PDA

View Full Version : off subject slightly

bgent
12-29-2008, 11:49 PM
I am considering the purchase of a wall tent for several reasons the size of which is 8X10X7 my question is do I really need two doors?

I do have an extra tarp to place over the top if needed and I dont plan to stay in the tent during the day

Spinster
12-30-2008, 12:18 AM
The second door simply makes the tent more versatile and makes a great deal of difference in ventilation.

We've also had occassion to set tents together end to end, choo-choo train style, in very inclement weather, to corral children, or to serve a meal under canvas.

Second door also makes it possible to stake one side and raise the other on poles for a very large shelter in warm weather.

For the small price differential, the utility gained is worthwhile to us, and makes the tent more attractive on resale.

Regular DOC
12-30-2008, 12:34 PM
You can also see in Photos that many of the tents used for hospitals were open at both ends. Granted that would be a small tent but you ge tthe point.

Elaine Kessinger
12-31-2008, 02:00 AM
not that I would recomend this for ANYONE off of sutler row without a heap-big load of research... my wall tent for my "dressmaking salon away from the salon" has not only front and back doors, but a removable barrier "door" that ties to the sides to split the tent into two "rooms". open the front and/or back doors for ventilation, or close the removable door for dressing room or keeping my "living quarters" seperate from "salon" area. At the few events that will take a wall tent in the "civilian" areas, it can be set up without the barrier door for a more documented period look. It fits my needs.:)

bgent
01-06-2009, 10:18 PM
have purchased my wall tent i did get the two doors and also ordered ground loops to be placed on the bottom for added stability and ease of set up as well I did get a sod cloth and 2 tarps

found a sleeved device to join 2 2x4s for the ridge pole complete with the hardware for 19.95-- Anyone who would like to get one I will send you the link NP

The tent should arrive in 2-3 weeks im in no rush as our first reenactment is april I should be all set to do my thing all thats left is to get several cots for a ward anyone know an army surplus that sells em or has some for sale contact me please

again thanks to all

Spinster
01-07-2009, 08:26 PM
New, high quality, very sturdy wood frame canvas cots can be purchased from Tentsmiths

www.tentsmiths.com (http://www.tentsmiths.com)

We utilized these for nearly a decade of hard use with 'ample-sized' folks and they are still in great shape. Right now, I'm using a version of the period Prairie Traveler bed, from Kay Gnagy's establishment.

http://www.originals-by-kay.com/

They may not show up on the website--this is a 'pick up the phone' sort of thing.

catspjamas
01-19-2009, 04:27 PM
I'd be interested in the ridge pole sleeve link. I made one, but it's not holding up very well, even though it's made out of sheet metal. I don't believe I have the ends overlapped enough. Anyway, I need to get a new one. I got my cot at an antique store, unfortunately, the canvas had dry rotted, and I've spent more on trying to replace the canvas than I did on the cot. So I've given up on the cot, and made a mattress.

Joni

bgent
01-24-2009, 10:24 AM
blockade runner sells item # t032 for 19.95 to join poles (2X4) and if your getting rid of the cot idea I might be interested in buying it contact me on here or my e mail