PDA

View Full Version : Detached Duty or Permanent assignment

Regular DOC
01-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Was a wounded soldier who moved on to a General Hospital on detached duty away from his regiment or was he permanently assigned there. Now I know some soldiers went to a general hospital returned to their regiment after treatment. How did their status work. Any info would be helpful.

NoahBriggs
01-03-2009, 09:09 AM
Temporary detached. Their paperwork in the form of pay and mail needed to follow them, so they could get paid, their mail, and also to account for their (lack) of presence on their company's morning report.

Regular DOC
01-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Thanks Noah.

Regular DOC
01-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Continuing on this line. If we had to discharge them from the Army from a General Hospital would we fill out the paperwork and forward the paperwork to the regiment or request the paperwork from the regiment itself.

Pvt Schnapps
01-06-2009, 08:39 AM
Continuing on this line. If we had to discharge them from the Army from a General Hospital would we fill out the paperwork and forward the paperwork to the regiment or request the paperwork from the regiment itself.

As Noah mentioned above, the soldier's company would have (should have) forwarded his Descriptive List giving essential information that would enable him to receive pay. If you go into the Revised Regs, in the section for the Medical Department, I believe you'll find a paragraph stating that on release the Medical Director certifies the Descriptive List and sends it back to the man's outfit.

The released soldiers were grouped and sent back to the front under guard, via various depots and, in the east, the AOP's camp of distribution in northern Virginia. There they were sent for by corps and then broken out by division, brigade, and regiment.

There's a wonderful description of the process in William Ray's journal entries for September, 1863.

Practices evolved over the course of the war. For example, it seems that early war morning reports counted the sick as "present" (in the pre-war army I suppose they'd be treated at the post where they were assigned). By later in the war there are "sick" columns under both "present" and "absent", the latter including the men in general hospitals. By later in the war there are also columns for POWs.

Procedures for discharging disabled soldiers, transfers to the invalid corps, and deaths are more elaborate and paper-intensive. I highly recommend the 1864 "Manual for Medical Officers of the United States Army", available on Google Books.

Will you be at C. F. Smith Saturday? I can show you some of the paperwork there.

In the meantime, hope this helps.

Pvt Schnapps
01-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Sorry Brian -- I misread your question. To discharge a soldier from the service, you need six papers: one Descriptive List, two certificates of disability, two Final Statements, and a Discharge, all of which is described in excrutiating detail in the Manual cited above (starting on page 163), which also has examples of the forms. There are variations in the regular and volunteer service, and for officers. Enjoy.

plankmaker
01-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Just for a reference, here is Part 1 of the service records of Wm. Zeiders of the 53d PVI (part 1). This is a fairly good example because he served from the beginning and went through most of the different types of things mentioned.

Mark Campbell
Piney Flats, TN

Age 18 years; height 5 feet 9 inches
Complexion Dark
Eyes Grey; hair Dark
Where born Perry Co., Pa.
Occupation Shoemaker

Enlistment.

When Sept. 19, 1861
Where Juniata Co.
By Whom H. S. Dimm; term War
Remarks: Appointed Corpl vice Ramp
Killed in action, Dec. 13, ’63.
Reenlisted as Vet Vol. Feb. 13, ‘64
Missing in action at Spottsylvania Va., May 13, ‘64
Discharged by reason of S ONo. 158 Army Potomac

William A. Zeiders Priv, Co. I, 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf. Appears on Company Muster Roll for Sept 11 to Oct 31 1861. Present or absent not stated

William A. Zeiders Priv, Capt. Dimm’s Co., 53 Reg’t Pa. Inf. Age 18 years. Appears on Company Muster-in Roll of the organization named above. Roll date Harrisburg, Pa, Nov 8, 1861 Muster-in to date Oct 10, 1861

Joined for duty and enrolled: When Sept 19, 1861
Where: Perryville Pa
Period: War

William A. Ziders Priv. Co., I, 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf.Appears on Company Muster Roll
for Nov & Dec, 1861. Present or absent not stated

William A. Zeiders Priv, Co. I, 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf. Appears on Company Muster Roll for Mar & Apr, 1862 Present or absent Present

William A. Zeiders Priv, Co. I, 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf. Appears on Company Muster Roll for May & June, 1862 Present or absent Present

William A. Zeiders Priv, Co. I, 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf. Appears onCompany Muster Roll for July & Aug, 1862 Present or absent Present

William A Zeiders Priv, Co. I, 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf. Appears on Company Muster Roll for Sept & Oct, 1862 Present or absent Present

A.Y.O.1556403.

