PDA

View Full Version : Show of hands

Hondo
07-18-2006, 05:12 PM
Who will be attending Manassas this weekend? Yes I mean the 145th at Cedar Creek.

Hondo

flattop32355
07-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Who will be attending Manassas this weekend? Yes I mean the 145th at Cedar Creek.Hondo

Gave it some thought, then decided I'd go piss off Charles Heath at 2nd Manassas in August instead.

VaTrooper
07-18-2006, 10:44 PM
Im heading there.

Scottish Songbird
07-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Oh Man.... I remember the 125th of Mannassas!!! Scary...:eek:
Have I been in this hobby a long time or what?!?!?!?

Jim Mayo
07-19-2006, 06:05 AM

Me too. The 125th cured me of Manassasisties. I never had the urge to revisit that event at this time of the year. I remember looking back over the field and thinking "this looks about right for a field of killed and wounded". Many of those folks were in some stage of heat exhaustion. The little grove of trees that was nearby took on the look of a field hospital. Maybe the new location will be a little cooler.

Regular3
07-19-2006, 07:22 AM
Well - Yeah. But then, I was at the 120th of Kernstown & Cedar Mountain, so I was already a "veteran" when the 125th cycle came around.

And talk about scary - there are still a few really old timers who were participants during the Centennial. Think you'll still be doing this in your 60s or 70s?

Scottish Songbird
07-19-2006, 08:10 AM
Well - Yeah. But then, I was at the 120th of Kernstown & Cedar Mountain, so I was already a "veteran" when the 125th cycle came around.

And talk about scary - there are still a few really old timers who were participants during the Centennial. Think you'll still be doing this in your 60s or 70s?

Well, I'm 42 now....hey I started young (I was 16)!!! So, wow I guess I can only hope, right? I do still love it though!!!

TheSignalCorpsGuy
07-19-2006, 08:39 AM
Who will be attending Manassas this weekend? Yes I mean the 145th at Cedar Creek.Hondo

Yes - Signal Corps of the James (I'm their Sgt) will be attending. We are ANV's Signal Detachment and will be camped somewhere in the CS HQ Area if anybody wants to stop by.

This event is different than the one 5 years ago!

Event Commanders have learned from the lack of water, porta-lets, and wood. It's sort of understood that if they aren't supplied in abundance that we'll bivouac from Friday to Sunday afternoon.

Gettysburg 140th was a good example. Everything was in ample suply - even ice on the field.

As to the heat - YES It's going to be hot - but not as hot as it is now! I live in Va Beach. It's 94 today with a heat index of 105. At Middletown it's 9 degrees cooler with a heat index of 12 degrees cooler. So - yes - it's hot - but it's well away from the coast and affected more by the mountains weather than the coastal planes weather. (it'll be 60 during the nights). And we all know that ther'es ALWAYS a breeze at CC.

For you guys who went to Rich Mountain. It's a LOT of walking - stay home and rest! :-)

Have a great weekend regardless of what you are doing!

Keep those of us who are GOING to 1st Manassas in your thoughts and prayers.

Altecfive
07-19-2006, 10:21 AM
Well the 95th PVI will be attending with Vincent's Brigade. I know everyone has been talking about how long its been since they started re-enacting. Our Colonel, Ron Palese's first re-enactment was the 100th Gettysburg. Imagine that!!!!!

Scottish Songbird
07-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Me too. The 125th cured me of Manassasisties. I never had the urge to revisit that event at this time of the year. I remember looking back over the field and thinking "this looks about right for a field of killed and wounded". Many of those folks were in some stage of heat exhaustion. The little grove of trees that was nearby took on the look of a field hospital. Maybe the new location will be a little cooler.

You're right Jim, the heat was incredible!!! I hope all those "brave lads" will drink lots of water and take care of themselves this year.:) Have fun...wish I could be there!!!!!

blueYankee
07-19-2006, 12:56 PM
My group from CT is heading down...tho we are going as generic Infantry cause the orignial unit we portray did not actually hit Middletown, VA (Cedar Creek) till the fall of '64. If you want to play..you have to be flexable!!!

TJ Bartel
07-19-2006, 09:39 PM
Temps are supposed to be 88 degrees on Friday, 80 on Saturday, and 79 for Sunday.

Chuck A Luck
07-20-2006, 11:11 AM
Temps are supposed to be 88 degrees on Friday, 80 on Saturday, and 79 for Sunday.
Lawdy me. It'll be so cool we won't know what to do! :)

cwrematchr
07-21-2006, 07:31 AM

But as we all have found out, it's 50%-60% chance of rain too. That's why it's suppose to be cooler!

VaTrooper
07-21-2006, 10:02 AM
Loading up my horsie now. Be safe in your travels everyone!

BobSullivanPress
07-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Sullivan Press will be there.

And I remember the 110th Gettysburg.