PDA

View Full Version : Last Full Measure

Kimmel
02-17-2006, 11:29 PM
Has anyone heard about the 3rd movie in the Gods and Generals/ Gettysburg series? I believe it was call the Last Full Measure. Anyone know if it is even still coming out?

Forquer
02-18-2006, 12:12 AM
Sir -

Given that GAG (isn't it a coincidence how THAT acronym worked out?) tanked at the box office, and given that Ted Turner didn't amass his pile of cash by making too many stupid investments, it's probably a pretty fair guess that Last Full Measure won't be made.

Not to mention that a competent director would have to recast virtually every role since the actors who did the primary characters in Gettysburg have now aged 15 years.

Kimmel
02-18-2006, 01:01 AM
Sir -

Given that GAG (isn't it a coincidence how THAT acronym worked out?)

Quite True :D

I had heard about The Last Full Measure, but then it just dissapeared. I kind of figured it wouldn't be made (judging by how long it's been), but I thought possibly that they were taking their time with it. Thank You

Mikevpd
02-19-2006, 09:15 PM
That is a real shame. I was looking forward to seeing Stephen Lang portray John Gordon. :)

Bromhead
04-13-2006, 08:27 PM
I checked IMDb.(Internet Movie data base) According to the site the Last Full Measure is 'In development' for a release in 2007.

Now ,more detail was available to members of the site...but I am not a member.

Maybe it is reason to hope...Gods and Generals was awful,I thought,but Gettysburg is that rare movie that gets better every time it is watched. THAT movie deserves a superb companion..and lets hope "they" pull it off.

nyczouave
04-13-2006, 11:26 PM
The "Last Full MEasure" you saw on IMDB is unrealted to to the Shara books,
This is what it is about"
Thirty-three years after his death, during one of the bloodiest days of the Vietnam War, Air Force Pararescue Jumper William H. Pitsenbarger is awarded the Medal of Honor after fellow veterans of Operation Abilene get Congress to reconsider the legacy of his sacrifice. From a true story."

As I understand it, after GAG tanked (and Ted lost his shirt) he sold all his interests in Turner films and got quickly out of the filmmaking business. Then he got sued over usage rights for the NPS movie clip they included on the original "Gettysburg" DVD.

There is no plan for a third installment.

And there was much rejoicing....

Bromhead
04-14-2006, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the correction. Maybe that will be a good movie.

I'm looking forward to Eastwood's Flags of our Fathers..due in August. I understand that there are two movies...one from USA point of view...the other from the Japanese point of view...and I guess one is to be released in August..and the other later.

8thILCavalry
05-27-2006, 10:36 PM
I think Tom Hanks and Spielberg should make the last one. And make it like Saving Private Ryan. Not like a reenactment.

Button Whizzer
05-29-2006, 09:01 AM
Not to mention that a competent director would have to recast virtually every role since the actors who did the primary characters in Gettysburg have now aged 15 years.

A "competent director" certainly would have improved the first two flops. Let us hope there is no third movie.

Brandon

buck508
05-29-2006, 10:32 PM
Im with you,,lets just hope we have seen the final end to the re-enactor driven movie. Gettsyburg wasnt too bad,,,for a TV movie...once you got passed the beards. And GAG was near slow torture to watch. There is a reason why man invented the word EDIT.

ElizabethClark
05-30-2006, 08:19 AM
I don't usually whine about "man movies..." but in the case of GaG, there wasn't enough plot to distract me from the terrible costuming, and we never did make it to the second half.

Cpt_Invictus
05-31-2006, 10:05 AM
Sorry to bring this old post back to the fore but... I liked Gods and Generals.... *cringes* No, really, and I liked the first movie gettysburg as well. I was actuelly going to ask which movie was more "farby" than the other. In gettysburg every one in federal at least, seemed to be quite uniform in appearence. In Gods and Generals, they looked different, there grey great coats for example in the federal ranks.

Gods and Generals did have more realistic beards, I will give ya that. ;) But as far as movies go with Napolianic tactics, they were not too bad in my feeling. But which one was more "uniform correct"? :cool:

celtfiddler
06-22-2006, 03:46 PM
After the horrible directing and writing of GAG, let's hope the powers that be have wised up and declined to proceed with Last Full Measure.

VaTrooper
06-22-2006, 04:06 PM
Id rather see a big movie then some small crapy " no retreat from destinany" movie.

texfed1554
06-23-2006, 12:26 AM
How could you consider no retreat from destiny crappy? i think its better due to the focus of historical accuracy.........

VaTrooper
06-23-2006, 07:15 AM
Theres no median now. Theres hostoricly accurate with bad acting. And theres good acting with little historical accuracy.

mntineer
06-30-2006, 09:22 AM
Sorry to bring this old post back to the fore but... I liked Gods and Generals.... *cringes* No, really, and I liked the first movie gettysburg as well. I was actuelly going to ask which movie was more "farby" than the other. In gettysburg every one in federal at least, seemed to be quite uniform in appearence. In Gods and Generals, they looked different, there grey great coats for example in the federal ranks.

You shouldn't get flamed for liking a movie -- I personally thought that "Gods 'n Generals" wasn't great - although it did have some shining moments. Same can be said of "Wicked Spring" - horrid movie, but the authenticity was top-notch.

My guess is that "The Last Full Measure" will be made eventually, once GaG is somewhat forgotten.

Button Whizzer
07-04-2006, 06:26 PM
I understand that there are two movies...one from USA point of view...the other from the Japanese point of view...and I guess one is to be released in August..and the other later.

I am also looking forward to this release. Either Eastwood will have a huge success on his hands, or it will be the motion picture flop of the decade.

Wicked Spring is okay with the buds over for pizza and a few beers to point out all the goofy stuff going on. I haven't seen the Destiny flick yet.

Brandon

mntineer
07-05-2006, 12:26 PM
I think Tom Hanks and Spielberg should make the last one. And make it like Saving Private Ryan. Not like a reenactment.

Actually Spielberg (and maybe Hanks too) were/are developing a Pacific-based series similar to Band of Brothers, called "The Pacific".

I do think it would be tres neat to see a BoB-like short series based on Company Aytch or a similiar memoir.