The furlough in the Case of Wm A. Ziders Co. I, 53 Pa. Vols.,
Dated Camp Parole,
Annapolis, Md., Mch.17, 65, sent to Aud. For W. D. with s. of s., this Day.

McDonald, OEC
Aug 18, 1865

plankmaker
01-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Part 2

William A. Zeiders*Corpl, Co. I, 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf. Appears on Company Muster Roll for Nov. & Dec, 1862 Present or absent Present

Remarks: Promoted to Corporal
Dec 29, 1862, Vice Corporal
Ramp killed in action.

William A. Zeiders Corpl, Co. I, 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf. Appears on Company Muster Roll for Jany & Feby, 1863 Present or absent Present

Remarks: Promoted to Corpl
December 13, 1862, vice
John Ramp Killed in action.

William A. Zeiders Corpl, Co. I, 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf. Appears on Company Muster Roll for Mar & Apl, 1863 Present or absent Present

William A. Ziders Corpl, Co. I, 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf. Appears on Special Muster Roll for April 10 1863 Present or absent Present.

William A. Zeiders Corpl, Co. I, 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf. Appears on Company Muster Roll for May & June, 1863 Present or absent Present

William A. Zeiders Corpl, Co. I, 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf. Appears on Company Muster Roll for July & Aug, 1863 Present or absent Absent

Remarks: Absent on detached Service bringing Conscripts S. O. no 173 H. Qrs 2 Corps

William A. Zeiders Corpl, Co. , 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf. Appears on Detachment Muster Roll
of the organization named above, for July & Aug, 1863 Station Camp Cadwallader, Phila Present or absent Present

Remarks: Detailed by virtue of Special Order no. 173 H. Q 2d Army Corps, July 20, 1863.

William A. Zeiders Corpl, Co. I, 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf. Appears on Company Muster Roll for Sept & Oct, 1863 Present or absent Absent

Remarks: Absent on detached service bringing Conscripts S. O. no. 173 2 Corp

William A. Ziders Corpl, Co. I, 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf. Appears on Detachment Muster Roll
of the organization named above, for Sept & Oct, 1863 Station Camp Cadwallader Present or absent Present

Remarks: Detailed by virtue of Special Order no. 173 H. Qrs 2d Army Corps, July 20, 1863.

William A. Ziders Corpl, Co. , 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf. Appears on Detachment Muster Roll of the organization named above, for Nov & Dec, 1863 Station Camp Cadwallader Present or absent Present

Remarks: Detailed by virtue of Special Order no. 173 H. Qrs 2d Army Corps, July 20, 1863.

William A. Zeiders Corpl, Co. I, 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf. Appears on Company Muster Roll for Jan & Feb, 1864 Present or absent Present

Remarks: Vet. 2 inst Bounty Due $50.00.

William A. Zeiders Corpl, Co. I, 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf. Appears on Company Muster Roll for Mar & Apl, 1864 Present or absent Present

Remarks: Vet. 2 inst Bounty Due him $50.00.

William A. Zeiders Corpl, Co. I, 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf. Appears on Company Muster Roll for May & June, 1864 Present or absent absent

Remarks: Vet. 2 inst of $50.00. bounty due him Absent wounded since May 12 1864.

William A. ZeidersCorpl, Co. I, 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf. Appears on Company Muster Roll for July & Aug, 1864 Present or absent absent

Remarks: Vet. 2 & 3 install of $100.00 bounty due him missing since May 12

William A. Zeiders Corpl, Co. I, 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf. Age 20 years. Appears on a Detachment Muster-out Roll of the organization named above. Roll dated near Stevensburg Va, Feby 12, 1864.
Muster-out date Feby 12, 1864.
Last paid to Dec 31, 1863.

