhibit was always crowded, you had a hard time to get a look, and yes there were many amputees there . I dont want the spectators to think it was glorious to be a surgeon and that a gun shot didnt do much damange . i always get asked what damage they did then i get out the bone. if i would have some one who got upset for some reason i would take it down till they left .I'm not in the business of pissing people off :p . I did the vivid description for a while but found that an actual limb, bone etc grabs more attention and the spectators pay a little more attention .. to each his own though :). I do have charts with the photos too ...but i need to make new ones mine met the fate of a leaky shed :(

i had my lungs transplanted and maybe im a little sick but i would have loved to see what they looked like ,the empty cavity, the heart sack and how they worked with what was left etc. Guess im just a medicine nerd :P

bgent
02-03-2009, 07:55 PM
personally i dont think what gets any vet or police officer jumpy (seeing damaged limbs) its hearing the sudden reports from the guns. Being both it still gets my heart racing. Gore you get hardened to even if its your own. Its the nature of your job but gunshots never.

NoahBriggs
02-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Yeah, I jump at gunshots and cannons . . . yikes.

bgent
02-04-2009, 11:29 AM
I personally dont think i'll ever get used to it . Good to know im not alone big guy

Jas. Cox
02-06-2009, 06:59 PM
I much rather see a visual display of something than a hear a "vivid description." I'm not say gobs of fake blood and limbs, but to see what a Miniť ball actually does to a bone and why it had to be amputated is much better than a description or even a photo. Maybe because I am such a visual person, but I find museums and displays with only images to be very boring as do I think most children. If I had a human skull to display I would do that in a heartbeat over a photo of one or try to describe an elephants leg to another blind person. Otherwise, why make medicine replicas, show instruments? Seeing a scalpel might make someone nervous. Just be PC and describe it in detail.

If, however, one wants images, one of the best places to search is The Library of Congress. They have many high resolution images from the civil war (and other eras) available for free download. I have downloaded some wound shots from there. These are files that could easly and clearly be printed poster size.

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/pp/pphome.html

And I just for an example of a bone shot with a Miniť ball, I ran across this:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.nlm.nih.gov/visibleproofs/media/detailed/ii_a_116a.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.nlm.nih.gov/visibleproofs/galleries/exhibition/body_image_25.html&usg=__Eo7gjTjTrXtrJRgbz1iTAkQ8dHw=&h=797&w=1200&sz=75&hl=en&start=4&um=1&tbnid=zdgpkuM1YS1nUM:&tbnh=100&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dminie%2Bball%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26cli ent%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DX

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/visibleproofs/media/detailed/ii_a_116a.jpg

johnerys
02-12-2009, 06:23 AM
Maryland,
Is this your display? I took this at an Ohio event, it was a very sobering experience first time I saw it. I spoke to an orderly in the same area who told a spectator there that he was a nurse in real life, and even with all our technology we still couldn't repair the damage from a minie ball, and amputation would be the only recourse.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j9/72_duster_318/5th%20texas/surgical3.jpg