PDA

View Full Version : Still There 2009

Greg Deese
01-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Despite a decade of boycotts, ruthless political correctness and hatred from those against SC history, the Soldiers Memorial ANV Battle Flag still flies at the SC State House.

In memory of 20,000 SC soldiers that died during the War Between the States

In commemoration of General Robert E. Lee and all the brave troops of the Army of Northern Virginia that fought for the South..

Pvt Schnapps
01-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Despite a decade of boycotts, ruthless political correctness and hatred from those against SC history, the Soldiers Memorial ANV Battle Flag still flies at the SC State House.

In memory of 20,000 SC soldiers that died during the War Between the States

In commemoration of General Robert E. Lee and all the brave troops of the Army of Northern Virginia that fought for the South..

What's that flag on top of the dome?

sbl
01-19-2009, 05:48 PM
"What's that flag on top of the dome?"

http://www.schospitality.org/associations/1101/files/CHEFDOME.GIF

6th Annual Hospitality Day
at the South Carolina State House

http://www.schospitality.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=334

Che
01-20-2009, 08:51 PM
What's that flag on top of the dome?

The GLORIOUS STARS AND STRIPES!

and

The Palmetto and Out House Cresent Moon flag.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/02Hj3Sb1brgae/610x.jpg

http://southerntango.com/images/tn_sc_flag.png

http://silvercreekhabitat.com/db1/00097/silvercreekhabitat.com/_uimages/009_7outhouse.jpg

Bloated_Corpse
01-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Remind you of anything?

http://www.eredux.com/images/flags/states/SC.gif

http://www.things-turkey.co.uk/images/tc-flag-of-turkey-flag.gif

http://www.travelblog.org/World/flags/tx-lgflag.gif

http://www.mapsofworld.com/images/world-countries-flags/pakistan-flag.gif

tompritchett
01-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Remind you of anything?

Yes, a moon in the sky. Just because several different cultures use the same common symbol does not necessarily make the cultures related. Many ancient cultures and even today Korea use the symbol of the medicine wheel, which was made infamous when the Nazis used it as the swastika, but none of these cultures have much in common with the Nazi beliefs.

Cove Rebel
01-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Remind you of anything?

I would say yes, except that the SC Flag has a gorget which is a symbol of defense and the others have croissants which are a symbol of Pillsbury. :D

SC...the 'other' Carolina. :D

sbl
01-21-2009, 04:54 PM
The Gorget. We talked about that a while back after a comment about "Moonies."

Does the cresent moon/star mean my night sky is a terrorist?

catspjamas
01-22-2009, 12:08 AM
It's still there, but it no longer flies atop the State House.

Joni

hendrickms24
01-22-2009, 11:48 PM
It's still there, but it no longer flies atop the State House.

Joni

The important thing is its not atop the state house. :-D

packrat
02-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Yes it is , and the North Carolina flag flies over they're buildings and so does Mississippi and so does Florida and so on and so on, But I think in most of California the flags are kinda rainbow looking they seem to fly where ever they want oh!snap...... what are you guys driving at I thought this was a serious part of the Forum. IMMHO P.Lopes

hhikker
02-18-2009, 06:29 AM
I'd hate to see anyone run out of paper in that outhouse...the leaves seem to be of the itchy kind...would be a flashback of Longstreet's corps were camped last year in Gettysburg...

http://silvercreekhabitat.com/db1/00097/silvercreekhabitat.com/_uimages/009_7outhouse.jpg

Greg Deese
02-22-2009, 09:44 AM
Yes the "turn coat" legislators that created the 2000 law, that removed the flag from on top of the dome lost their careers and probably won't return to political service in South Carolina. Ask Ex-Governor Beasely about that one.

As to the other uneducated and childish responses, I have a suggestion. Quit reenacting the War Between the States. You are neither fair nor understanding of the sacrifice that we made for our independence. You disrespect our history and heritage and yet claim to be historical reenactors. Bring those same insults you posted here and present them in person at the next event. Let's say Resaca in May. Look me up.

hendrickms24
02-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Yes the "turn coat" legislators that created the 2000 law, that removed the flag from on top of the dome lost their careers and probably won't return to political service in South Carolina. Ask Ex-Governor Beasely about that one.

Sometimes doing the right thing causes you to loss your job! I guess the legislators and Governor did the right thing.

You are neither fair nor understanding of the sacrifice that we made for our independence.

Please you made no sacrifice because this war was fought over 145 years ago. :rolleyes:
The problem I see is the southern people of the early and mid 1900's let the Klan take their symbol of rebellion and turn it into one of HATE! Now you’re complaining that people now view the Battle flag just like most people view the swastika! If Southerners want this symbol not to be view as such they need to change your tactics! Think about that.

