PDA

View Full Version : CW Tunes Medley

Company Fiddler
01-17-2009, 02:49 PM
On their CD, Dulcem Melodies, the 2nd SC String Band does a nice medley of Stonewall Jackson's Way & Garry Owen. They also combine Kelton's Reel (Stoney Point) and Waiting for the Federals (Seneca Square Dance) into a nice one.

I play Marching Through Georgia, Year of Jubilo and The Girl I Left Behind as a medley. I also combine the Old Kentucky Home & Hard Times.

How many of you combine CW era tunes into medleys and what tunes are you using?

Silas
01-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Dandy Jim plus Grapevine Jig work well for me. Same goes for Johnny Boker and the Alabama Walkaround. Been working on playing Alabama Joe with the Circus Jig, but I often drop into the Alabama Walkaround accidently when trying to commence the Circus Jig.

Company Fiddler
01-18-2009, 08:24 AM
A couple more pre-war tunes that go well together :

Soldier's Joy & Liberty
Irish Washer Woman & Swallow Tail Jig
Temperance Reel & Flowers of Edenburgh

dculgan
01-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Walk into de Parlor Jig, Keemo Kimo, Brigg's Cornshucking Jig. I like to use the beginning and ending tunes as intro and outro, and sing the verses to the middle one.

I usually start out Jim Along Josey with a few times through of Circus Jig and I usually play and sing Ring De Banjo and Oh! Susanna together, putting Susanna between verses 2 and 3 of Ring De Banjo.

I think I was influenced to do the first two medley's from listening to the Minstrel Banjo album on Rounder, there are some great medleys there. The last one just seemed right since the character of Susanna is introduced in Ring De Banjo though it makes for a long song performance with 8 verses in total.

Dave Culgan
Camptown Shakers

Company Fiddler
01-20-2009, 09:34 AM
I usually play and sing Ring De Banjo and Oh! Susanna together, putting Susanna between verses 2 and 3 of Ring De Banjo.

Yes, I do the same but I also include Camptown Races in the mix.

Danny
01-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Here's from vintage 1863 Root & Cady sheet music "Grand Vocal Medley", songs included:

Tis sweet to be remembered;
No Moses you'll catch it;
So twas she faded as fades the twilight;
We'll rally round the flag, Boys;
Father, dear Father, come home with me now;
A n****r in the fence and a little common sense;
There's a good time coming;
Norun and tell Elijah;
Little Johnny Grayback;
Tis sweet to be remembered;
John Brown's body lies mould'ring in the grave;
Marching through Georgia;
Sleighing with the girls;
For he kissed me when heleft me;
Tramp, tramp, tramp;
Yankee doodle doodle doo

The mystery to me is that being published in 1863, it has "Marching Through Georgia" in it. I get a hard time when I play "Marching Through Georgia" because I'm told "that wasn't even played until the war was almost over" and yet here it is published in an 1863 Medley?

Dan Wykes

reference: Title: "Grand Vocal Medley" arranged from Root & Cady's most popular publications; voice; piano Publication Date: 1863 ; Arranger: Bliss, P. P. (Philip Paul), 1838-1876, Chicago, Illinois, Root & Cady

Danny
01-23-2009, 02:20 PM
The mystery to me is that being published in 1863, it has "Marching Through Georgia" in it... in an 1863 Medley?Dan Wykes

Guess you can't always trust even University cataloging:

http://library.duke.edu/digitalcollections/hasm.b2012/pg.1/

Though listed as an 1863, the image of the cover itself shows 1865 at the bottom, though they could be excused because the font style is stylized. Is this too insignificant to call to their attention? Don't want to be a busy body.

Dan Wykes

fifer32nd
02-12-2009, 03:09 PM
The Girl I Left Behind Me and Waiting for the Federals.