Clothing account:
Due U. S. $ 100/100

Bounty due, $ 100 /100.

Remarks: Discharged by virtue of reenlistment as Veteran Volunteer under the provisions of G. O. No 191 series of 1863 from the War Dept.

William A. Zeiders Corpl, Co. I, 53 Reg’t Pa. Infantry Appears on Muster and Descriptive Roll of Vet. Vol of the organization named above. Roll date near Stevensburg Va, Feb. 20, 1864

Where born Perry Co., Penn.
Age 20 y’rs; occupation Shoemaker.
When enlisted Feb. 13, 1864
Where enlisted Stevensburg, Va.
For what period enlisted 3 years
Eyes Grey; hair Dark
Complexion Dark; height 5 ft 9 in
When mustered in Feb. 20, 1864
Muster-in to date Feb. 13, 1864
Where mustered in Stevensburg, Va.
Bounty due $60/100
Where credited 7th Cong. Dist. Penn

William A. Zeiders Corp, Co. I, 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf. Appears on Company Muster Roll for dated Oct 31, 1864 Present or absent Absent

Remarks: Vet. 2, 3 installment Bounty due him $100.00 missing May 12/64

William A. Zeiders Corp, Co. I, 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf. Appears on Company Muster Roll for Nov & Dec, 1864 Present or absent absent

Remarks: Vet. 2d 3d install Bounty due $100.00 missing May 12/64

William A. Ziders Corpl, Co. I, 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf. Appears on Company Muster Roll for Jan & Feb, 1865 Present or absent absent

Remarks: Vet. 3d 4th Install Bounty due $100.00 Missing since May 12/64

William A. Zeider Corp, Co. I, 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf. Appears on Muster Roll of paroled prisoners of war assigned to 1 Batt’n, Paroled Prisoners,* for Jan & Feb, 1865 Station Camp Parole Annapolis Md Present or absent Present

*This organization was formed from paroled prisoners of war for duty compatible with their parole by G. O. No. 72, A. G. O., of June 28, 1862, and the members were returned to their commands, from time to time, by G. O. No. 10, A. G. O., of January 10, 1863, and subsequent orders from the A. G. O., declaring the exchange of paroled prisoners and directing their return to their commands.

William A. Zeiders Corpl, Co. I, 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf. Appears on Company Muster Roll for Mar & Apr, 1865 Present or absent absent

Due Gov’t, $126/100 for Transcptn

Remarks: Vet. 3d 4th Install Bounty due $100.00 Missing since May 12/64

William A. Zeiders Pvt, Co. I, 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf. Appears on a Detachment Muster-out Roll of the organization named above, for Mch & April, 1865. Station Camp Parole, Annapolis, Md Present or absent Present

Remarks: On parole, Camp Parole, Md.

William A. Zeider Corp, Co. I, 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf. Age 18 years. Appears on Co. Muster-out Roll, dated near Alexandria Va June 30, 1865. Muster-out to date June 30, 1865. Last paid to Apr 31, 1865.

Clothing account: Due soldier $75 13/100

Bounty paid $162 /100; due $240 /100
Remarks: Vet. Due US for
Transportation $4.62.
Promoted to Corp. Dec. 1/64

Wm A. Zeiders Corp, Co. I, 53 Reg’t Pennsylvania Inf. Appears on Returns as follows: Jan. 1863 – absent sick or wounded – in G. H.

Aug. to Nov. 1863 – absent for drafted men

Mch, 1864 absent on vet Furlough.

Regular DOC
01-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Sorry Brian -- I misread your question. To discharge a soldier from the service, you need six papers: one Descriptive List, two certificates of disability, two Final Statements, and a Discharge, all of which is described in excrutiating detail in the Manual cited above (starting on page 163), which also has examples of the forms. There are variations in the regular and volunteer service, and for officers. Enjoy.

Thanks. See this is what I would really like to buckle down and put into practice. The mundane tasks of the surgeons when it comes to running the hospitals. See ya Saturday