Miss L
02-22-2009, 03:13 PM
For a dispassionate look at the fascinating history of the issues surrounding the flag, I recommend “The Confederate Battle Flag: America’s Most Embattled Emblem” by John Coski, from which this is taken:

“It is a fundamental mistake to believe – as Carol Moseley-Braun suggested in her 1993 speech in the U.S. Senate – that one’s own perception of a flag’s meaning is the flag’s ONLY legitimate meaning. Many people believe that the flag is an honorable symbol of heritage, but this does not make the flag an honorable symbol of heritage to everyone. Others have just cause to regard the flag as a symbol of racism, but this does not mean that the flag is a symbol of racism to everyone. People must not impose their interpretation of the flag on others nor project their interpretation of the flag’s meaning onto others’ motives for displaying it. Just because someone views the flag as a symbol of racism does not give him the ethical right to assume that someone who displays it is a racist. To make such a judgment is an exercise in prejudice.”

Pvt Schnapps
02-22-2009, 03:53 PM

As to the other uneducated and childish responses, I have a suggestion. Quit reenacting the War Between the States. You are neither fair nor understanding of the sacrifice that we made for our independence. You disrespect our history and heritage and yet claim to be historical reenactors. Bring those same insults you posted here and present them in person at the next event. Let's say Resaca in May. Look me up.

How exactly can you call someone a "turn coat" for replacing a battle flag with the Stars and Stripes?

And how can you talk about "sacrificing" for "our independence" when, as Mark pointed out, it wasn't you doing the sacrificing, and that "independence" disregarded the fact that the majority of people living in South Carolina in 1860 were black slaves?

Those kinds of rhetorical flourishes just feed negative stereotypes about Confederate reenactors being reactionaries rather than living historians. It certainly doesn't honor any of the real soldiers.

And what is that business about "meet me in Resaca"? If you have some rational argument to make, you can make it here. If you just want to beat on someone for posting an outhouse picture, be careful what you wish for. He might be packing.

In the meantime, you run the risk of just sounding thin-skinned and silly.

skamikaze
02-22-2009, 10:40 PM
You are neither fair nor understanding of the sacrifice that we made for our independence. You disrespect our history and heritage and yet claim to be historical reenactors. Bring those same insults you posted here and present them in person at the next event. Let's say Resaca in May. Look me up.

We? You must be pretty old. You better have a darn good kit when I see you at Resaca, being original and all.

As far as being childish: SCOREBOARD!

Regular3
03-03-2009, 02:28 PM
I would say yes, except that the SC Flag has a gorget which is a symbol of defense and the others have croissants which are a symbol of Pillsbury. :D

SC...the 'other' Carolina. :DWell, you learn something every day ... I lived in Columbia for three years and I always thought it was a crescent moon too. Since it's supposed to be a gorget, shouldn't it be more like a 'U' instead of turned at an angle? After all a gorget is just a miniature breastplate. Gorget (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Washington_1772.jpg)

My enduring memory regarding the battle flag flying over the State House is that in the fall of 1986 a violent storm blew through the city. When it had passed, the Confederate flag was in shreds, while the state and U.S. flags above it were intact. A sign, I called it ...

bob 125th nysvi
03-03-2009, 11:00 PM

about those turncoats they didn't get unelected by the majority of the voters did they? And even when they did their replacements didn't put the flag back up did they?

I suppose the supporters of the losing side in any war always feel that people who don't respect their efforts are "turncoats and traitors".

And funny how supports of the flag only want to remember the 'good and honorable' things that flag stood for and not the bad. You not only are disingenous in your argument about the history but you have an implied threat of physical violence in your retort. I suggest you follow the example of Robert E Lee after the war as opposed to some of the thugs.

Actually we should be thankful that as a nation we are enlightened enough to let that flag flutter at all. Any idea what happens to you in half the countries in Europe if you try to fly a Nazi flag?

bob 125th nysvi
03-03-2009, 11:04 PM
For a dispassionate look at the fascinating history of the issues surrounding the flag, I recommend “The Confederate Battle Flag: America’s Most Embattled Emblem” by John Coski, from which this is taken:

“It is a fundamental mistake to believe – as Carol Moseley-Braun suggested in her 1993 speech in the U.S. Senate – that one’s own perception of a flag’s meaning is the flag’s ONLY legitimate meaning. Many people believe that the flag is an honorable symbol of heritage, but this does not make the flag an honorable symbol of heritage to everyone. Others have just cause to regard the flag as a symbol of racism, but this does not mean that the flag is a symbol of racism to everyone. People must not impose their interpretation of the flag on others nor project their interpretation of the flag’s meaning onto others’ motives for displaying it. Just because someone views the flag as a symbol of racism does not give him the ethical right to assume that someone who displays it is a racist. To make such a judgment is an exercise in prejudice.”

but supporters of the flag take the same onesided view that the detractors take.

Only it is the opposite side.

In truth both good and evil were prepetrated by people under the guise of that flag.

Just as good and evil have been perpetrated under EVERY flag that has ever seen the light of day.

Symbols are neither good nor evil, just the people who follow them can be either good or evil and sometimes both.

Adults realize, accept and learn from those lessons.

Others just push their veiw as the only legitimate view.