PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln 2.0 Inaugural Ball, January 18, 2009

mehrsam
01-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Tooting my own horn here...

Our band, the Susquehanna Travellers, was fortunate to perform with the Victorian Dance Ensemble at the Lincoln 2.0 Inaugural Ball which was held in the National Portrait Gallery on Sunday, January 18, 2009.

We played for an hour in the main level courtyard while the VDE performed several dances of the era and then encouraged onlookers to participate. After that, we moved to the Hall of Presidents on the second floor and performed for a second hour with the VDE.

Attached is a link to the online article in the York (PA) Daily Record, with a video clip. You will see at the end of the clip that we performed the second hour with no amplification or electronics; just played our music while the dancers waltzed in front of Mr. Lincoln. It was a stirring moment for all of us.

http://www.yorkdailyrecord.com/ci_11487389

Spinster
01-21-2009, 12:39 AM
Fabulous!

I'm green with envy. :mrgreen:

celtfiddler
01-21-2009, 07:19 AM
Unfortunately, too many prior commitments.

For those who haven't heard the Susquehanna Travellers--they're fantastic. I heard them for the first time about two years ago at New Market.

Danny
01-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Mark -

Fabulous, and it's great such a crowd was exposed to our genre of music.

It's encouraging that CW-period bands are increasingly more authentic in appearance and style - your band here still uses a more modern style and size of guitar, and fiddle is set up in a more modern way - but the rest of the instruments and playing are close enough for this type of event and a wonderful sound.

Dan Wykes

mehrsam
01-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Danny,

Thanks for your comments. You're right about the guitar and fiddle; I have a fine parlor guitar from the early 1900s that I restored to look as period correct as possible, and I think it would pass even your inspection, but Jim won't cross over to The Dark Side and use it. But I'm working on him. Allen does use a wireless pickup on his fiddle because he is quite animated when he plays.

While our preference is to play with no amplification, that's just not possible for most of our jobs, and unfortunately the mics, mic stands and PA system do tend to ruin the appearance. We are going to switch to Audio-Technica wireless head set mics and small condenser mics for the instruments to eliminate a lot of that anachronistic clutter.

mehrsam
01-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Unfortunately, too many prior commitments.

For those who haven't heard the Susquehanna Travellers--they're fantastic. I heard them for the first time about two years ago at New Market.

Aw shucks, ma'am...thanks.

Danny
01-21-2009, 10:21 PM
...and I think it would pass even your inspection...

Mark -

I'm no authority on the topic. I only bring these things up in this kind of where such detail matters, as it does to you. What I aspire to is to first reach the level of authenticity and musicianship you've shown already.

Dan Wykes

mehrsam
01-22-2009, 06:13 AM
Dan,

That was my hazy attempt at complimenting you; I've read many of your posts and I respect your knowledge of the music we play and the instruments we use. It is fortunate that we musicians can share information so easily through the Internet to improve our levels of authenticity and performance.