PDA

View Full Version : roundabout jackets

ratboy
07-21-2006, 09:32 PM
hi there folks.
i am looking to either buy (cheaper the better) or make a roundabout jacket preferably with the infantry blu epiping.
does anyone know where i could obtain the patterns to make this?
or if anyone is selling off a 2nd hand/new one with roughly a 38inch chest and about a 29 waist (yeah i know im a skinny and small git but what the hey!!!)

any help would be most gratefully received.

many thanks
rat

HighPrvt
07-22-2006, 04:39 AM
http://www.cjdaley.com/nysjacket3.jpg

Here's a pic of Chris Daley wearing one of his New York jackets, is that what your looking for?
His run $245, you'll not find a cheap one that's worth a ....
or, are you talking about a cut off dress coat, again, cheap one's are junk.

RJSamp
07-22-2006, 08:11 AM
He may be asking about a roundabout.....not a NY State Issue jacket with the Frock Coat collar and the epaulets.....not an Illinois State Issue jacket that's much like the NY State issue jacket but usually has Belt Loops as well.... (two vs 1 epaulet, frock collar vs a folded collar, belt loops vs no belt loops).....not a Wisconsin State Issue jacket (5 button sack coat, frock coat collar, WI State Seal buttons, 3/4 gray flannel lined, muslin lined sleeves).....

David Gerow out of Wisconsin has an exquisitely cut roundabout......no epaulets, no belt loops, not a cut off frock coat, am fairly certain it has no frock coat collar.... if I find a picture of one I'll post it.....

ratboy
07-22-2006, 09:34 PM
Hi There
cheap is good, as im not earning a lot especially not enough for this hobby :D

the jacket in the photo is the right design, but i am looking for one without the belt loops and without the shoulder epaulets. basically a frock coat cuttaway/shell jacket.

thanks for the advise so far

ratboy
07-22-2006, 09:38 PM
something along these lines

http://usera.imagecave.com/rat/Standard_Union_Sack_Coat.jpg

HighPrvt
07-23-2006, 06:10 AM
You might check out Blockade Runner,or Allen's Laurel Hill sutlery.
You could also google up Mountain City Mercantile, "Shack" had some roundabout types last time I was there.

Don't expect great quality from any of these vendors, but they'll hook you for under a C note.

vicka
07-23-2006, 10:25 AM
With the limitations on money you mentioned you might want to look at eBay, Reproduction,Civil War, and put "coat" or "jacket" or even "shell jacket" in the search function and see what comes up. The eBay stuff, like many of the suppliers mentioned above this post, is Pakistani in origin. Not great hand-sewn quality, but cheap and available and not too bad from a distance.
Steve Sullivan

reb64
07-23-2006, 12:00 PM
I must disagree, not everything on ebay is foriegn made. You can find good quality items there now and then.

ratboy
07-23-2006, 02:32 PM
many thanks folks, have found one, just sort some moolah out and sorted.

many thanks again

HighPrvt
07-23-2006, 04:55 PM
I must disagree, not everything on ebay is foriegn made. You can find good quality items there now and then.

Yep, that's a fact.

bob 125th nysvi
07-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Got lots of good useful stuff off of ebay. Some second hand. Usually at reasonable prices.

You just need to do business with people who have good feed back.

Bob Sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance, NY